• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Does Duracoat fill engravings in receiver/barrel??

Schleifalot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2006
Bavarian Forrest, Germany
After testfiring my Tikka T3 Supervarmint (stainless)in its new (used) RCS AI-clone chassis, I am waiting for some Duracoat to arrive.

Does Duracoat fill the engravings in the receiver and barrel with the first layer, or can the serial number still be read?
Over here the markings and test firing stamp are required to be readable. But I don't want to have stainless shiny spots on my rifle.

I want to coat the rifle with two or three layers. Before spraying on the last layer, I intend to remove the stencils over the markings.
Will they still be readable?

Thanks from a Duracoat novice.

BTW, it shoots great. Yesterday I lost a beer to a buddy at the range. We shot ten rounds at a paper target at 300m, the target nearly identical to that in the bartlein ad. I got 93 rings, he 94. No worries, I lost to an AIAE with a good jockey
wink.gif

Re: Does Duracoat fill engravings in receiver/barrel??

you would really have to lay it on thick to fill in engraving or it would have to be super shallow engraving.

just get ya some durafil and be done with it. It will if you put enough on it, but your going to have to do it in coats. Besure to give it ample time to flash in between coats. Flash means to let the "wet" look go away.

Duracoat will be fine for what you want to do. It would take a hugh amount of duracoat to fill in the engravings.

I had a Smith's engraving mark get covered in one coat, granted the engravement was pretty light and shallow. I would think anything from the factory would be fine.

Very light machining marks will be covered, as well as very light engraving or etching.

It won't cover the factory 700 markings on the side of the receiver.

Thank you all for the info. I'll try coating without covering the markings. They are quite deep.

Still waiting for my Duracoat....

It is done!!

Two hours ago I coated my Tikka.
The engravings are clearly readable after coating.
I am really itchy to asemble it and go shooting with it again....

Must resist.....

I will inform you, how the coating holds up. But dont wait for extreme testing or something tacticool, I'm just a target shooter with an liking for tactilooking guns.