• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does FOV coincide with the change in mag?

KevinWood44

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2021
NY
This may be a rookie question and perhaps obvious but I don't know so figured I'd ask....

If FOV at 1x is say 100ft, would be be 50ft at 2x? 25ft at 4x? and so fourth?

I am looking for a scope for an SPR AR 15....not sure if I should go with 1-10x, 2-12x, 2.5-20x, 3-18x just want to be able to calculate the FOV differences

Thanks.

Short answer is, Yes you are correct.

If trying to calculate the FOV of a scope at 1x, work it our with both the high and low magnification specs.
If the scope tunnels on low magnification using the lower spec will give you an incorrect result.

Also if you come across any results that don't seem to be right you can look at the same models from a product range and they'll often have the same 1x specs.
This isn't always true but can help you troubleshoot why specs are out, often companies will round the magnification to a whole number, so will throw out your results.

Reactions: longshot2000
Short answer is, Yes you are correct.

If trying to calculate the FOV of a scope at 1x, work it our with both the high and low magnification specs.
If the scope tunnels on low magnification using the lower spec will give you an incorrect result.

Also if you come across any results that don't seem to be right you can look at the same models from a product range and they'll often have the same 1x specs.
This isn't always true but can help you troubleshoot why specs are out, often companies will round the magnification to a whole number, so will throw out your results.
Thank you I appreciate the help