• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does Lapua Factory 6.5 Creedmoor Cartridges use Small or Large Primer Brass?

djcsmith

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2022
Canada
When you buy Lapua loaded factory cartridges in 6.5CM, do they come with small or large primer brass?

Whenever I have purchased them they were LRP lapua brass. I have probably bought 4-5 cases in my time, last one being early last year.

I believe the 6.5cm was designed with a LRP. I've not found ANY difference in accuracy and I've tested it quite a bit. LRP are more reliable in some more extreme conditions also. Lapua has said that they tested it and they found SRP to produce better accuracy so they changed to using SRP, so there is that. I think the main reason some guys run SRP in 6.5cm is because they think they can get away with running hotter load with SRP and not effect the brass life as much as well. I think.... I haven't ever tested that nor seen any testing for that so I don't know about that, maybe it's true maybe it isn't.

Reactions: Islas82
Thanks for the replies.
I finally got hold of supplier that I used to order on-line, and he checked the boxes.
This batch, at least, is small rifle primers.
(one advantage of buying from a small retailer; the big box suppliers wouldn't do this)
I have no preferences personally, but primers are still scarce here, and I have a much larger supply of small rifle primers.
This is a new caliber for me, and I was going to use the factory rounds as a benchmark, get me shooting until I can get a load developed, and use the brass for reloads.

I believe the 6.5cm was designed with a LRP. I've not found ANY difference in accuracy and I've tested it quite a bit. LRP are more reliable in some more extreme conditions also. Lapua has said that they tested it and they found SRP to produce better accuracy so they changed to using SRP, so there is that. I think the main reason some guys run SRP in 6.5cm is because they think they can get away with running hotter load with SRP and not effect the brass life as much as well. I think.... I haven't ever tested that nor seen any testing for that so I don't know about that, maybe it's true maybe it isn't.
Yes, it's true . . . SRP pockets hold up to pressure better than LRP's. It's really not hard to understand why given that smaller pockets means there more material/mass for the pressure to act upon. When using hot loads, the smaller pockets will not loosen up as soon or as easily.

SRP's do have a different ignition temperature, so they'll not perform exactly as the LPR's. Which works best depends a lot on the particular powder one is using and how much of it for a particular projectile. The only way to find out which works best for your load is to test and see what kind of results you get.

Yes, it's true . . . SRP pockets hold up to pressure better than LRP's. It's really not hard to understand why given that smaller pockets means there more material/mass for the pressure to act upon. When using hot loads, the smaller pockets will not loosen up as soon or as easily.

SRP's do have a different ignition temperature, so they'll not perform exactly as the LPR's. Which works best depends a lot on the particular powder one is using and how much of it for a particular projectile. The only way to find out which works best for your load is to test and see what kind of results you get.

Yeah I wouldn't doubt that it does handle pressure a little better just because there's more brass there with SRP, I'm not sure how much difference we are talking about and yes I'm sure its heavily dependant on the particular combo being shot. It didn't make any difference for me with 6.5staball or H4350 (I think, it's been a few years since so I could be off on the powders I used to test that). Either way, the main point is that "to know I it matters at all, you have to test it in your gun with your components" , like most things when it comes to loading.

Reactions: straightshooter1
For Berger factory ammo It depends on which bullet you’re buying the ammo in.
Some versions (all the early stuff) were SRP. Examples are 135 classic hunter, 120 scenar, 130/140 hybrid.
Based on their website all the stuff coming out now is LRP and will be listed as such. Examples are 144 LRHT, 153.5 LRHT, 156 EOL.
Some they made in both - 130/140 hybrids for example.

Easiest way to tell is look at the part number on the Berger box. If it ends in a “0” it will be SRP. If it ends in a “1” it will be LRP.

Reactions: K80/6.5