• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does Muzzle Brake timing affect accuracy?

Eurodriver

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2011
USA
See pic for amount of timing it is off. I can’t find a combination of shims that get it closer, and this is with two packs. Note the pencil marks.

Just wondering if this has any appreciable effect on accuracy. For what it’s worth, it is an MPA Switch lug in 6.5 creedmoor.

0F2DCF14-6289-41EB-B03F-4457D27FDEB9.jpeg

Not as far as the ports are concerned. Will just affect how the gun moves or reacts to the recoil with the gas direction from brake.

Now......timing can affect accuracy in the same way a barrel tuner does.

So, answer is yes, but not in the way I think you’re asking.

Not as far as the ports are concerned. Will just affect how the gun moves or reacts to the recoil with the gas direction from brake.

Now......timing can affect accuracy in the same way a barrel tuner does.

So, answer is yes, but not in the way I think you’re asking.

Go on...

Would love to know what you’re speaking about even if it isn’t applicable to my situation.

Harmonics. If you were to turn the brake out a couple turns it would affect how the barrel reacts to pressure spikes of the fired round. I was/am struggling with accuracy issues on a Seekins Havak. I tried turning the brake out a turn. It didn't get more or less accurate, but the spread changed from vertical to about 45°.
You can try sanding a shim on a sharpening stone, or see if adding a few more will turn it out to be lined up better.

I had a similar situation and wound up making a paper shim. It timed the brake perfectly. I'm not saying I recommend it, but I tried it and it worked on that particular application......

I was able to get it by just torquing it a bit more than usual. I usually use about 5 ft pounds (basically hand tight) to keep the effect on the muzzle as little as possible but nudged it up to 10 and it got it just right. I’m hoping with 5/8x24 threads 10ft lbs shouldn’t have too much of an effect on accuracy.

Still, would be curious on the thoughts of others.

Go on...

Would love to know what you’re speaking about even if it isn’t applicable to my situation.

Barrel tuners are used in a method called "positive compensation" in order to change the harmonics of the barrel such that it tightens groups at a set distance. The purpose is to optimize barrel harmonics to improve (a la decrease) your vertical spread at a set distance. It's a common method employed by benchrest shooters who are shooting at a set distance (say, 1000 yards).

Not really relevant in our discipline, as we are shooting our rifles from 100 yards to 1 mile or more and everywhere in between. Positive compensation only works for one set distance.

006" over bullet diameter is too tight on clearance. I've seen muzzle brakes with either not enough clearance or the work not properly done and you get bullet strikes on the i.d. of the brake.

Brakes not installed properly can cause accuracy issues. Too tight and you can constrict/change the barrels bore dimensions in the worst spot...right at the muzzles crown. If the brake becomes loose it will effect vibrations and effect accuracy as well.

Even with muzzle brakes on barrels I've seen damaged to the muzzles crown.

Also depending on how the barrel is made...if there is any residual stress at the muzzle end....when you do the muzzle threading you can make the bore go sour/open up. This will have a negative effect on accuracy.

This thread is just about a brake affecting accuracy, it is not about the timing specifically.

Of course a misaligned brake, improper threads, etc can cause accuracy issues.

In hindsight, I guess a brake timed a bit off wouldn’t cause any accuracy issues all other things being equal. The bullet doesn’t know whether the rifle is at an angle or not and the barrel is a circle.

1. Recoil reduction is certainly important but certainly not the only parameter of importance.

2. The ability to stay on target is very high on my list – an asymmetrical design helps do this more easily.

3. Some (barrel) harmonic tuneability of the brake is also desirable, the ability to turn the 5 Star Brake complete revolutions either in or out (and lock in place) will yield at least one sweet spot which will allow your rifle to shoot smaller groups.

4. Being able to comfortably use this brake with either a set of ear plugs or a set of ear muffs is important. Brakes which blow the gas to the rear require me to use both plugs and muffs.

5. A brake which will conform to the International Benchrest Shooters rules is always a plus.

6. A brake whose ports are positioned so as not to disturb the ground in front (no dirt blown on myself or a competitor next door).

7. While I am completely in agreement that an effective brake for a 40 gr capacity case only needs 3 or 4 sets of ports to be very effective, a 90 grain capacity case will effectively utilize all 5 sets of ports. If desired you can machine off a complete set of ports and still have an effective and good looking brake.

8. Thread diameters of smaller than 5/8” are suspect in my opinion for bores larger than 6mm. The 5 Star brake is a ¾ x24 tpi design. Threaded adapter sleeves in 5/8 x 24 tpi are available if you already have your muzzle threaded as such.

The 5 Star brake accomplishes all of the 8 parameters outlined above. It contains 5 star shaped (10 exit ports) exit angled muzzle blast portals along with an asymmetrical design.

It is supplied with a trailing locking nut so as to facilitate brake placement for tuneability.

Threads are ¾ x 24 tpi so bore diameters up thru .375 caliber have enough body wall thickness for peace of mind.

Reactions: shooter65