• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does my buddy need mildots/ help choose scope...

wheelchairman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2008
Lebanon Mo
I have a buddy who is looking to scope his Remington 700 SPS in .243. The primary use for this gun will be at the range and starting to do competitions for fun. The rifle will see alot of use at 100, 400 every now and again and 800 about every other month.

He pretty much has it narrowed down to
1. Nikon Monarch in either 4-16 or 5-20. He might have to get Nikoplex depending on what deal he finds on this scope.
2. Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 Mildot
3. Super Sniper 16x

I'm not totally convinced he needs a mil-dot since the ranges will be known + or - 10 yards or so. This does help dictate what scope he chooses as a deal on the monarch in mil-dot might be harder to find than a nikoplex. What would you do?

Re: Does my buddy need mildots/ help choose scope...

Hey Im "the buddy" I just joined... Im also considering a Vortex 6.5-20x44.

I'm a firm believer in a mildot reticle. I won't buy a scope without one now. Even if you're shooting know distances, the wind will still be a factor. Not so much at 200 but, 800 is a different story. Being able to see your misses, measure them (with the reticle) and make corrections is why you need it.

If you have to ask...you do not need it.