• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does new vs fired brass change your POI and FPS?

Sokam101

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2020
Im new into reloading for rifle. I just got some new lapua brass and the first 5 shots I took they were very consistent with new brass. Will my fps or POI change when they are once fired?

I anneal, full length resize and bump the shoulder about 2 thousands.

Fireformed brass can give you a bit more speed from what I've seen. However, let's wait to see if one of the reloading experts will chime in with a more detailed response.

In some but not all brass and depends on caliber I have seen a small POI change and the need to adjust my load a couple of 10ths. In a new rifle I get a basic load worked up for the fist 50 rounds then focus and getting the load dialed in.

99% of the time, fired brass will run faster velocity all other variables held constant.
90+% of 99% will also cause a slight POI change @ 100.

Adjust charge in fired brass, problem solved.

Reactions: CSchol
Fired will be faster, slightly. Like 20-40 FPS in a creedmoor sized case. I don’t think you’ll notice the poi change.

Reactions: CSchol