• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Does nv mount need to be the same inclination as optic?

Brym427

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2021
PA
Looking for some help. Does it matter if i use a nv mount that is 0 moa and my scope is at 20moa?

As a rule of thumb, ideally you want same plane and same height.

Properly collimated i2 optics are extremely tolerable to offset.

Collimated thermals are a bit more sensitive to offset in my experience.

User collimated thermals don’t seem to suffer as much with offset because the user sets the zero. And that’s also the Achilles heal, always adjusting zero from system to system.

As a rule of thumb, ideally you want same plane and same height.

Properly collimated i2 optics are extremely tolerable to offset.

Collimated thermals are a bit more sensitive to offset in my experience.

User collimated thermals don’t seem to suffer as much with offset because the user sets the zero. And that’s also the Achilles heal, always adjusting zero from system to system.
Not OP, but question: if my scope is inclined at 20moa, can I use a NV mount at 20MOA (let’s say on a NV bridge or just an Mlok section section of pic rail)? Will that be on the same plane?
Or does it have to be one continuous rail rail on the same 20MOA incline (like an AXMC has).
Sorry if this is a basic question.

Not OP, but question: if my scope is inclined at 20moa, can I use a NV mount at 20MOA (let’s say on a NV bridge or just an Mlok section section of pic rail)? Will that be on the same plane?
Or does it have to be one continuous rail rail on the same 20MOA incline (like an AXMC has).
Sorry if this is a basic question.

It doesn't have to be a continuous rail, but I'd opt for it given the choice.
If we're talking i2, I wouldn't let it keep me up at night.

If you are using a pvs27 or pvs30, Terry Cross has stated many times that he has held them in front of students rifles (not mounted to front rail) to demonstrate no impact shift. My experience with the cnvd-lr (and it could have been the unit) was that it was more picky about this. It is not major and def repeatable. I found that the pvs30s typically have the same shift rifle to rifle across 0moa, 10moa, 20moa, etc cants.