• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does Schmidt and Bender change reticles?

Kyle Kelly

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2013
Ohio
So i'm looking at getting a MTC LT PM II and it has the P4 fine reticle and i'm not super crazy about, my first question is does S&B change reticles? also what base would you recommend 20 or 30 moa?

Yes, but it aint cheap. About $500-600 to put a Horus reticle in a couple years ago

What reticle do you want? The 5-600 quoted above probably reflects the fact that Horus reticles cost several hundred more to begin with. What cartridge will you be shooting, and how far? Also, some folks don't care for the MTC turrets, so you may want to also consider the DT turret options as well.

I would get a MSR reticle. The reason I ask is because Euro Optics has a pretty sweet deal on a 5-25 but with the P4F. then the reason I asked about the base was because Frank did the video on the 3-20 a few years back and said they required a aggressive base. currently shooting a .308 currently but 6.5 Creedmor in the near future. to a little over 1000yds. also considering just getting a NF ATACR with the Mil-C.

Yes, but it aint cheap. About $500-600 to put a Horus reticle in a couple years ago

Curious, where did you send it? US or Germany? I agree with vh20, at least half of that is for the Horus. But, if that means $200 to change a reticle, that is good to know. Lots of P4F's out there, and that reticle just doesn't light my fire. I have a 5-25 in Tr-2, and it is great.

At some point, I want a 3-20 US, and some of the deals out there are pretty good. I have been buying direct in volume from Germany, and getting super deals with a dozen or so scopes for friends, and with the Euro down from last year many of the net prices were $500 to $1,000 lower, but recently, some of the pricing at US dealers is getting close. Especially recently at Euro Optic, Optics Planet and Mile High.

There is a facility in USA who does it. Call SB USA

I would get a MSR reticle. The reason I ask is because Euro Optics has a pretty sweet deal on a 5-25 but with the P4F. then the reason I asked about the base was because Frank did the video on the 3-20 a few years back and said they required a aggressive base. currently shooting a .308 currently but 6.5 Creedmor in the near future. to a little over 1000yds. also considering just getting a NF ATACR with the Mil-C.

5-25 PMII will go to 1000 on a 6.5 CM with 0 MOA (flat) base with no trouble. I have a 34mm tube Mk4 on a 6.5 CM Tikka with a flat base and have shot it to 1300 and had room to spare. I also have a PMII 5-25 on another 6.5 with a 20MOA base. At 1300 it only needs just a touch over 13 mils @ 1300.

I want to re-open this thread, and see if I can get a better answer regarding reticle changes and service, in general. I sent a note to S&B service in the US, but given the weekend, I suspect it will be days before I get an answer.

So, three questions about S&B service, for anyone who has used it.

1) for standard reticle changes on a PM-II 5-25, what is the charge?
2) has anyone had turrets changed, or replaced damaged turret caps?
3) The RAL 8000 and Pantone finish seems to get scratched quicker than black. I have black and Pantone. Will S&B re-coat the scope for a fee (if so, how much does it cost)?

Thanks in advance. Again, looking for those with direct experience, not opinions, like, 'why don't sell what you have and buy what you need?' or 'a scope is tool, not beauty contest.'

S&B service center
204 McGhee Rd
Winchester, VA 22603
USA
Phone +1 (540) 450 8132

Dont quote me but I believe it was 550 to swap a reticle and Ive done this a couple times. and yes they change knobs which ive also done a couple times. I dont remember what that cost on latter..They do a great job and make sure everything is perfect.
Im not sure about the paint finish..better you ask them.

Unless you're getting a truly spectacular discount on the PF4 scope, after adding up the cost of changing reticle, any savings would be negligible. Might be better to just buy one that already has the MSR.

For the record, I got a note from S&B today, and for the benefit of the group: "Reticle replacements can be performed here for a cost of $550.00 for standard offerings. The MSR has an additional $200 licensing fee attached to the cost for a total of $750 and all Horus reticles have a licensing fee of $350.00 for a total of $900.00." Nice service, but a little more pricey than, say, the Leupold Custom Shop.

For the record, I got a note from S&B today, and for the benefit of the group: "Reticle replacements can be performed here for a cost of $550.00 for standard offerings. The MSR has an additional $200 licensing fee attached to the cost for a total of $750 and all Horus reticles have a licensing fee of $350.00 for a total of $900.00." Nice service, but a little more pricey than, say, the Leupold Custom Shop.
Great info, thanks