• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Does such an action exist?

Walsh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Hey I was wondering if there were an action that had these features:

2.5-3 pound weight
CRF
Built in 20MOA rail
Built in recoil lug
3 position safter
Accepts Remington 700 style triggers
Accepts AI magazines
Quick Change barrel like the DTA SRS
Theaded tactical bolt knob
1 peice bolt
3.5" of barrel threading including recoil lug

In other words, an FN SPR action with a built in rail, recoil lug, Rem. 700 trigger, QC barrel system?

If there is, then PLEASE let me know about it or know a company that could make this action.

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

Re: Does such an action exist?

The closest I think you would get would be to use one of the surgeon actions as a switch barrel, and install a Gentry or similar safety.

Surgeon 591 is the best you are going to be able to do.

3.5" of barrel thread...really? Sorry, that just stuck out for me. 50 cals don't have that kind of thread engagement.

I did think about the Surgeon 591, and it has everything I need (3 position saftey isn't a big deal) but CRF. Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

Last I called the CRF action's still were in R&D at McM,

So, I understand that the UGSW action has a claw extractor, but I read that it isn't a true CRF, what is it then?

I wonder if Defiance Machine could make a 1 time custom action?

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

I'm digging the floating action concept, looks very effective. Mabey I need to adandon the QC barrel requirement, and just buy a DTA SRS for that want, seems like a good enough excuse eh?

Is the M2008 action a push-feed?

Thanks, and please keep the suggestions coming,
P.B.Walsh

Walsh- Are you actually going to build a rifle or are "e-gunsmithing"? IIRC from some of your previous posts, you are 16 years old, correct?

I'd have had a helluva time swinging a $4000 custom when I was 16.

More power to you if you are...

Yes, I am only 16.

Just trying to know whats out there and learn all I can.

Just really like these features and wanterd to know if there was any maker of such. Through this I have learned of a few things that I can put on my Remington 700 to make it the way I want it such as a claw extractor, and I read that Kevin Wyatt is trying to design a CRF modification for a Remington 700 bolt.

So for now I am trying to save $1500 ($1200 so far!!) to purchase a RTS (Eliseo) tubegun stock, cut my barrel back to 16.5", and add AR iron sights. Then I will try and save for a custom bolt knob, some mods like Wyatt's CRF or claw extractor. and an AAC flash suppresor.

Like I said, just trying to learn more and have a better understading of rifles.

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

Have you had a chance to shoot any of the rifles/stocks, etc about which you are reading? If not, I suggest you figure out a way to hook up with a mentor who can teach you a thing or two firsthand.

As an example, there is NOTHING wrong with a stock remington bolt. You are fixing a problem that really does not exist.

Young Paduan, find yourself a Yoda! I admire the spirit, but your cash may be better spent than on a short barreled iron sight tube gun.

www.snipershide.com

This is my teacher^^^^^

Seriously, my relitaves and friends are the "hunting" type and don't really care about stuff like this.

The reason for the tubegun is because I want a short handy rifle for deer in Alabama. Can't wait to learn how to reload if my mom lets me.

And for the bolt mods, those are just "mabeys" that I will probally never get done, we'll just have to see if I can get a summer job or not.

I think that I will love the feel of a tubegun becuse I have shot an AR15 and love the the it handles.

I don't have anyone to talk to but ya'll, thanks,
P.B.Walsh