• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does the 7WSM Have Anything on the Good 'Ole 7mag?

Pbailey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Oregon
I am putting together a rifle built off of a Stevens action w/magnum bolt head, Rifle Basix Trigger, Muscle Break, SSS recoil lug, Stockade Stock, and Vortex optics...the only thing I have not decided on %100 yet, is caliber and barrel.

I know the F-class guys are really liking the WSM these days, but can I go wrong with the tried and true 7mm Remington Magnum?

I reload, and will be using this rifle for deer out to about 800. I am planning on using 168 and 180 Bergers.

Please give any input that you wish! A recommendation for a Savage drop in would be nice! I am looking at Pac-nor or McGowen at the moment...

Thank you!

Re: Does the 7WSM Have Anything on the Good 'Ole 7mag?

The short mag sure looks cooler and that's really what rifles are all about.

You can however get more steam out of a rem mag.

I've shot the wheels off more than one 7mmRM and can have/build any caliber I want. I now run a 7-300wsm but, I hear great things about the 7SAUM
wink.gif

180 Berger VLD's at 2,920 fps out of my 7-300, some get 2,950 from their 7SAUM.

I'd skip the 7wsm but thats just me.

I love my 7wsm, but I don't know that it's better than anything else, it's just what I have. I'm shooting a 168gr VLD at 3,089fps with excellent accuracy way on out there. It's plenty of gun for anything in North America with the exception of maybe a grizzly at close range.

If you want a pre-fit barrel check with Jim at Northland Shooters Supply, he carry's CBI barrels who offer a 7 saum chambering.

I currently have a Stevens 200 build 260 with a CBI barrel and it shoots great.

I have two 7 Rem Mags and can't fault them in the least.
I think I am going to have to try the 7/300 though.

Thank you guys!

So I guess my question is...all things being equal, will a 7mm rem mag be just as accurate as a 7wsm?

Naturally, I think we all want as accurate of a rifle as we can have/make, and I am trying to put together the factors of accuracy, cost, barrel life, recoil, and effective range.

Thank you!

I have a 7mmWSM built on a model 70 action for hunting. I believe the 7mmWSM is the only short mag that doesn't have an advantage over the full sized caliber. The reason I went with it because I wanted a short action. Love the 7mm for a hunting caliber. Went with Hornady 154 interbond and will switch to 140 TSX's next year.

Goodluck with your build.

Dino

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Bailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess my question is...all things being equal, will a 7mm rem mag be just as accurate as a 7wsm?</div></div>

Yes, the 7mmRM will shoot in dots

The 7-300 is just a 300WSM or 270WSM necked up or down to 7mm, that’s all. Use Redding 300WSM or 270WSM Bushing dies with the appropriate bushing. The 7WSM Comp Seating die will work as well but I made mine by modifying a Wilson Inline 7WSM Die.

The 7WSM is the longest of the three, the 7-300WSM is in the middle and the 7SAUM is the shortest. None will work in the other as far as brass is concerned, each is to their own.

We put together a 7mm SAUM and I am pretty impressed. 22 MOA to 1k yards, 59 MOA to 1,800 yards using 180 gr Berger Hybrids.

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

We have a Rem 700 SPS 7mm RM as a donor rifles, might have to toy with it a big before tearing it down.

Anyone played with pointing their 7mm bullets?

Awesome rifle! How does it shoot?

I have a 7/300 wsm. It is very easy to process the brass and load, just like Roscoe stated.

Its a nice caliber.