• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does the MK22 (caliber changeability) make sense?

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
There are some options on the market that have user changeable barrels (and therefore, potential caliber changes compatible with the same action). When the MK22 first came out, I thought is was super cool. Now that I have learned more about scoped shooting, I'm wondering whether having the ability to swap calibers is even useful for a long range or precision application.

If you change calibers on a rifle that is already zeroed, it seems like the shooter would need to DOPE a bunch of different holds for the calibers his scope was not zeroed with. If you zero with .338NM and then switch to 7.62 NATO for whatever reason, what do you do with the optic?

Would it just be a matter of recording a different zero stop in your DOPE book for each caliber? And if so, how practical is that in actual practice?

Does the weapon have to be designed from the ground up for repeatable zero when switching barrels?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

My AXMC’s 300NM barrel had a POI shift of 1.1 mil up and .2 left relative to my 6.5 CM barrel. It was repeatable down to .2 in whatever direction however i did adjust the turrets and confirm zero each time i switched back and forth.

Sold that rifle and went back to a ‘one-rifle-per-cartridge’ set up.

Reactions: Naaman
I dont think they're running around playing musical barrels on operations. I’ll bet that like most here who own switch barrel guns(not @reubenski 😂), one barrel lives on the gun for most of its life. Certainly the gun’s data book has the shifts and corrections listed.

Yes, specific design for both easy barrel switches and return to zero.

My AXMC’s 300NM barrel had a POI shift of 1.1 mil up and .2 left relative to my 6.5 CM barrel. It was repeatable down to .2 in whatever direction however i did adjust the turrets and confirm zero each time i switched back and forth.

Sold that rifle and went back to a ‘one-rifle-per-cartridge’ set up.

The more I learn about shooting, the more I tend to feel that having a whole different gun makes the most sense, rather than trying to split the difference or maximize versatility.

I've been thinking about MAYBE getting into 6.5CM, but not sure I want to financially commit to another rifle, another scope, and the never ending list of "accessories" that support it. LOL.

I dont think they're running around playing musical barrels on operations. I’ll bet that like most here who own switch barrel guns(not @reubenski 😂), one barrel lives on the gun for most of its life. Certainly the gun’s data book has the shifts and corrections listed.

Yes, specific design for both easy barrel switches and return to zero.
I wouldn't imagine a lot of switching, either. Just wondering where the benefits are most realized (could it primarily be financial? Or is there real, major tactical value in having user changeable barrels/calibers)?

If you change calibers on a rifle that is already zeroed, it seems like the shooter would need to DOPE a bunch of different holds for the calibers his scope was not zeroed with. If you zero with .338NM and then switch to 7.62 NATO for whatever reason, what do you do with the optic?

Would it just be a matter of recording a different zero stop in your DOPE book for each caliber? And if so, how practical is that in actual practice?

Does the weapon have to be designed from the ground up for repeatable zero when switching barrels?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

You're way overthinking this

With a rifle like that, zero the rifle with each barrel at 100 yards. With a quality rifle, POI shift will be repeatable and documented in the rifle's data book.

You keep dope from a 100 yard zero for each caliber and you just use the correct dope for the correct caliber.

What makes you think that the designers and engineers of switch-barrel precision rifles didn't consider the repeatability of the barrel to receiver interface? Of course they did.

No its a stupid idea. Why would an end user want to be able to select the right tool for the job or the ability to train cheaper/at ranges that can only handle certain calibers?

Every US service has no idea what they are doing.

I am glad we have someone with your high level of experience and training on the subject to tell us how silly it is.

Just wondering where the benefits are most realized (could it primarily be financial? Or is there real, major tactical value in having user changeable barrels/calibers)?

The benefits depends on who you are and what you use the rifle for.

The military clearly sees advantages to having a sniper rifle that can quickly be changed from a mid range to a true long range cartridge in the field with minimal tools and minimal adjustment.

Whether you, me or anyone else sees that as a benefit is a completely different matter.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if switch barrel rifles don't make sense for you because they make sense for someone else.

No its a stupid idea. Why would an end user want to be able to select the right tool for the job or the ability to train cheaper/at ranges that can only handle certain calibers?

I am glad we have someone with your high level of experience and training on the subject to tell us how silly it is.
I dont think he was saying that at all.

The more I learn about shooting, the more I tend to feel that having a whole different gun makes the most sense, rather than trying to split the difference or maximize versatility.

What does that have to do with switch-barrel rifles?

In many European countries shooters are limited in the number of rifles the can own but not limited on the number of barrels they can have for one rifle. That is one big reason why many new European hunting rifle designs are switch barrel.

So what makes no sense to you might make perfect sense to the next person.

I've been thinking about MAYBE getting into 6.5CM, but not sure I want to financially commit to another rifle, another scope, and the never ending list of "accessories" that support it. LOL.

I wouldn't imagine a lot of switching, either. Just wondering where the benefits are most realized (could it primarily be financial? Or is there real, major tactical value in having user changeable barrels/calibers)?
Like anything else, it all boils down to your requirements and budget.

Seems like you reading comprehension is calibrated to interpret youtube click-bate titles. The post is a question seeking information from folks who know more than I do. Not intended as some kind of controversial remark to generate traffic.

We each have our ways of learning, though. I learn best through discussion. And when I say "learn" what I mean is taking information, converting it into understanding (as opposed to mere "knowledge") and being able to put that understanding into action.

On another note, I've learned a lot from your posts around here. So thank you for taking the time to contribute in general.

Reactions: 308pirate

In many European countries shooters are limited in the number of rifles the can own but not limited on the number of barrels they can have for one rifle. That is one big reason why many new European hunting rifle designs are switch barrel.

He didnt say he couldn't see a reason why anyone would want a switch barrel. Pretty sure he was just talking about himself.

No, man. What I'm getting at is that I WANT it to make sense to me, so I'm checking with others who can give insights that I haven't considered. Your comment is a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Thank you.(y)

Reactions: 308pirate
For some it's even less about switching calibers than switching barrels. Barrels are consumables, so being able to swap out a used one for a new one without the need of a gunsmith is quite nice.

For me, the AXMC I use for classes gives me a rifle to use for the PR7 class demos in .260Rem, then I can swap in the .338LM or a .300NM barrel for the XLR class. The POI change is in Field Firing Solutions, where I can either use the offset value and just dial the computed turret solution or dial and slip the knobs and note the new default caliber. Currently the gun in in .260, and a piece of tape applied to the scope notes it is zeroed for such.

I also switch ammo and it's the same thing, enter the offsets in the program, then select the desired round and dial the solution as computed. So in XLR, I can go from a 285gr ELD, to the 300gr Berger, to the factory RUAG 300gr or the RUAG AP round at will, just dial the presented turret solution.

For the military, think about packing up 4 full rifles setups vs 1 receiver setup and 4 barrels. That's one case on the pallet rather than 4.