• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does the RCA Adjustable Gas Key reduce gas to the face with suppressors?

Leicafan1990

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2022
USA
I am curious to hear from anyone running the RCA adjustable gas keys. Do they reduce gas to the face when shooting suppressed?

I wouldn’t think that they would since the full gas volume is still being dumped into the upper receiver. But people using the Bootleg adjustable carrier say it does noticeably reduce gas to the face so I would imagine the adjustable gas key would have the same effect since they are both restricting gas flow at the carrier.

I personally have no interest in running an adjustable gas block. I’m planning to split my time during the year between California and Arizona. No suppressors in CA unfortunately. So when I’m in Arizona, I would just mount the can and drop in the BCG with the adjustable gas key that I tuned to run with that suppressor. No other adjustments needed. That’s my thinking anyways. But I don’t want to get gas in the face so if the adjustable gas key doesn’t stop that, my only other option is a flow through can like a Huxwrx.

Thoughts?

Most gas in the face comes from the chamber, not the gas tube.

Interesting. So theoretically an adjustable key would help with gas to the face because it’s delaying the unlocking of the bolt which gives the gas more time to escape out the muzzle?

Reactions: Evintos
Interesting. So theoretically an adjustable key would help with gas to the face because it’s delaying the unlocking of the bolt which gives the gas more time to escape out the muzzle?
You got it. If you have OCD, you would notice more fouling (miniscule compared to early unlocking) from restricting at the gas key on the clover leaf area of the upper receiver and gas tube in that area compared to an adjustable gas block. This is dependent on how tight the seal is between the gas tube flange and gas key.

Your other option is to simply drop in a heavier buffer which would accomplish the same thing which is to delay unlocking of the bolt.

Last edited: