• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does this look like a scope issue?

Canis Latrans

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Near Albany, NY
Rifle: stock sps standard barrel
Scope: Bushnell 3200 Tactical 10x 1/4 MOA turrets
Rings: Signature Zee Rings
Base: EGW 20 MOA
Rest: Front and rear bags on bench
Range: 100 yards
Wind: 0-5 mph

I went to the range the other day and brought my .308 and had fun shooting off 3 rounds of handloads after practicing with the .22. The 3 round group measured .68". The group was about 3 inches high and half an inch right of the POA, so I adjusted down 11 clicks and left 1 click. The last shot I had ended up at 9 o'clock 1.5" left of the POA.

Went back today, with a very slightly tweaked load. The first 3 round group measured .382". It was off one inch at 3 o'clock, so I moved my windage 5 clicks left and fired 5 more rounds. I ended up with an ugly 2.5" horizontal spread, with about 3/4" of vertical spread.

I know I will have to make a larger batch of one consistent load to test this thoroughly, but does this look like a problem with my windage adjustment on my scope? It seems like every time I touch it something weird happens. Has anyone heard of a scope that tracks in a way where it moved the windage or elevation 3 or 4 times as much as it should?

First 3 shots of day 1, including cold bore shot.
IMG_1036.jpg

One and only shot after adjusting 11 clicks (2.75") down and 1 click (.25") left from the group above.
IMG_1037.jpg

Bottom is the first 3 round group of the day, including the cold bore shot. Above that is the 2.5" wide spread after I adjusted 5 clicks (1.25") left.
IMG_1038.jpg

I'm going to make some hand loads, and switch this and the Midway tactical scope on my .22, so I can see if the bushnell tracks right on the .22, and see if the other scope tracks right on the .308. I realize some might be thinking that my hand loads are to blame, but if that were the case I would expect much more vertical stringing that horizontal. Also, both times there was an issue was only after I touched the windage. Has anyone had something like this happen before? Thank you.

Re: Does this look like a scope issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time for a box test. That will rule out the scope. </div></div>

If he does that then factory match ammo.
Not his hand loads. It will rule out problems with his scope and rifle.

I was thinking of box-testing the scope with the .22 as the first test I do. I'm really just wondering if anyone has ever had an experience like this, and what the culprit was, or if anyone has heard of a scope doing this. Thanks guys.

Corey, It's when You put a dot on a target, shoot directly at it, move your windage say 10" right, shoot again. Move elevation 10" down, shoot again, move windage 10" left, shoot again. Finally move elevation 10" back up and shoot again. This last shot should hit right on top of your first shot, making the top left corner of the "box" of bullet holes. The other 3 shots make up the other corners of the box. For every shot, you aim at the same exact place, so that you are testing how dialing your scope knobs actually adjusts the point of impact. Get it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canis Latrans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking of box-testing the scope with the .22 as the first test I do. I'm really just wondering if anyone has ever had an experience like this, and what the culprit was, or if anyone has heard of a scope doing this. Thanks guys. </div></div>

It's not a fair comparison to a .308 but I had one on a M99
when Barrett shipped them with it mounted and bore sighted.

It broke after the 3rd round. The reticle was shooting 3 feet high at 100 yards and the elevation knob did nothing.

It's the only time I have ever used one. Sent it to Bushnell and they mailed me a new scope then sold it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canis Latrans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking of box-testing the scope with the .22 as the first test I do. I'm really just wondering if anyone has ever had an experience like this, and what the culprit was, or if anyone has heard of a scope doing this. Thanks guys. </div></div>

It's not a fair comparison to a .308 but I had one on a M99
when Barrett shipped them with it mounted and bore sighted.

It broke after the 3rd round. The reticle was shooting 3 feet high at 100 yards and the elevation knob did nothing.

It's the only time I have ever used one. Sent it to Bushnell and they mailed me a new scope then sold it. </div></div>

Shortly after, you then realized the things made by humans can fail. But not to worry...the greatest scope Bushnell has ever made is now in the hands of someone else.

You even acknowledge that your firing a demanding weapon system...as in demanding on ancillary equipment. And because it broke and the maker made things right you say fugum.</div></div>

Maybe less caffeine for you?

Some people like to start an argument on just about anything.

smile.gif

Use your good hand load and do the box test. Looks like the windage is a bit sticky, but comes around. Maybe it just needs a bit of exercising to come around....

Your loads look good and I would not change a thing on them right now. Also, whenever troubleshooting, only change ONE thing at a time

Yeah that's good advice, I know not to change multiple variables at the same time. Unfortunately I'm going to have to change the hand loads because I had some over pressure symptoms. I'm using 2.905" OAL with 42gr of IMR 4064, which I thought would be fine and I worked up to it in increments but apparently it's not. I'm going to go down to 2.80" OAL because apparently lots of people here use that with no problems and they all shoot better than me.

I'm gonna make three rounds at 2.80" starting at 42gr and working up in .4gr increments and shoot groups until I find an accurate one. I might deal with the scope before or after this.

Besides a huge gust of wind, is there anything else that changes horizontal spread like this but not vertical?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ain't mad...just surprised that you'd get rid of something and never see if it was in fact a fluke.

And also, not an attempt to start an argument but who trusts another guy to boresight his rifle? Everytime I've seen a guy come to the range with someone else's boresighting job...it ends up just being set in the rings and nothing more. Also, the other guy doesn't have your eye relief setup...so unless your sitting there with him I see no point.

Setting up your equipment is half the fun of buying new gear.</div></div>

It could have been a fluke or it's a scope that's not meant
for that kind of recoil. I didn't sell the new one because of what happnened with the first one. I'm just not a big fixed power
buyer when it comes to optics. The person that has it now is pretty happy with it.

Their customer service was top notch .

As for the bore sighting , it was right on when I checked it with my bore sighter so no need to change it.

If I remember right the first round hit the paper maybe 5 " low
and a couple of inches right.

Still have the rifle but it doesn't get as much use as it should.