• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does this require medical attention?

Jthoss0837

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Greenville, South Carolina
Never really lifted weights.
Started on the last Thursday in january.
My buddy pushed me really hard and we benched alot
Well I had delayed extreme soreness some minor swelling but a good deal of pain for the two to three days after.
Its still swollen.
Now it's almost a week. And I can't rep once on Bench and can't do one push up.
My right pec moves a bit more than my left when I flex and feels odd.
I could normally do about 40 push ups. Now not eve one without pain in my right pec
Anyone have some insight

Re: Does this require medical attention?

Your pain could be a number of things. I'd probably try ice and anti-inflammatories for a week and see if there's any improvement. Also, stop flexing, benching and doing push ups. There's no doubt that there is trauma to the area but if you cant move it and/or there is obvious deformity you should see a doctor sooner than later.

If you have a physical job and need to be off of work then I would go to the doctor's as soon as possible.

i havent done anything really strenuous lately since it happened.
I'll stop working out and try and get it to resolve itself. Last time I listen to anyone about working out. I'll just follow a beginners routine fuck.

/e i talked to my mother about the doctors, and she said its not a big deal, it will heal over time. Is there something i should worry about that needs a docs visit?

You really don't need to worry about it. A doctor will take x-rays and maybe a CT scan. It's a lot of money to spend on a sprain or a strain, however, they will be able to prescribe medications that will make the healing process a little more bearable.

The only major thing I can think of, related to your injury, would be a complete muscle/tendon tear that would need to be surgically reattached. From what I gather, you don't appear to have any nerve damage or fractures.

Also, keep in mind, you are not in front of me so I am not able to see the full picture. I am not a doctor either so please keep that in mind while reading my post in regards to your health and injury.

You need lots of protein and L-glutamine, and water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really don't need to worry about it. A doctor will take x-rays and maybe a CT scan. It's a lot of money to spend on a sprain or a strain, however, they will be able to prescribe medications that will make the healing process a little more bearable.

The only major thing I can think of, related to your injury, would be a complete muscle/tendon tear that would need to be surgically reattached. From what I gather, you don't appear to have any nerve damage or fractures.

Also, keep in mind, you are not in front of me so I am not able to see the full picture. I am not a doctor either so please keep that in mind while reading my post in regards to your health and injury. </div></div>

Absolutely, as with any post on the internet :p
thanks for the advice though

You need to find a work out partner that isn't a jackass.

Pushing someone really hard that is not accustom to lifting, or working out in general is a good way to injure someone.

Also what do you mean my benching a lot? If you're hitting the bench every other day, you are over training.

Like the above said, rest, and get plenty of protein,glutamine, and water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Its still swollen.</div></div>

Ummmmm, what's still swollen!!??
shocked.gif

Just kiddin, you needed at least ONE comic post. I agree with what Ive read about 'no jackass partner' and 'lotsa water'. Might also try LIGHT stretching. Get to the point of discomfort (which sounds like just about anything) and hold a light stretch for a few seconds. Repeat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really don't need to worry about it. A doctor will take x-rays and maybe a CT scan. It's a lot of money to spend on a sprain or a strain, however, they will be able to prescribe medications that will make the healing process a little more bearable.

Also, keep in mind, you are not in front of me so I am not able to see the full picture. I am not a doctor either so please keep that in mind while reading my post in regards to your health and injury.</div></div>

I'm not gonna offer any advice on this - not my gig, but I can tell you if you went to a family doc probably 95% would say rest, cold pack, and anti-inflammatory for a solid week. But I do disagree that your going to be rushed to into CT scan or Xray - a good orthopedist can diagnose 95%+ of the problem by the art of a good physical exam.

where on your chest is it swolen? toward the center , upper , lower , toward the outside upper , lower?

Think of the pectoral mucsle being shaped kinda like a fan , the smallest point connects out and high on your chest toward your shoulder , this is a very commone area for a puller , strained or torn pec muscle , that injury generaly occures on the contraction phase (pushing up) on the bench press , if its more toward the center of the chest that are is typicaly affected during the negitive phase of the lift (lowering) , if its not bruised that I highly doubt that their is any sort of tear

most likely just a strain from over exertion or not warming up enough. a NSAID and cold compress with help to reduce the swelling. biggest thing is to lay off of it for a while let it rest the weekend then start some LIGHT streching and gradualy work your way up to longer and longer holds of the strech.

If its not a major tear where the muscle is severly out of place then their is nothing that a dr will do about it , my training partner tore his upper pec last year , we heard it pop and within min their was a huge nasty bruise , ran him to the ER , consulted a general then a plastic surgen and they said that it wasen't that bad to let it rest for a few days then come back to MRI it , they ended up leaving it alone and letting it heal

Teggy1 said:
You need to find a work out partner that isn't a jackass.

thank you for saying it before I could!

I am not dr. but it doesn't sounds like a tear. I partially tore my upper pec, and I felt a snap and my right arm gave out while benching. Like mentioned above, bruising, swelling etc soon ensued. Made for some sweet pics.
I would try some anti inflams and lots of ice.

Its swollen partially in the middle section above the nipple, and near my shoulder.
Ive been taking it easy and icing when i can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need lots of protein and L-glutamine, and water. </div></div>
You should be taking L-Glutamine all the time if you lift at all or just for over all health its great. I tore my lower back this winter and it hurt so bad the nervs felt as if they were shorting out when I tried to stand but with some stretching and tons of water and glutamine I was able to recover in three weeks feeling better and now eight weeks later no pain at all. Sometimes things take time to heal. JMHO

Clarification:
Insertional tear of the pec major can be repaired to its place on the humerus
Tears of the origin and within the substance of the muscle may not be repairable
Either is common with bench press lifting.

Proper exam by a professional would be appropriate for diagnosis which in most cases is clinical and may not need CT or MRI

If it is torn and if it is rapairable, the sooner the better...

Here's something i don't think gets mentioned enough when talking about weight lifting, body building or power lifting no matter what, injuries are inevetable. That being said good form will normaly negate most of these problems and not training beyond your means will help especialy as a beginner.
Start out with light weight and perfect your form, get a trainer to help you in this aspect. Your muscles will gain strength very quickly but your tendons and ligaments take a lot longer to develop. This is where most injuries occur as the muscle is caple of moving the weight, the tendons or ligaments are not and you wind up tearing or pulling something.
The cardinal rule is do not jerk the weight. Smooth and steady is the way to go.