• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does this sound like a barrel on its way out?

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
7mm RM, 922 rounds, initially running 67 grains of R22 with 162 amax now 63 with 180 smk. I noticed I needed .6 -.7 mils of added elevation at a DA of 3300 compared to a confirmed come up at a DA of 1300. That and I had several rounds today that never impacted the target or the 6x6 foot backer, nor were the rounds/splash even seen on the hill/berm behind the targets. I have never shot out a barrel so not sure what to look for.

Re: Does this sound like a barrel on its way out?

When is the last time it had a good cleaning? What do you use to clean it with when you do?

Cleaned just before this weekend with Wipeout. Barrel seemed totally clean afterwards, patches came out clean.

Check the scope and mounts. Make sure the mounts are secure and try it with another scope. You ought to get more than 922 rounds out of the barrel.

Everything torqued properly. Scope tracks dead on so I cannot see it as the issue.

Well, if its not a bolt/headspace problem, or the ammo, then it has to come down to the barrel. A thousand rounds out of a magnum could be putting some wear on the rifling. JMHO.

Have you confirmed the amount of powder in your loads? Have you tried switching this scope to another rifle to make sure something hasn't come loose internally?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cleaned just before this weekend with Wipeout. Barrel seemed totally clean afterwards, patches came out clean. </div></div>
I used to use Wipeout, but had a problem similar to yours. I called and talked to one of the guys at Sierra and he was convinced my problem was carbon fouling, which Wipout doesn't seem to work on very well. I used a cleaner called Witch's Brew and regular bore solvent for about 2 hours and couldn't believe how dirty my bore was even after 2 treatments of Wipout. Try some simple cleaner like Hoppes #9 and a bronze brush along with some patches.

I have a question, cow many rounds can you expect out of a barrel? is their a difference if caliber different, factory load or home? just a simple run down is all i ask

respectfully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cleaned just before this weekend with Wipeout. Barrel seemed totally clean afterwards, patches came out clean. </div></div>
I used to use Wipeout, but had a problem similar to yours. I called and talked to one of the guys at Sierra and he was convinced my problem was carbon fouling, which Wipout doesn't seem to work on very well. I used a cleaner called Witch's Brew and regular bore solvent for about 2 hours and couldn't believe how dirty my bore was even after 2 treatments of Wipout. Try some simple cleaner like Hoppes #9 and a bronze brush along with some patches. </div></div>

Actually, #9 is what I normally used before trying Wipeout for the first time a few days ago. Will look into a carbon specific cleaner.

There is no set number of rounds that a barrel will last per cartridge, but the general rule is that the large overbore cartidges such as the 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 338 Lapua, ect start burning out the throat at a much faster rate than a cartridge such as the 308. By overbore, I'm referring to a cartridge where the case capacity and design is such that you have a large amount of powder burning and burn time vs bore size. Basically, you have more of a cutting torch effect going on in the throat area of the barrel on an overbore cartridge. A 308 will last a lot longer than any of the 30 caliber magnums. Hence one of the reasons it's recommended for new shooters. You get much more useful life out of the barrel before accuracy fades.

A clue that a barrel is on it's way to being shot out is unexplained, inconsistent vertical. You will only notice it at longer ranges with odd high and low shots on otherwise known dope for the same conditions. If you've eliminated shooter and an absolutely carbon-encrusted barrel from the vertical equation, it could well be on the way out.

the last barrel dying on my was a 243 AI, shot a match at 600 doing great during first and second relay then out of nowhere mid last string, 2 X's then an uncalled 8 at 5 o'clock then a 7 at 11 o'clock then a mis, with zero wind.
lost the barrel and the match five shot from the end,round count 1644
hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A clue that a barrel is on it's way to being shot out is unexplained, inconsistent vertical. You will only notice it at longer ranges with odd high and low shots on otherwise known dope for the same conditions. If you've eliminated shooter and an absolutely carbon-encrusted barrel from the vertical equation, it could well be on the way out. </div></div>

This is how I would explain it. At longer ranges, 600+, is where it started acting odd. To miss a 6x6 foot target at 600, something has to out of whack. I am no cleaning freak but, it never goes more than 150 or so rounds before a thorough cleaning.

Pardon the ignorance but, where would carbon be building up? Is it in the chamber, grooves, both??

Thanks for the help guys.