• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does this sound right?

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
I loaded up some 208Amax bullets last night and ried them this afternoon. I used hornady Match brass, cci200 primers. Here is the chrono results.

Reloader 15 OAL 2.840
42.0=2415
43.0=2440
43.5=2490

Reloader 17 OAL 2.880
43.0=2277
44.0=2339
44.5=2346
45.0=2433
45.5=2451

No pressure signs on any of the loads. I found that some are loading the RE17 up to 51gr, but they are using a OAL of 3.00 or more and I was trying to keep it close to mag length.

Rifle was a 700SS 5R. 24" barrel.

I only loaded 2-3 of each to check for pressure and velocity, but the accuracy was not that great. About MOA at best.

Re: Does this sound right?

My tube was a bit longer and I use LC Match brass but I got into the 2550's at 45.0gr. I found a sub 1/2 MOA node at 2530fps out of a 26" tube.

Cheers,

Doc

hey keep working up in the charge.I have loaded up some from 46-48 gn of R17 with the same bullet and rifel.but I have not shot them yet.will try to shoot them in the next couple of days.work has been keeping me from the range.

and with our rifels I would say that the 47-48gn area will be what we are looking for.the guys that started this if I am not wrong used a 1:12 twist and a 20 inch barrel.and they both got up to 48-49gn even one got as fare as 50gn.but both have backed down to I think 47-48gn of R17.

but you make the call with your reloading.I am going to stick with the loads I made.but watch for pressure with a hawk eye when testing.then I will stop if I start getting to bad of a flatten primer/bolt lift.

but keep me posted if you do not mind if you shoot again before I get to the range.and I will do the same for you.

John

I was concerned that my chrony was off when I got the first reading over 2300fps with RE15. I was expecting to max out around 2400 with that powder. I have a lot of RE15 and would like to use that if I find a load that the rifle likes. 2400-2500 is fine for the 208's.

hey I shot the loads today with the 210s and R17.again my loads started at 46gn and walked up in.5gn to 48gn.all 5 shoot groups did Ok giveing me 3/4 inch groups.but the 48gn load showed me signs of pressuse that I did not want to see.so when I see a good old flattened out primer and ejector mark at the same time I want load it again.

but I did go back home and loaded up some more with the 208's useing 47 and 47.5gn of R17.but the bad thing for me is that I think it just wasn't my day for shooting.so I think I wasted time and money today.but will still keep you posted on my info as it comes to me.or should I say as I shoot to get the info.but hey if you still choose to not run your 208's that fast you may have made a wise choice.but again I think they need the speed to really be able to put a hurt on the deer I want to shoot this year.and that they will still have alot of energy at longer distance.

good shooting and hope you are able to gett the load you are looking for.

You can get more RL17 into that case, 2500fps is more than sufficient IMO for the 208's out of a .308 case. If you have the longer barrels, you can get more out of it, but I shoot a 20" and have shot 2600fps before, it's quite hot, and I backed off a full grain (48.0gr) and i'm still getting ejector swipe, sticky bolt lift, and too much velocity.

I'm going to go back and try a mag length load and do a workup to see how it works. 2500fps starting velocity will get you 1200+ yard supersonic easy just about anywhere, and any conditions. The higher you go, the better it gets.

I've taken a lot of time off of the 208's as I "thought" that I could have just as much fun with 175 smk's. I was wrong, the 208's buck the wind so darn well, and hit the targets so stinkin' hard that the 175's are like shooting rimfire at 200 yards. I have a untouched box of 175smk's that'll likely end up in the 4sale section, and i'm going to run the 208's again.

One note about the accuracy that you got. I have on more than one occasion, shot 100 yards to confirm a zero and shot moa, moved to 200 and shot 1/2 moa and 1/3moa at 300 yards, this on the same day, with the same batch of loaded ammo. IMO, at 100 they aren't really 'settled', but after that they really get good IME.

This following video I shot a milk jug of water at 700 yards with a 208 amax. I would like to see a 175smk from a .308 do the same, but I seriously doubt that it will. I'm hoping I can get out and shoot a similar video this weekend to make a comparison video.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCZlouqEGYA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCZlouqEGYA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Go to my channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KCDustRemover

and watch the 1,000 yards with the 208 amax video, and watch the 700 yards with a 175 smk, and specifically watch how the target reacts. Even at 1,000 yards the 208 amax moves the target a lot when it hits the center or even a little low, and watch how relatively small the reaction is from the 175's at 700.

Branden

If I can get the RE15 to group good enough, I will just stick with it around 2440 fps. I have plenty of RE15 and I use it in my other rifles. I was just wondering if I should trust the chrono since others are getting lower velocity.