• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does Winchester Brass come annealed?

Nessal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
CA
I just got 2 bags of Winchester brass. They don't seem to come annealed. Has this been your experience?

Re: Does Winchester Brass come annealed?

All brass is annealed. Some companys just polish it a lil more...

Win brass is GTG after prep, Lapua comes with the annealing heat ring on, I do the same prep to all my brass, so my wallet likes Winchester better, and my targets can't tell the difference.

Perfect thanks guys. I had a feeling that they annealed then cleaned it off.

The annealing ring is left on to meet military specifications...visual evidence of the process. Lapua just doesn't polish it out like the other commercial companies do.

how does Lapua brass have that perfect annealed ring on it. Do they dip the brass or something?

It's interesting that someone posted this... I was wondering the very same thing night before last...

I recently purchased several hundred rounds of Winchester brass, which as it turn out has required quite a bit of work to make fit for precision long range shooting... anyway...

I had just finished neck sizing the first batch of fifty that I've been using for load development (they were freshly annealed after three firings)and decided it wa time to start cycling in some more virgin brass.

I decided to run them through the neck sizer to just make sure they hadn't gotten dinged in the bin and noticed a lot less drag on the mandrel of my neck sizing die *after* sizing. So I checked them and they vary from .0005" to .001" larger ID then the freshly annealed brass. In other words they spring back more and have less tension. Huh? I thought these were annealed from the factory.

I'm going to anneal my virgin brass, as *something* seems to have work hardened it. Has anyone else noticed this?

John

Yeah, Iwas wondering this too. Also, the new win brass I got is much thinner than the fgmm brass I have been using- has anyone else noticed this? It is thin enough that is has me a little concerned...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, Iwas wondering this too. Also, the new win brass I got is much thinner than the fgmm brass I have been using- has anyone else noticed this? It is thin enough that is has me a little concerned... </div></div>

Was yours thin in the neck? Mine were horribly inconcentric (is that a word?). .011 at the thinnest on one side, .0175 at the thickest on the other. I had to turn them to just under .0125 to clean up most of it.

But in general my understanding is that Win brass is thinner and harder than Federal (hence the increased H20 capacity)

John

Similar experience . I did it once with 1-k New .300wm Win.
It was pretty crappy and when seating you could feel every bullet seated was different. it also shot loose grouped with a proven load used in the rifle. After fired once, I just annealed all of 1-k of them, Necked them & primed them-up and never looked back. they shot great after.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it also shot loose grouped with a proven load used in the rifle. </div></div>

This is exactly the problem I've been having. I've been chasing my tail trying to get a load I was pretty confident in, to work with this new brass. Annealed some once fired's this weekend, loaded them up and they group great.

I'm going to assume that Winchester is either not annealing or insufficiently annealing to insure that the neck is soft enough to not spring back.

I'm going to anneal the rest of the lot before firing.

John

Fellas, I may not know all the physics involved with reloading, but to clarify, annealing softens the metal allowing it to be worked easier or into shapes that would otherwise crack the metal while in tempered state. IMO if you are getting better results by annealing, you are probably reducing bullet pull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ODell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fellas, I may not know all the physics involved with reloading, but to clarify, annealing softens the metal allowing it to be worked easier or into shapes that would otherwise crack the metal while in tempered state. IMO if you are getting better results by annealing, you are probably reducing bullet pull. </div></div>

You are right in the first case, perhaps wrong in the second...

I use a Lee collet neck sizer. The end of the mandrel on mine is about .0005" larger than the area the brass is compressed against during the sizing operation. As the brass gets work hardened from multiple firings and sizings, I see it in two places. Seating pressure and neck sizing. The hardened necks spring back so far, they no longer drag over that *slightly* larger part of the mandrel.

Time to anneal!

The annealing brings everything back to the same state and assures consistent neck tension. More? Less? Don't know, but in LR shooting consistency is everything.

John

Never had the problem with new Win. .308 but only with that one Lot/run of the 1-k Winchester .300wm brass . also I do Anneal .308 FC Brass that I get, that is once fired. The stuff shoots & groups way better than if not for reloads . I normally run around 2-3 thousandths Neck Tension on all my reloads which can vary also from about .331 to .336 for most .30 cal. brands of Brass .