• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does your media do this?

parkerg31

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2018
Curious is you guys's media does this to your brass. Its not that huge of a deal but I just don't like the way it makes my clean brass look.

Attachments

• Alpha.JPG
    Alpha.JPG
    508.6 KB · Views: 178
Ah, I dont know about new brass but I can say all my fired brass looks like that.

What media are you using? If cob etc throw some dryer sheets in to collect the dust. I assume thats all it is.

Your brass will shoot just fine though.

Reactions: Snuby642
Ill give the dryer sheets a shot. I knew it wouldn't affect shooting it was really just killing my OCD ?

Damn, my vibrating tumbler never cleaned the primer pockets that well.

I almost exclusively use the stainless rotary.

Okay, I realize that I’m on one end of the reloading spectrum vs. others that feel their egos aren’t stroked until their brass is jewelry...but as long as your brass is clean and will not introduce dirt/brass/grit into your loading dies, who really gives a Flying Wallenda?

Yeah, yeah, I know. Societally induced OCD is real and shiny brass is noticed...NOT!!

Is you’re loading process consistent? Do you have consistent neck tension?
What does the bullet do at distance?

Just asking for a friend. :whistle::cool:

Reactions: Bradu
I've been using the same RCBS green walnut shit for probably 15 years and it doesn't do that to my brass. I just drop a few lumps of wheel polish in once in a while while it's running and it cleans primer pockets well enough and leaves the brass looking beautiful and a little protected. Never had a residue in the head stamps.

Reactions: lash
Either your media is hopelessly dirty and needs to be changed or you need to try the dryer sheets.

I size my new brass, mostly to address the necks, and tumble the lube off afterwards. Not sure that’s what the OP is doing though.
I did the same thing. Just cleaned them after running them through the sizing die.

Okay, I realize that I’m on one end of the reloading spectrum vs. others that feel their egos aren’t stroked until their brass is jewelry...but as long as your brass is clean and will not introduce dirt/brass/grit into your loading dies, who really gives a Flying Wallenda?

Yeah, yeah, I know. Societally induced OCD is real and shiny brass is noticed...NOT!!

Is you’re loading process consistent? Do you have consistent neck tension?
What does the bullet do at distance?

Just asking for a friend. :whistle::cool:
Hey now, watch it Mr.
20190207_212805.jpg

Reactions: lash
Serious question does stainless tumbling cause inconsistent neck tension?
Removing 100% of the carbon from inside the neck can make neck tension inconsistent. This can usually be seen in chrono data. The theory is that the squeaky clean brass can potentially cold weld to the copper.

Neck friction might be a better word for this than neck tension.

I tried stainless media and noticed my ES and SD numbers got out of whack. Went back to vibratory, numbers came right back.

Reactions: Juggerxxx
Removing 100% of the carbon from inside the neck can make neck tension inconsistent. This can usually be seen in chrono data. The theory is that the squeaky clean brass can potentially cold weld to the copper.

Neck friction might be a better word for this than neck tension.

I tried stainless media and noticed my ES and SD numbers got out of whack. Went back to vibratory, numbers came right back.
So by this logic new brass has inconsistent neck tension ?

So by this logic new brass has inconsistent neck tension ?

*Someone who would argue against stainless*: New brass actually has some type of waxy coating left on it from the factory which can help fight that issue over time.

To the OP; I think the dryer sheet will cure the crud in your letters. If not, try some new media. Depending on the number of cases that you tumble one of those gun cleaning "tooth brushes" should clean them up.

To Travclem: Do you think dipping the case necks in motor mica or graphite would cure this?

Even when my walnut media gets filthy dirty, I have never had the markings look like that. Originally I used Nufinish polish, now just a little bit of mineral spirits. Never had any thing like that.

Color fill, it's all the rage now. But seriously, what is in your media that causes that? I even used walnut with red rouge polish and never gotten that.

I use walnut, nufinish and mineral spirits mixed and toss in a used dryer sheet.
On new and used brass, for consistency, dirty range brass gets extra mineral spirits.

They are not stainless media clean but have zero "bullet welding" isues.

I run them after de-prime and after working the brass.
Have some a year old and no tarnish.

This is a picture of range pickup brass.
20190330_142215.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Carlos Danger
I use walnut, nufinish and mineral spirits mixed and toss in a used dryer sheet.
On new and used brass, for consistency, dirty range brass gets extra mineral spirits.

They are not stainless media clean but have zero "bullet welding" isues.

I run them after de-prime and after working the brass.
Have some a year old and no tarnish.

This is a picture of range pickup brass.View attachment 7078984
That's some sexy lookin brass right there

Reactions: Snuby642