• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does your scope travel

QuarterHorse

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2018
Waukee, Iowa
What I mean is do you have for example 5 mid to high end rifles in your safe with 5 high end optics, or, 1 or 2 high end optics that travels from one rifle to the other? I have to admit, I have a safe full of mid to low end rifles with the same level scopes on them. each rifle that I want to have a scope, has a scope.

Getting into the precision shooting game I'm looking at getting higher end equipment, and more than likely several high end rifles as I'm older, make more money, and more settled in life than I was 10-15 years ago. This being said, it almost doesn't seem too practical to have a high end scope to every moderate to high end rifle but I was curious on how a lot of you guys do your set ups. My knee jerk reaction is for my several future high end guns I may only have 1 or 2 high end optics with different purposes that may travel between several rifles.

I wish I was more focused on one hobby but I have several, 3 kids still in the house, and lets face it, I don't have Bill Gates money so I ask the questions.

Thanks for taking time to respond and happy shooting!

I have two precision rifles and one scope, a Schmidt & Bender PM2. So it travels between the two rifles from time to time. Its not something I need to do on a weekly basis, that would just be too impractical. But around here there are competitions with "max caliber" rules, when they come up, I will take my 6,5x47L and go and shoot that competition. Then I move the scope back to my 300 Win mag which has been my new project rifle for this year. Its a pretty easy swap, with 3.1 MIL adjustment in height and 0.1 in windage adjustment between the two.

Man...as you shoot and haggle and horse trade and accumulate more and more stuff, you will have more high ends scopes. I recently sold my S&B, a USO, my Gen2 RZR and a Steiner. I still have a Minox and a MArch. Of those I sold I bought several XTR2's (2 4-20's and 2 5-25's) Bills never go away and I have all my rifles covered that I shoot.

Now the MArch is on my air rifle due to 10m focus. and my match rifles (a 6BR and a 308) both have Burris XTR2 4-20 with H59 rect and the Minox is on my 7WSM LR rig. The 5-25 XTR2 with SCR rect is on my rimfire and my 223 trainers... stuff never ends haha.

Good luck with one or 2....if this is your ONLY hobby like it is mine. I told my wife I wanted a 60's Chevelle or something, she said no problem sell some rifles...I said I don't even like cars :LOL:
I work construction and my third boy is due in 2 weeks...I need to stockpile for them for sure haha...

GL,
DT

Does my scope going to Europe count ?

If so, it's been in Austria, Hungary, CZ, and a couple more.

But......
No, it doesn't move rifle to rifle. I prefer it to be zeroed once with the same lot of ammo, shoot it often, and build data.

Rather than have to reset the zero stop and rezero the scope moving it to another rifle and back, in what I feel is wasting ammo and exacerbating barrel wear, checking zeroes each change.

I have a friend who has to check zero and reset every time he comes to shoot. Then we hunt or shoot....
I get out rifle, maybe fire one shot/check, maybe not, go hunt/shoot.
Over the last year, I've checked zero twice. Hes shot at least a hundred rounds resetting and checking.

Jmhe

I'm still pretty young and new to this hobby. I have one mid-tier scope. Steiner T5Xi 3-15, and I'll probably keep it the rest of my life on one future rifle or another if it doesn't let me down. That being said, I also currently have one rifle. Next year, I will have one rifle and a barreled action, so no, it probably won't travel all that much. If I really have the need for two complete rifles after next year, I'll be buying glass, but I'd rather have one REALLY good setup rather than two or three or four mediocre setups and one good scope to move between them. I see the greatness in having one rifle for every specific task, but that doesn't appeal to my wallet at the moment.

Man...as you shoot and haggle and horse trade and accumulate more and more stuff, you will have more high ends scopes. I recently sold my S&B, a USO, my Gen2 RZR and a Steiner. I still have a Minox and a MArch. Of those I sold I bought several XTR2's (2 4-20's and 2 5-25's) Bills never go away and I have all my rifles covered that I shoot.

Now the MArch is on my air rifle due to 10m focus. and my match rifles (a 6BR and a 308) both have Burris XTR2 4-20 with H59 rect and the Minox is on my 7WSM LR rig. The 5-25 XTR2 with SCR rect is on my rimfire and my 223 trainers... stuff never ends haha.

Good luck with one or 2....if this is your ONLY hobby like it is mine. I told my wife I wanted a 60's Chevelle or something, she said no problem sell some rifles...I said I don't even like cars :LOL:
I work construction and my third boy is due in 2 weeks...I need to stockpile for them for sure haha...

GL,
DT

Scope 'em all! Give them a purpose, and scope it based on that. That's what I tried. Except for the AR, it has irons, with rds, mag, and scope, all in the case

Reactions: D_TROS
I started with low end rifle and low end scope (Nikon 4-14x). Bought a few rifles and decided to buy one high end scope (NF ATACR 5-25x) years ago and, while I planned on having it "travel" between rifles, I really only did so when testing ammo, load development and extra long range work. Then I just bought a suitable scope and if accuracy went off after mounting new scope, I knew it was the scope and sent it back.

Now I own 3 ATACRs (7-35, 5-25, and 4-16) and an XTR 2 (3-15) and expect to buy another NF 4-16 or something similar to move my XTR into backup mode.

I'd buy one GREAT scope and it will follow your best rifle(s) and keep you from wondering if the scope is dialing correct or not. Then it's just you, barrel or ammo. You can figure out which and find a scope to put on it permanently that meets your needs/budget.

Reactions: AMGtuned