• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dog rifles

dmg308

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2005
Manassas Va,USA
I'm gonna build a prairie dog rifle for a trip out west.It will pull double duty on ground hogs back here.It will be a 700 based build and will probably be a B&C stock.The two undicided's are 22-250 or .223 AI and what twist for each.For the dog hunters here what say you and why?

Re: Dog rifles

I've always used a 22-250. I am actually waiting to get my barrel from Bartlein, and I went with a 1:9 twist rate. I wanted a twist rate that was fast enough to send the heaviest bullets that I wanted to shoot with it (69gr-75gr), and that if I wanted to shoot lighter (55gr) I could. Good for varmints, and good enough for paper. As long as it hits where I am aiming I could really care less. There is <span style="font-weight: bold">absolutely nothing wrong</span> with a .223. And there are days when I wish I had a .223 because the barrel heats up pretty fast while shooting dogs. I love my 250 and wouldn't trade it for anything. .223 ammo is gonna be found everywhere, and its cheaper to shoot. Other than that it is my opinion that they are about a horse a piece.

You have to remember with a dog rifle is barrel life and how fast it heats the barrel up. When I get into a good town of dogs I can get about 25 rounds through my 250 before it gets hot.

I have both and if I could only take one it would be my 223ai with a fast twist you can stretch it out for the long shots and with 50gr vmaxs I can get 3600fps with no pressure signs at all.

I also have a 22-250ai and 243ai they are very explosive and you can shoot to the ones that are way out their, but they heat up at 15-20rds.

If you aren't going to shoot anything bigger than a cyote with it I would reccomend a .204 they blow up pretty cool when a v max at over 4000 fps hits them! My 204 out shoots my 22-250 all day long on accuracy, not by much but it does.

I just got done building my "dream" woodchuck gun. I have not gone p-dog shooting and I know its a different animal, but I spec'ed this rifle for walk around varmint hunting. Its a .222 Rem and hearing protection is basically optional, its super accurate and no problem out to 300 or so yards. A .223 might be a better choice for you. More power, shoots flatter, ammo is cheaper and can be found more places.

DSC03661.jpg

DSC03666.jpg

DSC03665.jpg

DSC03668.jpg

I'm in the same boat as you & seriously considering a 221 Fireball...

For volume shooting a 223 AI would be a good option. If you have a source for 223 brass. Your first trip will be fireforming which takes some velocity (to fireform the case) but after that you'll be good to go.

I LOVE MY 222's inside 300 yards for p-dogs and chucks, there hard to beat. 222 are super accurate and weren't dethroned as the most accurate cartridge until the br and ppc came out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">223Ai, 1-8tw, 75gr AMAX, Seekens BDM. Enough said. </div></div>

Do you like the one you have? I've never ran any of the Seekins bottom metal so I can't comment on it, but I've a little exp. with the rest of your recomendation and I do like that.