• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Im sure its going to be a cute movie and im sure my son will want to see it since he's been around mals and gsd's since he was born but i already know whats going to happen about 8 months after this movie is released. Youre going to see every tom dick and harry buy a malinois and they will eventually end up in shelters. Not to mention the influx of backyard breeders on craigslist. Its called the "101 dalmation syndrome." After that movie was released, there was a substantial increase in dalmation breeders and the subsequent amount of dalmations that ended up in shelters. Come to find out, the only breed worse to have than a malinois is a fuckin dalmation. Dumbest dogs on the planet IMO. The difference is, dalmations typically dont fuck people up like a thin nerved malinois can/will. There needs to be a disclaimer before the opening credits tell the viewing public how shitty Malinois' make as pets.

Im sure its going to be a cute movie and im sure my son will want to see it since he's been around mals and gsd's since he was born but i already know whats going to happen about 8 months after this movie is released. Youre going to see every tom dick and harry buy a malinois and they will eventually end up in shelters. Not to mention the influx of backyard breeders on craigslist. Its called the "101 dalmation syndrome." After that movie was released, there was a substantial increase in dalmation breeders and the subsequent amount of dalmations that ended up in shelters. Come to find out, the only breed worse to have than a malinois is a fuckin dalmation. Dumbest dogs on the planet IMO. The difference is, dalmations typically dont fuck people up like a thin nerved malinois can/will. There needs to be a disclaimer before the opening credits tell the viewing public how shitty Malinois' make as pets.
It's the people that don't handle, work their dogs that will have problems. You already saw people wanting "cool" dogs after John Wick 3.
Mals are excellent dogs if you work them, give them tasks and know how to handle them. Like a lot of breeds, just on a more dramatic level.

I loved the dogs we had on our FOB. The handlers used to let me throw balls for them, play with them (the bomb dogs). Only time we got to play with the attack dogs was if we dressed up in the suit (but that was at some training).

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Youre going to see every tom dick and harry buy a malinois and they will eventually end up in shelters. Not to mention the influx of backyard breeders on craigslist.
I can tell you, the number of GSDs in kill shelters in Texas in awful. Any given day, you will find them on the short list. GSD rescues are already overwhelmed. I picked up a black & tan something puppy (Rott/GSD vs. Beauceron/GSD mix) at the Dallas shelter that they told me had an over 80% chance of dying due to puppy Parvo that weekend. She is now 7 and over #120, but our journey initially was a challenge. One vet diagnosed her with "the worst case of doggy ADHD" he had ever seen. 2 week in-house training made her worse; even tried meds, homeopathic therapy, etc. She had been banned from all PetSmarts (wasn't her fault). Some trainers wouldn't even accept her and I was told by many "dog professionals" she was the strongest dog they ever encountered. I spent a lot of time and a lot of money on her, but she is so worth it to me. She is a total 'Velcro" dog now; I would do anything for her and I have zero doubt its mutual. The problem is when people don't get the commitment.

Crazy to see how much work a malinois takes. A friend has one and he spent a lot of time/money training that dog. The amount of time he dedicated to it was impressive, I didn't think he had it in him.

Crazy to see how much work a malinois takes. A friend has one and he spent a lot of time/money training that dog. The amount of time he dedicated to it was impressive, I didn't think he had it in him.

My GSD working dog is now 8 and still chews shit up when he hasn't been worked or attended too. He is worse than every mal I've had, except one. It's not a pet, it's a damn life decision.

If I couldn't bring my Mal to work with me every day, there's no way I could keep her, and she's on the "calm" end of the spectrum. She's still an asshole, though :rolleyes:

I use to bring my first Mal to work with me when I got him at 10 weeks old. He went everywhere with me. He's 1 year 9 months now ( on left in pic below) Then I rescued a female back this past April (she's 6 years) and they both rode with me for a while. Once it started getting hot here in GA I had to find a solution. Bought two Impact Crates and they stay in those for about two hours in the morning until the wife gets back from the gym. They're like two toddlers when I get home from work... all over me wanting to play, search and work through challenges. Damn smart dogs. Here they are.

Attachments

• 20210720_064254 (002).jpg
    20210720_064254 (002).jpg
    430 KB · Views: 63
I use to bring my first Mal to work with me when I got him at 10 weeks old. He went everywhere with me. He's 1 year 9 months now ( on left in pic below) Then I rescued a female back this past April (she's 6 years) and they both rode with me for a while. Once it started getting hot here in GA I had to find a solution. Bought two Impact Crates and they stay in those for about two hours in the morning until the wife gets back from the gym. They're like two toddlers when I get home from work... all over me wanting to play, search and work through challenges. Damn smart dogs. Here they are.
Too smart. I can entertain my Catahoula all day long with a laser pointer. First time I tried it with my mixed Mal he looked at my hand and then went and laid down. He had a look on his face like "not today human".

Ain’t this the truth. Those dogs come with a. Disclaimer and the producers of this movie should paste it on the screen before during and after.

Too smart. I can entertain my Catahoula all day long with a laser pointer. First time I tried it with my mixed Mal he looked at my hand and then went and laid down. He had a look on his face like "not today human".
We play speed fetch with 2 pieces of 12" heavy duty rubber hose. Throw one while I keep the second behind my back. Max has to bring the first one and drop it on my boot. He sits anxiously waiting for me to throw the second one. While he's going after the second hose I quickly pick up the one he dropped on my boot. We do this for 15-30 minutes. He's lost 6lbs playing this. So now I'm changing his food back up to Kinetic 32K and Mass 34 to get him back to 75-80lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefan73
Ain’t this the truth. Those dogs come with a. Disclaimer and the producers of this movie should paste it on the screen before during and after.
If people don't understand these are high drive dogs and aren't prepared to do what it takes folks should stay away from this breed. I didn't really know what I was getting into but learned. Don't take Malinois to "foo-foo" dog trainers either. I had mine evaluated by a trainer that takes dogs to Texas for selection by the various agencies needing working dogs. He has guided me on working with mine.

If people don't understand these are high drive dogs and aren't prepared to do what it takes folks should stay away from this breed. I didn't really know what I was getting into but learned. Don't take Malinois to "foo-foo" dog trainers either. I had mine evaluated by a trainer that takes dogs to Texas for selection by the various agencies needing working dogs. He has guided me on working with mine.
I’m all honesty the breeders need to step up too. Don’t let people take your pups who can’t do what’s right. If they are ina. Shelter I’d rather them go to a home than stay and killed.

Reactions: Ravenworks
There is so much truth in ALL of these post. They are a commitment, not a lap dog. My current GSD is a rescue at about 18mo. He is about 7 now.

UKDSlayer is right. The local Houston GSD rescue isn't taking any dogs. Our local Nextdoor has post almost everyday of loose GSD running the neighborhood. People run like babies when they see one.

I have had painters at the house all week and mine is crazy! People in the windows, can't get out in his yard, banging on the outside of the house, strange shit in the yard, ....

He is so tired at night he isn't even interested in his 9PM treat.

We play speed fetch with 2 pieces of 12" heavy duty rubber hose. Throw one while I keep the second behind my back. Max has to bring the second and drop it on my boot. He sits anxiously waiting for me to throw the second one. While he's going after the second hose I quickly pick up the one he dropped on my boot. We do this for 15-30 minutes. He's lost 6lbs playing this. So now I'm changing his food back up to Kinetic 32K and Mass 34 to get him back to 75-80lbs.
Barrett isn't interested in fetch, he never was. He likes to play with other dogs (but can't as much as he used to because of his hips). Barrett also enjoys playing chase, me chasing him (the little butt). I used to use Barrett as one of my sled dogs when I lived in Alaska. Chief my Catahoula on the other hand loves retrieving (has to place the decoy between my feet), runs with me (when my alarm goes off I get cold wet dog nose in my face as a wakeup to let me know it is time to go for a run).

If I couldn't bring my Mal to work with me every day, there's no way I could keep her, and she's on the "calm" end of the spectrum. She's still an asshole, though :rolleyes:
My guy is also on the calm end of the spectrum as well but your are correct asshole is part of the breed standard. I wouldn't trade my guy for anything, best dog I have ever had has been my mal. That said he also is a shit ton more work than any other dog I have ever had. They require lots of time and work. Attached a couple training weekend photos.

Attachments

• P1020117.JPG
    P1020117.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 43
  • P1020182.JPG
    P1020182.JPG
    786.3 KB · Views: 43
  • P1020116.JPG
    P1020116.JPG
    607.9 KB · Views: 45
All this talk of dogs who like to play fetch is so different from my dogs who absolutely will not be bothered playing fetch, you throw something they couldn't be bothered. But if it's furry and runs and squeaks, they will be trying to climb trees to get it.

All this talk of dogs who like to play fetch is so different from my dogs who absolutely will not be bothered playing fetch, you throw something they couldn't be bothered. But if it's furry and runs and squeaks, they will be trying to climb trees to get it.

I have three dogs, and this describes them perfectly. They wouldn’t chase a ball if their lives depended on it, but they keep the yard squirrel free.

Speed fetch is a focus game. Max would lose interest quickly if I used one item. Two items keeps his prey drive engaged. He's knows this is a precursor to "work time" on training. He's already high drive with a very strong prey drive so he's easy to turn on. For his own entertainment he goes after sky raisins, butterflies, birds, rabbits, squirrels, etc. If it is in his yard and it's leisure time it's fun to watch what. Can't believe he can catch a bird flying too low. Here he's surveying the back yard from a kitchen window.

Attachments

• Max surveying back yard.jpg
    Max surveying back yard.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Speed fetch is a focus game. Max would lose interest quickly if I used one item. Two items keeps his prey drive engaged. He's knows this is a precursor to "work time" on training. He's already high drive with a very strong prey drive so he's easy to turn on. For his own entertainment he goes after sky raisins, butterflies, birds, rabbits, squirrels, etc. If it is in his yard and it's leisure time it's fun to watch what. Can't believe he can catch a bird flying too low. Here he's surveying the back yard from a kitchen window.
Pretty boy! How old?
Mine will be 3 in April. Defiantly has a very high prey drive. Much different than the GSD’s I use to have.

1640808281488.jpeg

Seems like a lot of Malinois owners on the page. Which shouldn’t be as surprising as I find it.
This is our first one. Have had shepherds in the past. He’s defiantly a trip! But over all been a great dog. His name is “Havok” and he defiantly lives up to the name! 😂😂😂😂.

When my wife and I first saw the trailer for this movie we could defiantly relate on a lot of it! Gonna be fun to watch.

• Haha
My Mal does search and rescue. He is 4 now and is just starting to calm down, but is he really. Probably not. He's just not as bad as before. He has definitely moved the bar. His "somewhat calm" is a fucking terror for most people.

He's in a good place, but the cost to get him there I wouldn't wish on anyone. They're just not good for pets for the VAST majority.

I keep telling myself that I'm never getting another one.

Yep. They are great dogs but if you can't spend the time don't buy the breed-line. They are not a run of the mill breed. If you can't work them they will work you.

Last edited:
Yup! We have a pretty active family and mine gets a lot of work. The problem with him is he has no “off switch” which I’m sure every Mal owner has experienced. Once it’s time to actually work he doesn’t wanna stop and will literally collapse if we ever let it get that far. So we have to physically make him stop and “try” to relax for a bit. He’s defiantly got his own personality though. The neighborhood kids love racing him down the street on their bikes. I’ve been doing bite work with him since he was 3 months old and he recently stated his formal protection training. Was thinking about sent work as well just for another avenue for keeping him busy.

I want to take Max into scent work as well. For a while I was setting up buckets with lids and a small hole in them. I would place one food kibble in one or two out of the five. Then I would spread the buckets around in the garage, driveway or back yard. i would bring him out and have him heel at my left leg as trained. Then give him the command "search". He would go through the buckets sniffing. When he detected the kibble scent he would paw at the lid initially. I told him to lay down once he started pawing. Now he will paw once and then lay down. As a reward once he detected all that had kibble I would open the bucket and give him the kibble. It is amazing his accuracy... never wrong.

We also work on non verbal communication.

I rescued a black dog turned out to be 50% Mal/50% Golden Retriever thank God the Golden part takes some of the edge off but not much.
I am retired and fucking believe me this is almost a full time job. She follows commands on que but is always testing. Appearance wise she is
a good looking dog, avatar pic. I will see this movie. The don't fuck with my kids look.
PJPafFCm.jpg

Last edited:
My is 50% Mal/50% Lab and he has the worst of both traits. Still love him. He was my buddy when I was solo hunting on the north slope of Alaska in the winter.
dog (2).jpg