• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dogs at rifle matches

CEO10KaDAY

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 7, 2023
Denver
I'm curious if you guys can share best practice here. I'm shooting my first match next Saturday the 14th - I figured I'd give it a try because every stage is going to be shot from prone or "modified prone" (not sure what that is) which I think is going to be as easy as it can get. Also, you have to shoot suppressed, event is called the "Belly Button Can Jam" in CO Springs.

I'm going to try my best to come in dead last, but I was thinking, since the entire thing is going to be suppressed, can I bring my dog? I imagine she'd be sitting in the car most of the day, but wanted to ask you guys if this would be considered weird behavior or not. My dog sitter worthy friends are busy that day so if not I need to come up with a solution.

I'm curious if you guys can share best practice here. I'm shooting my first match next Saturday the 14th - I figured I'd give it a try because every stage is going to be shot from prone or "modified prone" (not sure what that is) which I think is going to be as easy as it can get. Also, you have to shoot suppressed, event is called the "Belly Button Can Jam" in CO Springs.

I'm going to try my best to come in dead last, but I was thinking, since the entire thing is going to be suppressed, can I bring my dog? I imagine she'd be sitting in the car most of the day, but wanted to ask you guys if this would be considered weird behavior or not. My dog sitter worthy friends are busy that day so if not I need to come up with a solution.

Is your dog broke to the gun?

If yes, maybe

If no, then no

Suppressed =/= silent

It's not entirely uncommon to bring dogs to a shooting match.

I brought a dog to a 100% suppressed match, he did just fine. My wife was responsible for him while I was shooting, he was never right at the firing, seemed to handle the noise just fine.

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
"modified prone" (not sure what that is)
Generally refers to laying your upper body out on a bench with feet on the ground rather than laying out totally on the ground.

If your dog barks at people, gunshots, whatever.....don't unless you have someone to keep/watch it well way from the firing line. Well away as in out of hearing distance. To me the issue is not the impact on the dog, but the impact on the competitors of a barking canine.

Different sport...in my case tournament skeet...and a barking dog is a distraction we didn't need. That and people's fucking car alarms. Often we weren't sure which we'd rather shoot first...the dog or the car. (kidding...I absolutely love dogs...but fuck the car alarms).

I'll say it, it's a little weird. Sure, I've seen dogs on the line not during matches. But at a match? With all the people and things going on and other stuff you have to manage?

Leave them home, and find a sitter if they can't be left alone all day.

you live in Denver? Just leave the dog home, can jam is 2 hours away. If you do bring dog, the match firing line is around 40 yards in front of this firing line. So you could always bring dog bed and he can have some sun shade.

Attachments

• IMG_2727.jpeg
    IMG_2727.jpeg
    716.8 KB · Views: 72
Just for safety dogs or any pet shouldn’t be allowed.

They can take of, knock over gear etc

There's definitely something to be said about this.

Especially if no one is helping the shooter take care of the dog.

Nothing to be gained and much to be lost. Bad idea.

No one likes to step in dog shit, listen to barking etc. Just a very bad idea at best.
I will find a sitter - but to be fair, bold assumption I wouldn't pick up after her.

Took my Rhodesia to the range this year. I was shooting unsupressed as this was in comie Illinois. I put dog ear muffs on her and she was fine. I would not want to have to manage her at a match though. It was also nice that I was the only one there.

IMG_2639.jpeg

Took my Rhodesia to the range this year. I was shooting unsupressed as this was in comie Illinois. I put dog ear muffs on her and she was fine. I would not want to have to manage her at a match though. It was also nice that I was the only one there.

View attachment 8242956
Nice looking line. How far out does that range go?

Reactions: KYAggie
Obviously check with the match director. After that id say how well are they trained. If theyre going to potentially be in the way i wouldn't. A dog that is used to the commotion is usually welcome at most ranges. Most gun guys are dog people to

Nice looking line. How far out does that range go?

600 yards. It’s very nice, but I wish it was double that. Beggars can’t be choosers in the Chicago area. This is the Aurora Sportsman’s Club an hour west. I’m having fun with it though, especially with my Marlin 336 Cowboy 30-30 and my 1886 45-70. Now that I know I can hit the steel at 600 with my 30-30 with the scope set on 4x, I installed a Williams FP receiver sight with target knobs and I’ll see what I can do with it. It’s a solid 1.5 MOA gun.
IMG_2259.jpeg
I still haven’t decided what sight to put on my Miroku/Winchester as it has the stupid safety, but I’m strongly leaning towards drill and tapping it for a Providence Pattern 21. My Origin/PVA/Krg-B 6.5 CM makes easy work of a 600 yard range; the lever guns, not quite as much.

I've taken my Dogo to at least 3-4 different centerfire matches where she came with for the entire day and at least a few others where her and my new pup stayed in the truck (weather permitting)Both mine have been around excessive gun fire their whole life, mostly suppressed but I have them trained to wear ear pro as well.
I would say...if the match director says it's cool...go for it. Lots of "worst case scenarios" but you gotta make that decision on your own.

Came out with a 3rd place finish at this match and had my dog along the whole day.
120030650_10100101642171546_7268031479928403034_n.jpg
120035301_10100101642206476_2260799397973992980_n.jpg

Got lucky at this match. Had some fans along to watch so they got to babysit.
FB_IMG_1568586200079.jpg
Reya.jpeg

Didn't get any pics really...but this was at a LongRange/3Gun match. She just hung out on the porch at the 3 gun and waited for me to get done....everyone was super impressed with how sweet she was.
12039472_702807287876_8755389089284433236_n.jpg
12046580_702807941566_7307342976550836227_n.jpg

And of course, the hundreds of trips to the range each year.
41937294_869252914506_3289144371126992896_n.jpg
279621540_10100194465807236_7305920822970976743_n.jpg

dog ear muffs? I didn't know there was such a thing

dog ear muffs? I didn't know there was such a thing
Sure enough. Made by Rex Specs.

Reactions: LuvDog and blksno
as long as whomever brought the dog takes care of the dog and it's not trying to eat people running from spot to spot what it's a mans best friend .

Sure enough. Made by Rex Specs.

I wish I knew about these with our last dog. She would get very nervous with loud noises like thunder and fireworks

Reactions: kindabitey
Also, I have a question and I figured I’d just ask in here without making a new separate thread.

In terms of these actual matches, before every stage that you shoot, they tell you the exact distances of each target you need to shoot? Then you consult your dope, and memorize how many clicks you need to dial? What is best practice here? What do you guys do? Holdover or dial?

Also, I only have a 5rd mag for my 6.5 prc - should I buy a couple 10 rders? Is single feeding laughable? It’s going to be timed right?

How much total ammo should one bring?

Reach out to Nick D. Who puts the match on. If you need his information, I can pass it on to you.

Also, I have a question and I figured I’d just ask in here without making a new separate thread.

In terms of these actual matches, before every stage that you shoot, they tell you the exact distances of each target you need to shoot? Then you consult your dope, and memorize how many clicks you need to dial? What is best practice here? What do you guys do? Holdover or dial?

Also, I only have a 5rd mag for my 6.5 prc - should I buy a couple 10 rders? Is single feeding laughable? It’s going to be timed right?

My personal routine:

- Range every target myself and verify it's correct. Most of the time, it is correct, but sometimes there's a mistake. This is more important in rimfire than centerfire. Also, my rifle is doped with my laser.....so it lends to consistency.

- Write dope out on arm board and/or match book. Including wind calls.

- Decide if I'm going to dial or hold or a combination of the two. Elevation and wind. I personally will always dial everything that I have the time to dial. This is based on personal preference and skill level. The faster you are, the more you can dial.

Unless 6.5prc is your only option, I'd shoot something smaller. Your shoulder is going to take a beating shooting 80-200rnds of 6.5prc at a match.

Round count dictates the amount of rounds and mag size. If most stages are more than 5rnds, you'll either need larger mags or you'll be doing mag changes.

I shoot this match regularly, unfortunately not this month due to work so I’ll give ya some knowledge.

You will get an email with the course of fire a few days prior to the match. The course of fire will have the distances. Any changes or updates will be discussed at the safety brief.

Buy a rifle mounted dope card holder or a wrist coach that a quarterback would use to manage your dope. You’ll be engaging multiple targets in the same stage so memorizing your dope will be tricky. Having it written down will do you wonders.

I would definitely get at least a 7rd mag to go with the 5 round mag you have. I haven’t seen 10rd prc mags but that’s not to say they’re not out there. Stages are going to be anywhere from 8rds to 12rds.

Every stage is timed. You will have two minutes to engage the targets.

Bring enough ammo to check dope and shoot the match plus enough to re shoot a stage just in case. For example, if it’s an 80 round match, I will bring 100-110 rounds.

personally Id rather a midget who would yell at me how badly I sucked at shooting for moral support just force them to dress up and an umpa lumpa and do a few dances from the movie talk about different .

or a guy dressed up in a bear costume just to sing this

then no matter how bad or good you shot your sure to have a great day

My personal routine:

- Range every target myself and verify it's correct. Most of the time, it is correct, but sometimes there's a mistake. This is more important in rimfire than centerfire. Also, my rifle is doped with my laser.....so it lends to consistency.

- Write dope out on arm board and/or match book. Including wind calls.

- Decide if I'm going to dial or hold or a combination of the two. Elevation and wind. I personally will always dial everything that I have the time to dial. This is based on personal preference and skill level. The faster you are, the more you can dial.

Unless 6.5prc is your only option, I'd shoot something smaller. Your shoulder is going to take a beating shooting 80-200rnds of 6.5prc at a match.

Round count dictates the amount of rounds and mag size. If most stages are more than 5rnds, you'll either need larger mags or you'll be doing mag changes.
I really appreciate this. I’m shooting in MOA and since I don’t have a Christmas tree I’m going to try and dial everything.

recoil isn’t bad lol. My other rifle is an AX338 and the 6.5 PRC recoil pales in comparison. I’m used to handling both of them.

Appreciate the feedback!!

I shoot this match regularly, unfortunately not this month due to work so I’ll give ya some knowledge.

You will get an email with the course of fire a few days prior to the match. The course of fire will have the distances. Any changes or updates will be discussed at the safety brief.

Buy a rifle mounted dope card holder or a wrist coach that a quarterback would use to manage your dope. You’ll be engaging multiple targets in the same stage so memorizing your dope will be tricky. Having it written down will do you wonders.

I would definitely get at least a 7rd mag to go with the 5 round mag you have. I haven’t seen 10rd prc mags but that’s not to say they’re not out there. Stages are going to be anywhere from 8rds to 12rds.

Every stage is timed. You will have two minutes to engage the targets.

Bring enough ammo to check dope and shoot the match plus enough to re shoot a stage just in case. For example, if it’s an 80 round match, I will bring 100-110 rounds.
Thank you for the response! This is really helpful. I originally envisioned nobody knowing distance until shooting the stage and being told on the spot how far they are. I also wasn’t sure if the other shooters in the squad were even allowed to be present during someone else shooting.

Looking forward to this. Thanks guys for the feedback.

I was thinking over weekend of all the issues I have seen at shoots with people bringing dogs.
This would include but not limited to:

Lost dogs
Dog fights
People mad because someone was not nice to their dog
People bitten by dog including kid with one side of face ripped off.
Livestock attacked by dog.
People mad because neighbor shot their dog.
People mad because dog had to be put down to test for rabies after it bit someone
Dog running wild through shoot
Dog hit and killed by car
General distractions
Several lawsuits due to all of the above and businesses closed due to lawsuits regarding dog issues.

I once met a guy from Alaska who brought his invisible dog to shoots. It was constantly being disruptive. He reprimanded it endlessly. (True story)

Basically it is an imposition to others and adds nothing to the shoot. Dog owners need to realize that only you like your dog. It disrupts your life and for some reason you enjoy it. Others do not enjoy it. Do not impose on others.

I was thinking over weekend of all the issues I have seen at shoots with people bringing dogs.
This would include but not limited to:

Lost dogs
Dog fights
People mad because someone was not nice to their dog
People bitten by dog including kid with one side of face ripped off.
Livestock attacked by dog.
People mad because neighbor shot their dog.
People mad because dog had to be put down to test for rabies after it bit someone
Dog running wild through shoot
Dog hit and killed by car
General distractions
Several lawsuits due to all of the above and businesses closed due to lawsuits regarding dog issues.

I once met a guy from Alaska who brought his invisible dog to shoots. It was constantly being disruptive. He reprimanded it endlessly. (True story)

Basically it is an imposition to others and adds nothing to the shoot. Dog owners need to realize that only you like your dog. It disrupts your life and for some reason you enjoy it. Others do not enjoy it. Do not impose on others.
Every single one of your listed issues is a Dog Owner issue... not a dog issue.
And the amount of people I see at matches that ask "why I didn't bring my dogs this time" is extensive. Of course, there are people I see that just don't like dogs, but the number that do...far out weigh the number that don't.
There is a big difference between bringing a trained working dog, and an untrained, gun shy house pet.

If you want to play doggie don't go to the shoot. If your friends want to play with your doggie invite them over.

Others come to compete. They spend days or years practicing, huge amounts of time to travel, large amounts on equipment, and entry fees. It adds up to thousands or tens of thousands per entry. One screw up and you ruined their shoot. Why would you possibly consider risking that? Would you put up a 10,000,000 bond to cover potential losses?

This is so obvious I cannot even believe it's being discussed.

You mean like an AD, or an ND, or a health issue, or a weather issue, or a weapon malfunction, or a scope malfunction?
There's no guarantees in life.

As i said...consult the match director. It's ultimately his call. Not yours, not mine.

I don't understand why anyone would want to bring a dog to a match setting. What is the goal in bringing a dog when you're already managing shooting the match? Not to mention that the dog can be a disruption to others regardless of how well trained the dog is believed to be. The consideration for other people alone would prompt me to not bring a dog to a match.

• Love
Reactions: RTH1800
Your post shows a complete lack consideration for others as well as logic. The logical man weighs each decision to determine what the effect of his actions will offer to himself and others. Bringing a dog to a shoot is inconsiderate to others and offers absolutely nothing to anyone. Huge downsides as listed above.

Life has many guarantees. One is that if no dogs are there they will cause no problems. Guaranteed. If they are present the potential is also present. The things you list are integral to the shoot. Required and accepted as part of the game. The dog is simply the choice of a poser to disrupt other people. for absolutely zero gain to anyone. Even the poser.

As you say the MD will make the call. There are two types of MD's. Those who don't allow dogs and those who ultimately will wish they had not.

I am aware that those who choose to do such things will never accept logic. It's part of the overall lack of consideration for others.

It was a shoot owner who's dog bit half a kids face off so they can fall into category 2 as well. (Not a PRS shoot but same principal.)Guy lost his property over it. Again, nothing to be gained, much to be lost.
Also, no one is going to change their mind until it's too late.

It was a shoot owner who's dog bit half a kids face off so they can fall into category 2 as well. (Not a PRS shoot but same principal.)Guy lost his property over it. Again, nothing to be gained, much to be lost.
Also, no one is going to change their mind until it's too late.
what irresponsible ass hat brought a crotch goblin to a shooting match and then let them approach an unfamiliar dog?

Kid was 12 years old and was shooting. Nice try, always blame others.

Can you explain how it is you know this?
That's not the way it works genius. It's not me that needs to prove it didn't ...it's your job to prove it did.
You're trying to make it seem like a dog, went out of his way to single out a child at a shooting match, and maliciously went for his face.

I'm calling BS.

It's not my job to do or prove anything to you. I simply stated what I know and you post your bullshit about which you know nothing.

That is the way it works.

I don't understand why anyone would want to bring a dog to a match setting. What is the goal in bringing a dog when you're already managing shooting the match? Not to mention that the dog can be a disruption to others regardless of how well trained the dog is believed to be. The consideration for other people alone would prompt me to not bring a dog to a match.
Maya the Maligator goes everywhere with me. She even comes into the office with me 5 days a week - best job ever. I understand some people would think this is “imposing on others” but in this case we’re talking about the most capable breed on the planet and specifically an exceptional dog at that.

The logical man weighs each decision to determine what the effect of his actions will offer to himself and others.

The logical man wouldn’t make as many non-sequiturs about a guy who clearly stated she’d be in the car and never implied on the firing line.

I ask this question and it’s like you’re assuming I’m going to have her short leashed to my hip throughout every stage.

And theoretically if someone did have a dog near a stage where you were shooting - dog wearing ear pro and completely well behaved - and your shooting suffers as result…. Then that sounds like a you problem. It’s a competition after all and you’re telling me a dog is a distraction? Oh poor you.

Reactions: blksno