• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Dogs CAN Climb Trees...or at least 35' tall telephone poles!

lancetkenyon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2012
Glendale, AZ
Weirdest thing.

Driving in a remote desert area from a site for work yesterday morning, I noticed something on a telephone pole. At first I thought it was a Coati or ring-tailed cat. When I got closer, 35' up a pole...is a grey fox!!! I would assume a pack of coyotes chased him up there, but he looked pretty comfortable. If I would not have been within city limits, and if there was even a HINT of a sporting chance for him....I would have shot him right off the pole.

Just couldn't see the ethics in it though. Now if it was a bobcat...or a climbing deer killing coyote...no problem.

Fox are neat animals. I leave them alone since we don't see many around here. Coyote is a totally different matter.

Those are some cool pictures!!! I do wonder if he made it down ok. I saw a gray fox climb a tree one day (sorta), while I was turkey hunting. He only climbed about 5-6 feet off the ground, just so he could look over some brush. They are neat little critters!!

I suspect getting up there was the easy part, getting back down might prove to be a problem, of course gravity will help! He went up head first, and I'm pretty sure he will come down head first.

Well done for not shooting him.

1463998_10201109642884959_659369328_n.jpg

Couldn't have shot him either. My question though is how in the hell is he getting down? Honestly doubt he could make that jump without seriously injuring himself. Climbing up with paws is one thing climbing down surely seem more difficult.

Actually Grey's are excellent climbers. We still hunt fox in the south with hounds, and they often climb to escape the dogs. He will have no trouble getting back down rest assured.

It's a fact, greys can climb trees where reds can't. On another note, by the size of that insulator on the steel arm, that is a 7200 volt power line he's sitting next to. He would go off like a roman candle if he touched it!!

Nice! On the down side, it's only a matter of minutes before this get reported a billion times on my Facebook...

It's a fact, greys can climb trees where reds can't. On another note, by the size of that insulator on the steel arm, that is a 7200 volt power line he's sitting next to. He would go off like a roman candle if he touched it!!

Actually, he'd have to touch two wires to go off! That is why birds can sit on wires with no ill effects....

Those pics are Way Too Cool!

sniper uncle, you are partially right and dangerously so. He would have to actually "hop" onto the line from where he is without touching the steel arm the insulator is mounted to. the ground wire stapled to the pole is very close to the bolts holding the bracket. Trust me, I was a power lineman for 20 years.

I say smoke em. Foxes eat quail eggs and hatchlings. Worse than coyotes by far. We shoot em even if we are gonna leave em.

That is amazing....I had no idea they were climbers....of course there is very little to climb where I live and very few fox.

sniper uncle, you are partially right and dangerously so. He would have to actually "hop" onto the line from where he is without touching the steel arm the insulator is mounted to. the ground wire stapled to the pole is very close to the bolts holding the bracket. Trust me, I was a power lineman for 20 years.

Yeah, I see the ground wire on the pole now. it wouldn't take a lot for him to be cooked! I had looked originally at the pics on my phone, and the staples/ground wire wasn't very clear.

I say smoke em. Foxes eat quail eggs and hatchlings. Worse than coyotes by far. We shoot em even if we are gonna leave em.

Exactly. Shoot foxes on sight. If you've ever seen what these sneaky bastards do, you'd agree.

I would never take a life unless I was to use it to feed myself or my family or if the animal was destroying peoples property and killing other animals because of an overly aggressive nature. When I kill something I eat it. If you have a fox that comes nightly to attack your chicken coop then yes, shoot it. But not one out in the middle of a desert sitting at the top of a phone pole. Sometimes there is just more reason than not to preserve a life than to take one.

I would never take a life unless I was to use it to feed myself or my family or if the animal was destroying peoples property and killing other animals because of an overly aggressive nature. When I kill something I eat it. If you have a fox that comes nightly to attack your chicken coop then yes, shoot it. But not one out in the middle of a desert sitting at the top of a phone pole. Sometimes there is just more reason than not to preserve a life than to take one.

Seriously?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Yes seriously.

Well here is the thing with varmints, for every one you see there are several you dont see. I am from Arizona and I hunt in Texas. Why? Because I see more deer in one day then someone will see in their life in Arizona. One big reason is predators. You just simply dont see them where I hunt in Texas.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Cool pictures!

This is the truth! But It could also be anywhere from
4kv up to 34.5 phase to phase ( we have all those voltages on the same mushroom insulators on our system and I'm sure other utility's do aswell)