• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dogs in the AO

Hobo Hilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Been out recently, at night, getting the feel of my AO.
Question:
How do you handle "dogs" while moving about in a somewhat stealth mode? Sort of a general question. Conditions now do not warrant eliminating an neighbor's dog.
suggestions?

Hobo

Are you going on your neighbour's property?
If so, don't.

Generally if it's not their property and there is not something extra crazy about the dog / pack, you can wind up chasing them off and going on your way.

Try carrying a big bright umbrella.

Reactions: jakelly
Are you going on your neighbour's property?
If so, don't.

Generally if it's not their property and there is not something extra crazy about the dog / pack, you can wind up chasing them off and going on your way.

Try carrying a big bright umbrella.
Not on private property........ rural area, unimproved roads, trails, rail road tracks. Lots of cattle and healer dogs that keep a watch on cattle for coyotes, etc.

Not on private property........ rural area, unimproved roads, trails, rail road tracks. Lots of cattle and healer dogs that keep a watch on cattle for coyotes, etc.
Just FYI, railroad tracks and the surrounding easements are private property owned by the railroad. A lot of states have specific language in their criminal trespass laws to specifically include that fact, and allow LE to sign those trespass complaints. Probably nothing you’ll have to deal with (unless you’re doing something really stupid, you’ll likely be allowed to leave after some finger wagging), but better safe than sorry.

IL’s statute for example:
Do your own research to verify legality in your state.

Otherwise, I’ve found fire extinguishers to be the best aggressive dog deterrent; much more effective than OC or taser. A small home/kitchen extinguisher works well for the purpose.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
If you’re going to carry a fire extinguisher why not carry the skunk? It’s lighter and smaller.

did you read the stealthier part?

they make those pepper ball pistols now.

Blend with your surroundings this should help.
3FA6D445-E458-4253-937E-42F7BE64D3C0.jpeg

So.... your creepin around, playing sniper in peoples backyards? May wanna keep your AO inside the wire. When my dogs bark im looking out there with thermal. Whats your plan for when somebody yells, "hey i fuckin see you, what the fuck are you doing hiding in the leaves and pissing off my dogs?"

There’s plenty of feral or semi-feral dogs out here in the Oklahoma countryside. Lots of dogs come to the rig, some get adopted. I’m not sure why guys think he’s in someone else’s backyard. OP, if I’m on public land and there’s a pack of dogs that are aggressive toward man, I’m shooting them... all. From least aggressive to most if you want to neutralize as many as possible.

There’s plenty of feral or semi-feral dogs out here in the Oklahoma countryside. Lots of dogs come to the rig, some get adopted. I’m not sure why guys think he’s in someone else’s backyard. OP, if I’m on public land and there’s a pack of dogs that are aggressive toward man, I’m shooting them... all. From least aggressive to most if you want to neutralize as many as possible.
Because HE fucking said it --"Conditions now do now warrant shooting the neighbor's dog" --that hard to understand?

THEN when he got called out, "I'm in the woods".

I know what YOU are talking about too --BTDT, in NE shit stains would dump their dogs near the farms and they'd aggregate into packs. It never ended.

We live in the boonies.

Over the decades we've had

A pair of blue ticks, starved ,no collars and entirely covered with ticks. We used tick bath, tweezers and great patience to clear them up. Shot meds in them, fed them for a couple of weeks and called every coon hunter around, who in turn called others with no luck.
One day, they decided to move on, haven't seen them since.

Random drop offs around, somewhat friendly, but ran them off nicely.

Having small kids outside playing and feral grouchy fucking dogs barking at them as they come out of the woods is bad.

Those types of dogs get shot. Period.

So, OP, it depends on what the disposition and ownership of these dogs currently is.

Personally, I am a dog guy, have a couple right now, but I will protect my tribe from shitty dogs and shitty humans for that matter.

Luckily the drop off crap has slowed down for quite a few years now, thankfully.

Because HE fucking said it --"Conditions now do now warrant shooting the neighbor's dog" --that hard to understand?

THEN when he got called out, "I'm in the woods".

I know what YOU are talking about too --BTDT, in NE shit stains would dump their dogs near the farms and they'd aggregate into packs. It never ended.

I’m not slow to understand there, bud.

My point was that he was probably wrong. How does he know they’re pets, tags? If he’s out on public land and there are alarm dogs, aggressive dogs, heelers, labs, and “all of the above”. Doesn’t sound to me like a neighbor’s dog. Sounds like a “released into the country” pack, or a negligent owners pack. Either way those aren’t just destructive nuisances, they’re dangerous.

If you’re in the middle of the country and you’re being harassed by a full pack of dogs that would rather snarl at you than eat milkbones, then these aren’t your neighbors’ dogs. If that’s me, I’m going to think what if some kids come out here with their families, go off exploring on their own, and run into this pack 🤔. Then I’m going to eliminate that pack.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Seeing as how the S hasn't HTF yet... might I suggest you talk to someone at the county assessors office to see who owns the property in the AO. Maybe do a map recon. "Rural" area, doesn't always mean "public" area. A lot of hunters, and off roaders get themselves in hot water when they get caught on land they find out belongs to someone doesn't like surprises.

Jeeper sees trail, goes in, gets stuck. Finds out land owner is pissed nobody asked to come on his land, won't allow the recovery... If you see a trail, it's on somebody's land.

Getting to know your AO isn't a bad thing, just know that you don't "own" most of what you see as "your" AO. Catch more flies with honey, so to speak... Maybe ask around, make some new friends... You can always keep your eyes open while you're asking...

I'm working that direction... That is one reason I came here with my questions....

I think I get what you are about. I used to start walking at dusk and come back home at a few hours before sunrise. No particular reason beyond getting acquainted with the night.

I had better success with cross cut beef marrow bones. They take longer to consume and the dogs will run off with them to try and get at the marrow.

If you've figured out the locations where you encounter the same stubborn dogs, your best bet is to reroute around them. If that is not possible, even dogs have patterns of behavior. Keep working the route and you will eventually figure out a way past them. Worst thing is if you become predictable to the dog and it is just waiting for you to walk by and break the silence.

If you run across something better, I would be curious to know what it is.

Seeing as how the S hasn't HTF yet... might I suggest you talk to someone at the county assessors office to see who owns the property in the AO. Maybe do a map recon. "Rural" area, doesn't always mean "public" area. A lot of hunters, and off roaders get themselves in hot water when they get caught on land they find out belongs to someone doesn't like surprises.

I recommend https://www.onxmaps.com/

They seem to be pulling their data from the county assessors. Just remember that most county assessors don't always show who the owner is, but rather who is paying the taxes.

If you prefer to avoid services that require subscriptions and apps that log your GPS location, you can buy county level data sets in shp file format and convert it to KMZ/KML for loading on Google Earth.

I’m not slow to understand there, bud.

My point was that he was probably wrong. How does he know they’re pets, tags? If he’s out on public land and there are alarm dogs, aggressive dogs, heelers, labs, and “all of the above”. Doesn’t sound to me like a neighbor’s dog. Sounds like a “released into the country” pack, or a negligent owners pack. Either way those aren’t just destructive nuisances, they’re dangerous.

If you’re in the middle of the country and you’re being harassed by a full pack of dogs that would rather snarl at you than eat milkbones, then these aren’t your neighbors’ dogs. If that’s me, I’m going to think what if some kids come out here with their families, go off exploring on their own, and run into this pack 🤔. Then I’m going to eliminate that pack.
Sorry, shouldn't have come off as a dick. These urban commando threads get old though.

You don't smell bullshit?

Could be, I honestly don’t know.

I thought he might be failing to recognize a dangerous threat thinking they were just neighbors’ pets.

I am assuming you are near your home, which is pretty suburban as far as Montana goes. And somebody would have to be an idiot to use a heeler to guard livestock, unless they wanted their cows to be running back and forth all night. Every rancher I know out here uses Pyrenees, or a derivative, to keep predators at bay. Heelers will bark and screech like hell, though. That's for sure. But they don't run around in wild dog packs like around the rez.

Reactions: stefan73
I’ve never heard Montana called pretty suburban before.
It isn't. Where I live it sure as hell isn't. Where he lives is the closest to a leafy suburb we have.

I guess I don’t know him well enough to know where he lives.

When I lived in Montana, I saw llamas and donkeys used more than anything else, only times I can specifically remember seeing dogs were some Pyrenees on sheep operations.

I guess I don’t know him well enough to know where he lives.

When I lived in Montana, I saw llamas and donkeys used more than anything else, only times I can specifically remember seeing dogs were some Pyrenees on sheep operations.
Where did you live out here? He is in a town that gets written up in the Washington Post as the next great place to move. :).

Mostly Billings, couple places in carbon county when I first got there, Wolf Point, and Sidney. Spent most of my adult life in Montana, met my wife there, started our family there.

Reactions: Choid

david walter

Thank you for staying on topic. Excellent suggestion. I will follow up. Some good reviews and suggestions on the website. Something that should be in my vehicles, also.

Sounds like it's not really "your" AO...

If you fucked with my dogs, you'd have lot bigger problem the next time out.

I'm out in these clear cuts and shit too and, uh, dogs don't live in the goddamn mountains. Sounds like your "AO" is someone else's back yard to me.

Do you really think there are no places in the US where dogs roam free between private and public property?

If someone hurts one of your dogs on the loose, it's most likely your dog did something to deserve it. Ever think about that?

I've been harrassed by feral dogs before. I have zero fucks to give for them and will wreck them at the drop of a hat. And just so you know: snarling at me in public = feral.

Don't want me to kill a dog, keep it away from me.

Last edited:

This

I used to live in KS, and saw same.

Do you really think there are no places in the US where dogs roam free between private and public property?

If someone hurts one of your dogs on the loose, it's most likely your dog did something to deserve it. Ever think about that?

I've been harrassed by feral dogs before. I have zero fucks to give for them and will wreck them at the drop of a hat. And just so you know: snarling at me in public = feral.

Don't want me to kill a dog, keep it away from me.
Yeah, okay, so I'm not getting the feeling here he's dealing with packs of roaming dogs and he obviously hasn't felt the need to elaborate.

This

I used to live in KS, and saw same.
Same in NE. The worst part was the "last meal" --when the packs got too big and too unruly we'd have to put 'em down. They'd get whatever we had for dinner, then a .22 in the back of the head when finished. I fucking hated that shit. Rather feed that last meal to the fuckers that dropped 'em off to be honest.

I'm getting the idea he's sneaking around in the dark near other people's shit, alerting the dogs and then asking how to manage that. He specifically mentioned not taking out the neighbor's dogs... For now.

You've been here long enough to know, to read between the lines, and you also know that general "neighbor's dog is a dick, what do I do" threads wind up in the 'Pit, not in field tactics.

What's he wanna know, sniper shit about using integrally suppressed .22's? IME that was never a "thing" --we didn't have shit that small. The SEALS do but I don't what all they do with 'em, they bought those POS AWC's (if you want a really nice version of one of those call Dale at Elite Iron).

So okay, what to do? Avoid the dog. If stalking or being stealthy or snooping near your neighbor's shit, whatever the fuck you wanna call it, alerting the dog is the same thing as alerting the human. Ie, you're too goddamn close, too loud and/or the wind is not in your favor, period.

That's it.

If it's dogs that have been dumped by human trash, well, bear spray works better than anything else really.

I have moved about my AO for many years to hunt, fish, hike. With the influx of new residents, many bring dogs from a big city environment. The mindset seems to be since there are no leash requirements and this is a place of wide open spaces they are allowed to let their dogs roam. A few years ago the Sheriff's department had very few dog complaints. Today a good portion of their shift is answering dog complaints. The New Norm.

That sounds like a crap situation. I lived in a shit neighborhood when i was a young man, ghetto side of town, first house with the first girl i loved. I couldnt even walk around the block because of dogs and drug dealers... i bought a pitbull, and trained her. Then we started to walk my little hood everyday. She got muscled up from our walks that started at about 30 mins and ended at about 3 hours a night. What you need is a bigger meaner dog to protect you.

Having a dog with you just makes other dogs more interested.

If it's one aggressive dog that looks like it's not a feral, I'd keep an eye on it. Most dogs aren't going to attack. If it's more than one dog acting aggressive, I'd shoot them. JMHO

Having a dog with you just makes other dogs more interested.

If it's one aggressive dog that looks like it's not a feral, I'd keep an eye on it. Most dogs aren't going to attack. If it's more than one dog acting aggressive, I'd shoot them. JMHO
And that is a topic I hope to discuss........... I have had Black Labs in my past as hunting dogs. I don't have a dog at this time.. With the rapid changes in my environment and my adapting I can see a need for a dog in the future.

Reactions: Stucklatch
I'm not sure why this is so complicated.

If a dog becomes hostile, spray it. If it won't quit, kill it.

If you don't want to be detected by them, be quiet and don't smell.