• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing doI need to bed the stock

shooter.dm

Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Magee Mississippi
Hey guys I have the bnc stock with the alum in it would I benefit from bedding the action on this stock or no? If so what do I need to do and best way I can do it my self thanks for any input

Last edited:
I too would like to bed my rifles but I'm not sure if I am just shooting about 1.5 MOA with my remington 700 SPS tac in 223. So I guess i'm in the same boat.

i would bed it, even before i shot it. easy to do and it sure wont hurt anything. lee

This. I might shoot it first just so I could see the before/after difference, but I've never known a good bedding job to hurt anything, so I would bed it no matter how well it shoots initially. To me there's no such thing as "accurate enough" until I have a rifle that would be semi-competitive at a benchrest comp, so how it shoots now is usually irrelevant to me. Even if it makes no accuracy difference at all, I think proper bedding is worth the effort just to know that factor is as good as I can make it. In this particular case, I would expect it to help.

There are some basic how-to videos on both Brownell's and Midway. I have only worked with synthetic stocks, but the process should be similar with an aluminum block. The prep work may be a little more involved though.

if it has an aluminum bedding block, shoot it as is. if you honestly feel it should shoot better, then put the effort into bedding it. I have not messed with B&C stocks so I can't speak to the quality of their bedding block though. if you bed an aluminum bedding block equipped stock, I think you will seriously decrease the resale value of it. I know I wouldn't buy any previously bedded chassis or bedding block stock.

Salesman here!

There is a recent thread we've responded to addressing this "nut" regarding B/C and H/S stocks.

There is an alternative now to bedding them. Its called 3D surface machining and we've pioneered the process for alloy bedding block/chassis type stocks. It makes bedding obsolete.

-A bold statement but one based on experience.

If you'd like to inquire more about it, we would be happy to speak with you.

Good luck on your project.

C.