• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Doing a Half Marathon in February!!

Re: Doing a Half Marathon in February!!

Good luck. By Feb. you'll be ready to go for sure. First time I ran a long distance event I felt like I won the Olympics.

Bikes cost more than shoes... Plus, when do I have time to bike! LOL

I'm gonna go by Wednesday to a local place that specializes in competitive running and get a game plan...

Just be sure that your training regimen is well planned in order to reduce the risk of injury.

Good luck to you!

I can relate, I plan on doing my first half Labor Day,the American Discovery Trail half in Colorado Springs and I'm psyched to do it. My longest runs to date have only been 10 miles, so I hope I can do the additional 3.1 needed for the half.

Here's the training regimen I'm working on: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm

Hahaha. My longest run to date has been 3.6 miles, and that was today!
laugh.gif

I haven't ran over 4 miles since high school. Longest I've ever ran was a little over 5 miles...

The wild card for me is my left ankle. Have bone spurs in it that cause problems sometimes. If I decide to finally get them carved out before hand, then hopefully it won't set me back too far.

If you can run 8 miles, you can run a half marathon. The longestt hat I ran when I was training for my half marathon was 10 miles and I did just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to forget the running and get a bike!!</div></div> amen to that!!!Since I retired from the Army I have gotten into long distance biking and have saved my knees. Work your way up to Metric Century (62.5 miles) and then Century rides (100 miles) and you will find some great cardio.

Finishing a half marathon is a great feeling! I did my first one 2 years ago. Start with some training and just do a little more each time you run. You will get there. Get with someone who knows shoes and get the right equipment. Music helps a bunch! Have fun!