• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Doing it right this time...

BlackWhiskey

USMC
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2009
Salt Lake County, Utah
I have made several Rem. 700 .308's and I always end up selling them 'cause I'm not satisfied with how they perform. This because I either can't find the stuff I like, or I find it and can't afford it. I am currently starting a new build off a Remington 700 PSS for tacticool purposes, but I'm prepared to scrap it and go with Savage or Howa (what ever will give me the best final product for the money). I am hoping for suggestions of not only good products, but also places that I can get them at a reasonable price. I don't need to buy new (meaning I'll buy stuff you have to sell).

Preferences (not set):

Thumbhole stock
Mil/Mil optic minimum 10x

Thats about it. I'm really open for any suggestions.

Cheers

Re: Doing it right this time...

I don't own any coustoms and i have done well with my factory rifles so far but most importantly for me is load work up. I shot a .9" 300yd 5 shot group today with my bone stock remmy 700 but it took some load work up.

What do you mean by "made them"? Are you saying you do the smithing or do you mean you pick out the bolt on goodies? Also, what type of performance issues did you have with the other rifles? That info could help the guys here point you in the right direction. Or at least start a hell of a debate.

I think that as far as what can be done to a rifle the 700 is hard to beat. If you want something for it someone makes it for the 700. That being said I've had good luck with my Savage too, but my 700 is my favorite.

What type of shooting do you plan to do with it? Hunting, paper punching, matches ect. This will help decide the rifle and the optic.

What's your budget for the optic? I would say S&B, USO, Premier....but they're not on everyones budget. NF is a good compromise and probably #1 in the mid-level scope market. I don't own one but I know a lot of people who do and they're well respected. Vortex and SWFA SS would also be less expensive routes still with good quality.

You can get a Savage with a Mcmillan or HS stock. If you want a thumbhole go with the AICS. It's the only thumbhole stock I think I would buy for a tactical rifle.

Never had a Howa but my choice would be 700 then Savage.

Or you could call GAP, tell them what you want and have them build it. If you're unhappy with that rifle you might want to pick another hobby.

Ah yes. Well by made them I mean I purchased all the parts and put them together. I got out of the Marine Corps about 2 years ago, and did a bit of time in STA. Now that I'm out and realize how much my M40A3 actually costs to build, I'm trying to build a similar rifle since it's what I'm familiar with. I am currently going to college and don't have a lot of cash, but I am patient enough to save up for what I need. The reason for the thumbhole is that it's just really comfortable to me.

The MCS-T5 would be a good option. What stocks have you tried that make yuo prefer a thumb hole?

Budget is going to be a big factor here. If you can't aford to spend cash on lots of upgrades, you need to start with a really good factory rifle. If that is the case, I would recommend looking at the Tikkas, Sakos, Howas and upper end Savage and Remmy.

What do you want your riffle to do? What is good enough? Do you want a 1/4 MOA riffle at 100 yards, a 1 MOA rifle at all ranges out to 1K? Hunting? Range use? Paper and steel? Tactical comps?

There are very few rifles that are not good out of the box, the question is, how good do you need it to be?

Have you ever put together a rifle that you were happy with? If not, odds are that you are doing something wrong (either hardware or software). Although you do run across an odd dog every now and then, it is becoming rare that lots of diferent rifles in a group will all be inaccurate.

There are LOTS of options on glass, do your reserch, find out what features you want and don't skimp.

As of fully custom Remington are hard to beat.. If you look at most full custom competition guns out there they all have an action from or based off the 700's.. And are you using mil spec weapon parts? If you are you shouldn't find any better around..

BlackWhiskey,

I hope you don't take this wrong, or think I am being unhelpful.

But my suggestion is that you spend more time here reading, and doing some more research yourself, to help define YOUR needs.

For example:

What are "tacticool" purposes?
What are "good" products in your understanding of the term?
What is a "reasonable" price for your wallet?

You say you like thumbhole stocks:

So those are made by:

McMillan
Manners
AICS
H-S Precision

Just to name a few. Prices start @ $350. to over $1K.

How about MIL/MIL scopes over 10x?

Zeiss/Hensoldt
Schmidt und Bender
USO
Premier Heritage
Nightforce
Vortex
IOR
Leupold
Vortex
Bushnell
Falcon

Here we have prices from just over $300. to over $3k.

And that's not counting rifles like, Remingtons, Howas, Savages, Tikka, Sako's, Steyr's, Sauer's, Rugers, AI's. All of which make tactical rifles of sorts.

Prices of those are $500 to over $5k. And that's just factory offerings.

See where I'm going? Define your needs, define your budget, and then ask about those products that are in your range.

Thanks for asking,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As of fully custom Remington are hard to beat.. If you look at most full custom competition guns out there they all have an action from or based off the 700's.. And are you using mil spec weapon parts? If you are you shouldn't find any better around.. </div></div>

Wow, so, what exactly is a mil spec part? Does it have to say "mil spec" on it? Does it have a NSN?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BlackWhiskey,

But my suggestion is that you spend more time here reading, and doing some more research yourself, to help define YOUR needs.

For example:

So those are made by:

McMillan
Manners
AICS
H-S Precision

Zeiss/Hensoldt
Schmidt und Bender
USO
Premier Heritage
Nightforce
Vortex
IOR
Leupold
Vortex
Bushnell
Falcon

And that's not counting rifles like, Remingtons, Howas, Savages, Tikka, Sako's, Steyr's, Sauer's, Rugers, AI's. All of which make tactical rifles of sorts.

See where I'm going? Define your needs, define your budget, and then ask about those products that are in your range.

Thanks for asking,

Bob
</div></div>

Bob thanks for the help. I posted this a bit earlier.

"Ah yes. Well by made them I mean I purchased all the parts and put them together. I got out of the Marine Corps about 2 years ago, and did a bit of time in STA. Now that I'm out and realize how much my M40A3 actually costs to build, I'm trying to build a similar rifle since it's what I'm familiar with. I am currently going to college and don't have a lot of cash, but I am patient enough to save up for what I need. The reason for the thumbhole is that it's just really comfortable to me."

Is this enough info? I don't plan on competing or anything. I guess you could say I want it for when the time calls for it. I have the budget of a married man with a child. I'm going to college, living off of the GI bill and working part time as a bouncer. This is why I need help.

Black Whiskey,

Still not enough information....OK let's try it this way:

You say you have a Rem 700 PSS, presumably in 308. If so it comes with an H-S Precision stock.

When you get 50 posts, list it for sale here on the Hide for around $225-250.

Then take that money, and a few $ more, and you can buy this:

H-S Precision Thumbhole stock

Now you have a thumbhole stock, without breaking the bank.

Next you need: bases, scope and rings, in that order.

I like Seekins Precision 20 MOA bases, for around $99. from Liberty Optics. Here:

Liberty Optics

Next you need a scope, and then rings to but them in. Like I said before lots of good scopes but here are two I recommend, from SWFA:

SWFA 3-9x42mm FFP MIL/MIL $599.

SWFA 10x42 HD $799.

For rings, Seekins, or Badger Ordnance 30mm lows will work for either of those scopes.

Do that to your PSS, and you now have a serviceable rifle with thumbhole stock, decent rings, bases and scope.

That will get you started in the right direction. Fire several hundred to a thousand rounds through it, get the feel of what you have, and then you can talk about upgrades to the:

Trigger system upgrade
Skim bedding your stock
Bolt handle modifications
DBM System

Fire several thousand more rounds, and we can talk about upgrading your barrel, truing your action, swapping the stock out for a McMillan or Manners or AICS.

See it's an intrative process. Fix a little, shoot, fix some more, shoot some more, fix a little more, shoot a lot more.

Be patient you will get there.

Bob

im in the somewhat same situation.

havent got much funds for guns because im in university too

i started out getting a howa 1500 in 308 win with a 24 barrel 1:12 twist with a pillar houghe stock, and a buckmaster scope 4,5-14X44 some warne bases and rings and 100 shots from DAG wich uses RWS brass that all cost me about 1000 €

i bought the howa because its chearper than a remmy and the action is sturdier, the factory barrels are better (i hear ) and the trigger is adjustable, i bought the 100 rounds because they were cheap and as a source of brass, i bought the buckmaster because its good n cheap .

next i got a reloding set from lee, a set of dies from rcbs, a 3,5 kilo jug of VV140, 100 lapua scenars 155 grain, 200 sierra MK 168 grain , 100 180 grain sierra MK, and 100 lapua 167 grain scenar molyed.i bought a lyman trimmer and a frankfort arsenal tumbler...

the factory rws ammo and some other military ammo shot like 1-2moa
my first load development now schows that my rifle liks the 168 grain mk over the 180 grainers giving me 1-0,8moa

am playing around with seating depth now and have jet to test the moly stuff and the 155 scenars

i also ordered some lapua brass and a redding neck die as i mixed up the old brass, so i now have some brass shot 6 time and some maybe twice , wich is bad for accuracy.

in may i will have enough funds to get a decent 20MOA one piece base and a nightforce NXS 3,5-15X56 mlr/ mil with some burris tactical rings

together with a friend of mine who is experienced in bedding we will bed our rifles (he is currently putting a weatherby vanguard in 300wsm together with a SS scope ).

i will develope a load gives me 0,5moa then i consider it done.

on the long term i want to get an custom stock from roedal ,let them true the action , and install a new barrel ,maybe a new caliber but thats maybe 3500 rounds, and a lot of experience from now =)

Fisrt off, don't dick around with a factory Remington action, get an aftermarket action from one of the better makers.

On the top of the heap is the Surgeon which is basically what a 700 wishes it could be. Browse at http://www.surgeonrifles.com/homepage/ and take a look. It's not cheap but the 20 minute 1913 is milled as part of the action which makes for a much stiffer action, the recoil lug is part of the action which allows for more barrel tenon engagement, the bolt release is not part of the trigger assembly, AND it uses common 700 parts for the firing pin assembly. Oh yeah, you won't be worrying about the bolt handle coming off either, it's machined as part of the bolt body. Of course it's a bit more expensive.

For a lower price build take a look at a Stiller action, a drop in 700 clone, but much improved. http://viperactions.com/ The tolerances and machining start off (like most good aftermarket actions) where, if you are lucky, blueprinting will take a factory 700. And the price low for a good aftermarket action.

Barrels? Take your pick. Bartlein has gained much reputation in recent years. Kreiger is pretty good and they've been working on improving things. Go 5R rifling for a barrel.

I prefer McMillan, and of those I prefer the A-5.

Scopes. Scopes have got to be one of the most overhyped "tacticool" things going. The new 3-9 from SWFA is FFP, more useful under more shooting conditions than a fixed power, and cheap for what you get. For target shooting the Sightrons are big bang for the buck. I tend towarsd Nightforce BR scopes for competition because of the recticule choices (NP-1RR is my preferred long range target recticule). Everyone has their favorites.

Chambering. The ubiquitous .308. Or for ballistic superiority at the expense of barrel life, the .260. Of course if you want to shoot F/TR your choices are .308 or .223 (with a 1-8 barrel for the 80 grainers).

But if you are going to do custom build, unless you already have a 700 in hand, go with a custom action. It's actually cheaper if you only do it once instead of twice. And probably only $300 more expensive if you go with a Stiller action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackWhiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BlackWhiskey,

For example:

So those are made by:

McMillan
Manners
AICS
H-S Precision

Zeiss/Hensoldt
Schmidt und Bender
USO
Premier Heritage
Nightforce
Vortex
IOR
Leupold
Vortex
Bushnell
Falcon

Thanks for asking,

Bob
</div></div>

"Ah yes. Well by made them I mean I purchased all the parts and put them together. I got out of the Marine Corps about 2 years ago, and did a bit of time in STA. Now that I'm out and realize how much my M40A3 actually costs to build, I'm trying to build a similar rifle since it's what I'm familiar with. I am currently going to college and don't have a lot of cash, but I am patient enough to save up for what I need. The reason for the thumbhole is that it's just really comfortable to me."

Is this enough info? I don't plan on competing or anything. I guess you could say I want it for when the time calls for it. I have the budget of a married man with a child. I'm going to college, living off of the GI bill and working part time as a bouncer. This is why I need help. </div></div>

Hmmm... I'm thinking Mall Ninja... Anybody else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackWhiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BlackWhiskey,

</div></div>

Is this enough info? I don't plan on competing or anything. I guess you could say I want it for when the time calls for it. I have the budget of a married man with a child. I'm going to college, living off of the GI bill and working part time as a bouncer. This is why I need help. </div></div>

Hmmm... I'm thinking Mall Ninja... Anybody else? </div></div>

Not sure what a Mall Ninja is, but I assume it is a less than flattering term. If you want to verify my credentials please go to www.sotconsulting.com and click on the "about us" section. There you will find a cheesy picture of me with the beginning of my first build, and below that some information that may help you better see where I've been.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry... You just sounded kinda' hokey. And the signature didn't help! My bad...

John </div></div>

No worries. I'm sure I sounded hokey, and consider my signature deleted.