• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Donor Brass: Federal vs. Hornady

Xander3Zero

Just a normal dude.
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2017
Rhode Island
As the subject states, I'm looking for opinions and experience regarding federal and hornady brass, and which is better suited for reloading some precision ammo. I will be neck sizing with a collet die, and shoulder bumping when necessary with a forster die.

As some background, I have a 223 being built right now and am planning to fire form either FGM 77 SMK's or hornadys 73 ELD-match ammo. I'll use that brass to do my load development which I am planning to use 75gr ELD-M, CCI #400, and varget. I reload with the FGM brass for my 308 and have good results, but am curious if it preferred over the hornady brass or not.

I am aware that I could just buy lapua/norma cases, but I would like to get an accuracy baseline of the new rifle with some factory ammo before diving into the load development.

I have had good (repeatable) results with Federal brass, as well as acceptable case life. I do not anneal and scrap it once it cracks. I have not reloaded Hornady brass so I can't comment on how they compare.

In .308 by the way, using Varget as well.

I've had good luck with both being about the same. Having said that, I trash them all after 6 reloads.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to get an accuracy baseline with some federal gold medal 77gr SMK, and use that fire formed brass to start load development with hornady 75gr ELD-M's.

Possibly down the road when that brass has had enough, I will migrate over to lapua brass.

You could also try the Norma Match stuff loaded with 77gr SMK. Looks to be a bit cheaper than or around the same price as FGMM but you're left with Norma brass.

You could also try the Norma Match stuff loaded with 77gr SMK. Looks to be a bit cheaper than or around the same price as FGMM but you're left with Norma brass.

This, the primers are crimped but that is easily mended and youre left with much better brass after the fact. Plus the norma is my go to factory in the 55 fmj, $6.49 for 20 when its on sale at cabelas.