• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dont laugh you big cnc guys, but thoughts on a HAAS Mini Mill?

jonaddis84

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.area419.com
I am in need of a new mill, and would rather just get a CNC than another manual. I would love a nice big machine, but I have no access to real 3 phase (I know I could run a rotary). Also, am unsure of my concrete in my shop to set a 6000lb+ machine in there

I also do not do this full time, so I dont need a $50-60k mortgage on a machine. I like the Fadal VMC15 machines, as some have a single phase option, but finding one of those equipped with a 4th axis for under $30k is proving impossible. Then I need $10+k in tooling on top of that.

There is a HAAS Mini Mill local to me with a buttload of tooling, and a 4th axis, and hes asking $32k for all of it. Haas CNC and Tooling - Complete Package

I just dont know if there would be any point to this machine if two of the biggest things I want to do with it is stock work and barrel fluting? I dont need super high speed low drag machinery, and its not getting used 10 hours a day. I just dont want to spend $30k on something that wont even fit my needs.

Thanks

Seems good with the 4th axis at that price? What's the x/y travel, 16" or are those bigger?

Disregard just saw the ad, 16" x. Is that enough for you?

Last edited:
Work envelope it pretty small 16" on the X, then you have the rotary axis and the tail stock. You'd be doing good to get a 12" barrel in it for fluting. I don't think the cabinet has a door on either side to allow you to extend work outside of the cabinet. The 6000 RPM spindle really limits you with smaller tooling when dealing with aluminum or composite materials, you're stuck running your feeds really slow.

Glen Seekins started out many years ago with a Haas Mini-Mill, back when he just did scope rings, he could shed some hands on insight into the matter. I know he quickly outgrew the machine.

One other note, I see most of the tool holders are the Weldon style. They are fairly inexpensive for a reason. Majority of operators run ER or TG tool holders and the big boys run the shrink fit type.

Yeah, I should probably forget about it. Just got a little excited seeing all the tooling and the 4th axis. 16" really does limit the work, probably no chance of barrel fluting. Only really be able to do bolts, inlet stocks, make brakes, etc. Maybe if it was a stupid cheap deal.