• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Don't need, but want a new rifle!

CWB4

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2020
Crook County, IL
So long story short I am looking for a newer rifle that will mainly see deer in the UP (100 yards max) and an occasional CO trip for Elk that should max out between 200-300 yards. I know a ton of people recommend Tikka, but boy looks like they have tons of options.

I always wanted a lighter rifle in the woods or hiking the land in CO. I completely understand this is an open ended question and everyone is going to have some different thoughts, but I have done enough reading that I want to get a conversation going on this. I would prefer to stay 308 since I don't honestly feel like getting a new caliber stock pile going have enough as it is. I like the idea of a folding stock, but again I don't know if it is necessary and never actually felt a folding stock on a bolt to see how it feels. I am by no means an expert here so truly open to thoughts and suggestions. I would think 20" or under barrel length should be enough for that distance easily.

I would prefer to find someone selling a solid bolt 308 that is set up tried and true as I have done that before from here and worked out very well. I don't need it to be brand new just want it to perform a couple times a year.

Thanks!

Tikka light in 308 would be a fine choice for a light carry rifle thats cheap. For only 300 yards you dont need a long barrel for max speed or anything, a short 308 will do nice. A 178 eldx precison hunter ammo would be a fine round to match with it.

If youre chasing elk and getting inside 300 yards of them then a light rifle will be appreciated when you spend days on end wandering around not seeing anything :ROFLMAO:

The folding stock will be nice when hiking far and high. Get the Tikka Lite or Superlite, and drop it in an XLR Magnesium folding chassis.

Reactions: Ronws
The folding stock will be nice when hiking far and high. Get the Tikka Lite or Superlite, and drop it in an XLR Magnesium folding chassis.
I wanted to say something like that. What I did was take one of my .308 rifles and put it in an MDT LSS Gen 2 and a folding stock adapter and the SCS adjustable butt stock. Not only does it make it compact to stow, I don't have to drop the cheek riser to clean. I fold the stock and the bolt has a clear shot to exit the action. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. However, the chassis does have some weight to it.

I know of a guy who hunts with a SCAR in woody areas and that has worked well, too.

Last edited:
I will thirds this. A tikka t3 lite in 308 with the barrel cut to 18-20 inch will literally kill everything out to 300 and be handy.

So long story short I am looking for a newer rifle that will mainly see deer in the UP (100 yards max) and an occasional CO trip for Elk that should max out between 200-300 yards. I know a ton of people recommend Tikka, but boy looks like they have tons of options.
Are you saying that you wouldn't shoot at one past 200-300 yards, or that thats as much rifle as you expect you'll need? Not trying to derail your thread, just think thats an important distinction to what you're asking. If you don't plan on shooting past that then 16" would be enough....

Reactions: Digetydog
Typically on the land that I would be hunting they haven't had to shoot past 300 yards. I would of course take a longer shot if need be, but was going on the range that most are taken at.

I wanted to say something like that. What I did was take one of my .308 rifles and put it in an MDT LSS Gen 2 and a folding stock adapter and the SCS adjustable but stock. Not only does it make it compact to stow, I don't have to drop the cheek riser to clean. I fold the stock and the bolt has a clear shot to exit the action. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. However, the chassis does have some weight to it.

I know of a guy who hunts with a SCAR in woody areas and that has worked well, too.
I wouldn't mind a little weight with a folding stock as I could back pack it and help distribute the weight properly.

Swap barrel for a pop can sized 22” CF 308 Bartlein. Load Hammer Bullets with 137 Hunters and point it at anything.

Folding stock! Magpul 700 Pro chassis in the wild! The stock does have a little more weight in the forearm, so a CF in M24/MTU would really balance out the rig.

IMG_9361.jpeg

IMG_9351.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc
Tikka would be my recommendation as well. A Ruger Predator would be a cheap option also

When you say hunting in da “UP” where you talking?

Im selling a 6.5 CM

I know it’s not .308 but

But would make an excellent hunting rig

I feel for you , have the same desires one of every gun ever made and one custom gun to rule them all .

some times want is close enough to a need for the differences not to matter

Last edited:
Goodness gracious, okay. Well, sometimes a person may not know. No harm meant.

Reactions: hafejd30
Goodness gracious, okay. Well, sometimes a person may not know. No harm meant.
Of course sometimes people say UP and they mean the upper end of the lower peninsula

If that’s what he means then he can buy a savage 😎

I hope it’s plagued with ejection issues 😁

• Haha
Another option you might consider would be the Savage 110 Storm in 308 in the lite model. Mine has been flawless and boringly accurate. No, the action is not as smooth as a Tikka T3, but a longer bolt handle helps the lift. Mine improved with just an enlarged bolt knob.

Considering a tikka T3 is very reasonably priced I doubt I would keep it as is. If I could do a folding stock, and possibly get an 18" barrel I think that would make a good combo. I have a spare vortex PST 3-15 I could use as well.

If you were putting it together what stock and barrel would you use? I really like the idea of a folding stock when hiking around the land.

Swap barrel for a pop can sized 22” CF 308 Bartlein. Load Hammer Bullets with 137 Hunters and point it at anything.

Folding stock! Magpul 700 Pro chassis in the wild! The stock does have a little more weight in the forearm, so a CF in M24/MTU would really balance out the rig.

View attachment 8135401
View attachment 8135402
Good evening,

I'm considering the Magpul 700 Pro. My barrelled action (Rem 700 SA footprint) mounts a 1.25 inch barrel (at the shank) in a MTU like contour. its 0.93 inch at the muzzle.
According Magpul, this barrel would be too large. They say a medium palma countour (whitout specifying the max. shank diameter) would fit only if 6 inch off the breech, the barrel makes max. 0.92 diameter. Furthermore they say that all their stocks/chassis fit the same type of barrels.

According my researches:
1) a 1.25 inch barrel at the shank should have some little room to be still freefloating.
2) the forend is straight and a theoretically perfectly cylindrical (the same diameter at shank and muzzle) should fit.
According you experience, are you may be able to confirm this?

Thanks very much in advance!

Good evening,

I'm considering the Magpul 700 Pro. My barrelled action (Rem 700 SA footprint) mounts a 1.25 inch barrel (at the shank) in a MTU like contour. its 0.93 inch at the muzzle.
According Magpul, this barrel would be too large. They say a medium palma countour (whitout specifying the max. shank diameter) would fit only if 6 inch off the breech, the barrel makes max. 0.92 diameter. Furthermore they say that all their stocks/chassis fit the same type of barrels.

According my researches:
1) a 1.25 inch barrel at the shank should have some little room to be still freefloating.
2) the forend is straight and a theoretically perfectly cylindrical (the same diameter at shank and muzzle) should fit.
According you experience, are you may be able to confirm this?

Thanks very much in advance!
You’ll have to go based on manufacturer recommendations then. I sold off my 700Pro stock and thus can’t get direct measurements.