• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dont read if beginner questions annoy you...

jericho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
ct
Could someone please explain headspace and its implications to me?Also, how do you decide what barrel contour is best for your application?
Thanks in advance for your patience.

Re: Dont read if beginner questions annoy you...

Headspace is in relation to how the cartridge locks up into the chamber. To tight and the bolt won't close or will be so tight to cause you issues. The bigger problem will be too loose of a headspace. The cartridge chambers but is so loose in the chamber that this can lead to dangerous conditions, poor accuracy, shorten brass life, and many others.

Choosing a barrel contour is pretty much up to you. You don't really want a large barrel that if you're going to be packing the rifle around the mountain while hunting, unless you like packing heavy rifles. You're not going to want to use a hunter weight pencil barrel for tactical or F-Class where multiple shots will be needed and where heat builds up can be an issue.

It's a matter of choosing the contour that will benefit the type of shooting you will be doing, how many rounds you fire between strings, and so on

Headspace is measured from the datum line of a cartridge (middle of the shoulder) to the case head on non-belted cases. Belted cases are measured from the face of the belt (leading edge) to the case head. Each caliber has steel Go & No Go Gauges manufactured to its headspace; this is what we use to determine proper headspace

Barrel contours are less important than what's inside but, the LV & HV contours have served me well in Hunting, Tactical & BR style Rifles. Not too light and not too heavy. I've had barrels on my rifles from 22" sporter weights to 30" 1.250" straight. LV & HV are where I'm at now.

Thanks guys.That clears up some questions I have.I appreciate it.