• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Don't Snipe the Messenger

SHLowlight

HMFIC Damage Controller
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Jul 24, 2001
Colorado
[h=3]The Rise of the Obstinate[/h]
19983737_1501373116552873_744300218086377463_o-900x900.jpg
Sheep Creek Lodge Bear
It’s been said, more than once for sure, that ownership does not equal competence. Just ask all the guys who have wrapped their $100,000 sports car around a telephone pole. Sure they owned a Lamborghini, but the first time they kicked it in the ass they wrecked it.

We see the same thing with precision rifle owners. Yes, they own said product, but their local range only goes to 200 yards, and the farthest they have shot in their life might have been 400 yards. Replying with assertiveness does not add to their credibility but you’d never know it.

Today, those guys are the resident experts on your local Facebook group. Some of them even started that group because they were tired of looking silly and always getting corrected by guys with a lot more experience.

I see it every day, though I am less prone to respond as it’s not worth my time. Seeing guys I have known for 15 years, accomplished Precision Rifle shooters being told their experience doesn’t count.

The YouTube comments are just as bad, constantly questioning “why” I upgraded the Ruger Precision Rifle the way I did. How it’s not a Ruger anymore, never looking past their own nose seeing the aftermarket industry that grew out of my upgrade videos. I had the Ruger months before it was released to the public, I was setting the stage even back then as it was designed to be modular the way you see it today. Constantly asking why seems strange to me. [h=3]Sniping the Messenger[/h]
SH_HD_Frank-1-2-1348x900.jpg
Teaching Precision Rifle in Alaska
It’s not a personal attack on your manhood to be corrected. When you make a mistake or post a long debunked assumption, it helps everyone to stop that line of false thinking in its tracks. Bad information gets repeated a lot.

Shooting is one of the longest running games of Telephone out there. Before 9-11 precision rifle advances moved at a snail’s pace. Today, it’s changing every week. Thanks to computers, video, and more people getting into the sport, we see a lot of changes. The old wive’s tales from 1978 no longer apply. You might as well be holding your breath when you shoot.

I went to Sniper School in 1986. A lot has changed since then. I would never try to tell someone to do what I did to graduate back in the day. Our level of understanding has grown considerably. That said, I have kept up with modern times. Shooting is my job after all. I have been doing this on a full-time basis since the early 2000s. I continue to teach and see a wide cross section of individuals from Argentina to Alaska, with a ton of stops in-between. [h=3]Education is not an Insult[/h]
SH_HD_AKMarcClass-1-1348x900.jpg
Alaska Precision Rifle Class
When passing on lessons learned, nothing is more annoying than having someone come on and say, “I have owned that since 2009 and never had a problem with it”. Great, let me add your sample size of 1 into my personal database.

A prime example of this was during my recent trips to Alaska. It’s truly the last frontier up there. I have seen rifles in my AK classes I have not seen in the lower 48 for close to 8 years. In 2017 alone we trained 74 different shooters during our AK Precision Rifle Courses. That makes for a nice sampling of shooters and equipment. Much of that equipment is on the budget side. They are in the process of upgrading so we get to see the journey of a new shooter.

During the June classes, we had many scopes go down. In one class, 5 out of 15 scopes failed to return to zero. We try to diagnose the problems, and when relating the stories, we often get the attention of the various manufacturers. They will call me directly when reading the posts on Sniper’s Hide, usually within minutes of me posting. The June class was no different. I was in direct contact with the companies explaining my observations.

We found the biggest contributor to the problem was vertically split rings. I know right, who would have guessed? I was never a fan of them, they aren’t precision. They started out as affordable AR rings and then somehow morphed in to go to precision rifle equipment. I never advocate inexpensive for the sake of cost, as you get what you pay for in this case. Stuff designed for the AR crowd is not my idea of quality in the context of a precision rifle. The Airsoft stuff used is worse.

No this does not include the ARC rings, they are not true split rings which were the root of the problems. Since that class, we have paid more attention and in July we replaced two sets of split rings and loaned a good scope to a shooter with a third set. Clearly, they are turning out to be an issue.

We see the same argument online with guys buying Knock-Off, Airsoft quality bipods. The Facebook expert who has owned a Knock Off bipod for 1 year is all too happy to tell you how they saved money and see no downside. They never broke one, so who cares what the consequences of supporting a Chinese knock off Atlas clone might be. As soon as someone asks, they jump in to promote this junk.
Screen-Shot-2017-07-23-at-6.15.22-PM-702x900.png
Justifying Knock Off and AirSoft Products for actual Rifles
It’s Identical… or so he says, cause you know an AI is overpriced.

Ask B&T Industries how many times guys have called attempting to warranty a knock off. They don’t tighten down properly, they will eventually collapse under recoil, but hey, the guy saved money. [h=3]Scopes are the weakest link – we are trying to help.[/h]
SH_HD_AKMarcScopes-1-1348x900.jpg
Alaska Precision Rifle Scope Testing
In a Precision Rifle Weapons’ system, the scope is the weakest link. (aside from the shooter) They have the highest chance of failure, and those errors come in a variety of ways.
  • Downright failure to track at all
  • Adjustments that are not accurate to the system
  • Failure to return to zero correctly
  • Mixed Adjustment systems – MOA vs. IPHY in the same scope
In the past, many of these errors were overlooked because we doped our rifles at a distance. We shot, recorded our data in our Databook, where right or wrong, as long as the scope made the same error twice we never saw it. If your average range engaged was less than 400 yards we might never notice a problem. Today all that is out the window thanks to ballistic computers. [h=3]Ballistic Solver Errors[/h]
SH_HD_122Flatline-1-5-1280x854.jpg
Software Variations
Scope adjustment errors are one of the leading causes of ballistic software errors. Everyone has an app on their phone and in my classes, I stress the point that theses Apps are Tools and Not Toys. The shooter is required to their part to ensure accuracy.

Number one in every one of my presentations when it comes to ballistic solver truing states, “Calibrate your Scope.” That means tall target testing. Another common error is testing return to zero on an 8×11 sheet of paper. There is a clue in the term, “Tall Target Testing.” Tall means more than a few inches. I recommend a minimum of 36″ or 10 mils worth.

During our Precision Rifle 2 class in Alaska, we had Targets USA build us a dedicated scope testing apparatus. We removed every student’s scope and tested it. We found only five scopes tracked 100%, and the majority of scopes had an error of 1.5%. No big deal, but enough to enter a correction into your ballistic solver. That is why these solvers let you do this type of click adjustment. [h=3]Disagreements in the face of Facts[/h]
talltarget-1392x900.png
Scope Testing Views
On the flight home from Alaska, I noticed John McQuay of 8541 Tactical talking about people complaining about a review he wrote. Apparently, a favorite product did not fare so well, their answer, attack John. Instead of understanding things change, companies evolve and not always for the better, it was back to, “well my rifle is fantastic so you must not know what you are talking about”. Sad because it could save people some money. Here is a clue, skip the Remington and consider a Tikka. You might be surprised.

I posted on the Sniper’s Hide Facebook page to not only check your scope but understand the difference between Shooter’s MOA and True MOA. It matters, it can be as much as 2 MOA off at 1000 yards which mean, 20″. Hoping to educate the readers I was met with a comment, “What does it matter, you cannot see .047″ at 100 yards”. Okay, you got me … you cannot see .047 with the naked eye at 100 yards. But what about at 1000 yards? What about your software which you are counting on. If you tell the software you are adjusting in MOA it assumes True MOA. If you scope, however, adjusts in SMOA, that means as much as 2 MOA difference in your 1000 yard dope. Next week you’ll be complaining about Ballistics AE and how it was off.

We had a 17 post discussion before the originator of the comment deleted the whole thing. I will mention his final statement before deleting was, “He was right” you cannot see .047. Even though we demonstrated, you could, didn’t matter.

Errors compound, the farther you shoot, the more conscious of these errors you have to be. Inside 400 yards you might never see it, but I guarantee you will see it at 1000 yards. In reply to this comment, he said, “his dope for his rifle is correct, and he can hit a 1000 yards, so it doesn’t matter”. Great, he walked it in, figured it out and now can repeat it. Doesn’t mean he understands what a MOA is, or how IPHY can differ. Stop teaching me something is all I read.

Ask a question or look for clarification before attacking the messenger

It’s not about the argument; it’s not about attacking your choice in equipment, it’s about educating those looking to move forward in their precision rifle journey.

Just because we say we see a number of errors or failures in a particular brand, does not mean we are attacking you personally because you own that brand. If it works for you, great, but don’t ignore the statistics. Bringing attention to a problem is how it gets fixed. [h=3]Move out of your Comfort Zone[/h]
IMG_0529-1200x900.jpg
Out of Your Comfort Zone
When was the last time, on your own you were forced outside your comfort zone? Nobody takes a leisurely trip to the range and that creates a situation where they will fail. By “they” I mean their equipment. It goes against human nature. If you honestly tested it, you might see what we see, but then you’ll realize you might have wasted your money. In many cases ignorance is bliss.

There is a lot of guys with real world experience out there getting frustrated by the level of obstinance seen in these groups. All they want is for reliable information to be passed on and not something previously debunked. Our goal is to save you money and not sell a product. Funny, he said my opinion in the SMOA vs. TMOA discussion didn’t matter because Prime Ammo sponsored me. Nobody said a word about ammo, but that was the justification. You cannot trust my opinion because I shoot Prime Ammo. I not only laughed out loud, but I am also chuckling now writing this.
wreckedlambo-1200x900.jpg
Ownership is Not Competence
Ownership is not competence, so if you never shot past 400 yards, never attended a competition or some form of organized training, consider reading before you write. Shooters are a generous bunch and will share with you all sorts of insight if you let them. But you have to be open to the fact things have changed. Grandpa for all his good shooting was not always right. He might have instilled you with some bad habits. We see it every class.

It’s not about you until you make it so.

One thing i will never understand is the stupid ways shooters try to cut corners to save a couple bucks.....

they have no problem dropping $1000 on a barreled action....$700 on a new stock.....$1200 on glass...........but when it comes to scope rings and bases, they buy as cheap as they can....and the bawk at spending $100 on rings.

and same with bipods......theyve got a rifle worth $2500.......and they cant spend the $250 for an actual atlas......and buy a cheap $30 knock off instead......like wtf? Have a little pride in your build will you.

another thing that pisses me off is when people talk about group sizes.......they will shoot ONE 3 shot group( and 3 shot groups are BS btw....a group needs to be 5-10 rounds honestly) that measures .25" and then they will claim that their rifle "will shoot 1/4 moa ALL DAY".......like no....no it wont.....

i mean hell, ive shot .3 MOA groups with my factory 700 before.......but it is not a .3MOA gun........its a 1MOA gun that has shot sub moa on occasion.......god that drives me nuts when people review firearms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yasherka
if you really want to eat a bullet, go to a gun shop or worse, a retail chain that sells firearms and people watch...
truthfully, its like that with everything, in example, tires, look at the shit people put on their cars and trucks.

Yeah, BTDT a few times. Had a counter commando once proclaim loudly and proudly after quizzing me about my carry that he carried a Llama.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/gH2w1Yo.jpg"}[/IMG2]

if you really want to eat a bullet, go to a gun shop or worse, a retail chain that sells firearms and people watch...
truthfully, its like that with everything, in example, tires, look at the shit people put on their cars and trucks.

Even worse, a gun show, if you really want to throw up.

Great article, Frank, well written, and to the point. Im aware that I know very little, comparatively, and look forward to learning.

Did I sense the ghost of ....'CKA':cool: ...

Do you know what I learned by hanging around here? I don't know shit. I'm happy I found this place, and I'm even happier you membership standards are low enough for me to join. I learn stuff every time I take the time to learn. I'm just glad my eating doesn't depend on my shooting because, well I'd be a lot thinner, we'll just leave it at that. Thanks Frank.

Great article!!

I'm much more familiar with handguns but I'm starting to try and learn precision rifles. The more I read, the more I realize how much I need to learn.

I never claim to 100% right (on handgun stuff) but I know more than most. I try to help educate people but there's some people I just walk away from scratching my head. It's not worth the effort to try and educate them. I've seen it first hand at my local range on a kids day outing with the crusty old timer. I tried discussing it but wasted my breath. In the end, help educate those that truly want to learn and let Murphy sort out the rest.

Seemingly a product of current society.
As they value themselves by their purchases any questions of quality/performance of said choices become a personal attack.
The journey to wisdom begins with the statement, "I don't know".

R

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
Do you know what I learned by hanging around here? I don't know shit. I'm happy I found this place, and I'm even happier you membership standards are low enough for me to join. I learn stuff every time I take the time to learn. I'm just glad my eating doesn't depend on my shooting because, well I'd be a lot thinner, we'll just leave it at that. Thanks Frank.

Yup.

This was needed. I like what you said about the mostly budget equipment. This game is expensive. I make good money, but not 6000.00 rifle money with an extra 6000.00 "trainer" with both rifles wearing 2500+ dollar scopes money........I just don't see how it can be done with out going into massive amounts of debt for the most of us. I know that there are people that make good money professionals, business owners and such that can do it. But my God. If it wasn't for the RPR and the Vortex Viper series of scopes and now Athlon most wouldn't even be able to do this at all including myself. I have a soon to be 5 year old, I'm still in College and there is no chance in hell that I could go home and tell the wife, hey everyone is shooting with a 2500 dollar vortex on there rifles so I need one too so I don't look stupid, and just get one...like not gonna happen. NOT that I don't want one or wouldn't take one if I won one in a match which I have never even shot in yet. But its just like another world to me, and like you said in the review of the NightForce SHV, "Not everyone can afford the 2500 dollar scopes, and that's a lot of people out there" so true. And just because you can won't mean I will listen to what you have to say, unless I see you DO what you say you can, and like with Frank.......we see him DO all the time.

This is an incredible game, I love it, I love this site and shooting in general thank you for what you do Frank. I hope to take a class from you one day.

Dont snipe the questioner either, that little word, "why" drives most innovation. Understanding the why, is often crucial in understanding the mechanics behind what is happening. We are in the age of all bull shit all the time radio. "Why" is a defense mechanism to help sort through the bull shit. Although some are just curious, stupid, ignorant, trying to be annoying or funny, or all the above. I guess thats where you as teacher, decide which questioner snipe.

Any time I hear of a mechanical problem caused by odd stresses, it peaks my interest. I don't know why, but I am like a moth staring a light bulb. I have never owned anything i haven't tried to take apart. LOL. Why? Because I am an idiot, who loves to learn; the hard way. {not entirely true only ever taken a couple scopes apart, nothing good}

When I ask most people here why, it is out of respect, the way a student would ask a teacher.

Except, in the Bear pit of course. I respect most of the guys in here, more the way I respect a roast beef sandwich.

Outstanding post! Everything you wrote is right on.

Just one question.... What does TiborRex think of your post? Because, well, he is 'the' expert, isn't he???

Ok... I'll just go ban myself now.... See you guys in a month or so.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Good luck maybe the ban hammer is lighter since the move back

I'm here to learn as much as my mind will let me. Lost a god friend and an old timer about a year ago. Always hunted for meat but only recently have become very interested in super accuracy. I don't care at what yardage. I'd like to be able to be reasonably accurate at 1000, but still enjoy the thought of a few different chunks of bullet through one hole. I've just joined this forum but have come across it ma y times out on the web while learning what I could. I am one of those who ask why as the need of how shit works and all that. The More I look around in here, the better I like it!

Shit, my friend the old timer was a long distance shooter as well as one that reloaded. When he left, so did his knowledge that I've always been accustomed and spoiled of having a phone call away.

Outstanding post! Everything you wrote is right on.

Just one question.... What does TiborRex think of your post? Because, well, he is 'the' expert, isn't he???

Ok... I'll just go ban myself now.... See you guys in a month or so.

Cheers,

Sirhr

T-bone-a-sore-ass-wrecked? He's like FabioCrow07770 on lithium.

When I ask most people here why, it is out of respect, the way a student would ask a teacher.

Except, in the Bear pit of course. I respect most of the guys in here, more the way I respect a roast beef sandwich.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/4NxWCOK.gif"}[/IMG2]

Excellent post/article. It should probably be posted in hard copy at every range in the US.

I wonder how many guys will come on here and admit to being "that guy". I will. I bought a USO years back. It was specifically the reason I came on this site, to get more opinions/experience with them. Anyhow, I was all happy as I had a reticle (Type 1 MOA) that I could hold quickly instead of dialing. Not that dialing wasn't important, just that holding is quicker. Turns out my scope reticle and adjustments is SMOA, not MOA.
Anyhow, the exact scenario that SHLowlight described came up, about never seeing the difference in .47" at 1k. I was the one who said it would never matter. It was, believe it or not, politely explained to me that when you dial, that little .047" error is compounded with each click. At 1k you are off nearly 20". So, it's not the .47" it's the number of clicks. The math was right on, and I had to come back with a big fat D'OH! And, the reason I never caught it was I just figured someone's ballistic program or my atmosphere inputs were off a little

Lesson learned, people will help if you don't get in their face. They'll continue to help unless right after they told you how to do something, you run off and find someone who will perpetuate the "myth" instead of the way they just showed you. When I get into discussions about long range shooting with low time or non-shooters, I often get the blank stare of "how do you know all this?" I have to say in my case, it's been a long road of a lot of mistakes. There is too many people out there who know what they're doing and will share the information to just let that resource be unused.

I'm always learning, and I ask "why" to understand the reasons behind what I learn. It's how I learn, it's how I am.

Likewise, when I teach someone about shooting, I start by explaining the why. When whomever I'm trying to help dismisses the why and wants to go right to the how, I politely disengage.

Reactions: TexasGunSlinger
I wonder how many guys will come on here and admit to being "that guy". I will. I bought a USO years back. It was specifically the reason I came on this site, to get more opinions/experience with them. Anyhow, I was all happy as I had a reticle (Type 1 MOA) that I could hold quickly instead of dialing. Not that dialing wasn't important, just that holding is quicker. Turns out my scope reticle and adjustments is SMOA, not MOA.
Anyhow, the exact scenario that SHLowlight described came up, about never seeing the difference in .47" at 1k. I was the one who said it would never matter. It was, believe it or not, politely explained to me that when you dial, that little .047" error is compounded with each click. At 1k you are off nearly 20". So, it's not the .47" it's the number of clicks. The math was right on, and I had to come back with a big fat D'OH! And, the reason I never caught it was I just figured someone's ballistic program or my atmosphere inputs were off a little

Lesson learned, people will help if you don't get in their face. They'll continue to help unless right after they told you how to do something, you run off and find someone who will perpetuate the "myth" instead of the way they just showed you. When I get into discussions about long range shooting with low time or non-shooters, I often get the blank stare of "how do you know all this?" I have to say in my case, it's been a long road of a lot of mistakes. There is too many people out there who know what they're doing and will share the information to just let that resource be unused.

I had a debate one day, I believe it was with army jerry, where I claimed the recoil impulse didn't start until the bullet exited the muzzle and the pressure vessel was uncorked. I have thought I had many other things figured out too, that left me red cheeked and learning. I found this place after messing around with some long range shooting. I had just bought an M3 mark 4. I looked at a Weaver at a local shop at the same time, but FFP mil/mil fuck that. What the fuck is a mil anyway? LOL.

I have to thank LL for the place I learn so much. And all you other guys for sharing knowledge, laughs, insults, and jokes.

Well, you gotta expect this shit, America leads the world in denial and they all want to be experts; call them out they get offended.

There's a time and a place to pretend you are competent when in fact you are not.

If you are among friends why?

There's a time and a place to pretend you are competent when in fact you are not.

If you are among friends why?

If there's one thing that this site has underlined to me, it's that when lives are possibly at risk as a consequence of one's actions, or overstated competencies, mind your fucking lane.

The very, very great majority of us line up on paper and steel, if not animals. A very small percentage of us (I'm assuming) from time to time line up on individuals who have rendered themselves into targets.

If you aren't doing your utmost to make sure that the aforementioned minority among us make it back home in one piece, you're part of the problem. Fuck that noise. Be part of the signal.

If there's one thing that this site has underlined to me, it's that when lives are possibly at risk as a consequence of one's actions, or overstated competencies, mind your fucking lane.

The very, very great majority of us line up on paper and steel, if not animals. A very small percentage of us (I'm assuming) from time to time line up on individuals who have rendered themselves into targets.

If you aren't doing your utmost to make sure that the aforementioned minority among us make it back home in one piece, you're part of the problem. Fuck that noise. Be part of the signal.

Whattttttttt?

Get yourself near an air conditioner and read this. Hopefully you dont find it offensive as is the general feeling amongst the liberals today.

Take a read on this and you will understand what I meant.......If.....

If - Poem by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream- -and not make dreams your master;
If you can think- -and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on! '

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings- -nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And- -which is more- -you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Get someone to explain it to you IF it doesnt make sense

Last edited:
I think someone is fucking up their wind call. Just sayin' ...

I think someone is fucking up their wind call. Just sayin' ...

Perhaps.

Maybe a smiley at the end of your post would have changed the context.

My point is that if you live and do things there comes a point in your life where you are faced with a situation that you really don't know what to do and no one around you has an idea what to do.

Doing nothing is not an option and if a decision is too be made you have to commit to it with full measure.

Some of the things I'm most proud of doing in my life were things that I was well over my head and ended up succeeding.

Its especially rewarding when someone more experienced thinks you can't do it and it gets done.

At those times you can't let others working with you know you are in over your head. You better look confident in your choice, and if your decision was made on best available information, confidence in your people, and a big dose of your gut instinct says it is right, it will be right.

That is when you better act like you know what your doing even if you don't.

Last edited:
Perhaps.

Maybe a smiley at the end of your post would have changed the context.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/PLCArZa.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Damn, that might be the best thing I have ever read on the hide.

You’re in a tough spot Frank. 'That Guy' telling you about his one time at band camp, and ultimately that you are wrong - is a paying customer. Your challenge is to politely, but effectively squelch That Guy before he runs the whole class off track. For the rest of us, when That Guy starts talking about something they obviously know little about, we have a choice - stop talking to That Guy; or ask him if he has any money? b/c you happen to know of a little spot with big winds that eddy - and for a few bucks the truth will be laid bare.

Reactions: ArmyJerry
Ive been shooting since i was 5 and im 32 now and i thought i knowledgeable, i found franks channel on youtube and realized i dont know shit. Ive been watching all the videos and will be subscribing to the online teaching tool. You always have know it alls but theres rarely a guy who can demonstrate his skill and not just talk shit. Im excited at this wealth of knowledge ive stumbled upon and look forward to learning more

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Its an addicting hobby/tol/ trade/ its just fun, and if you have the slightest mind that tilts toward engineering at all,its like golf, you compete against yourself until the big show, then you compete against yourself and the rest of the field.

Patience with the new people, be humble like me :)

Dam kids, I wish could afford the stuff I have now when I was 32.

Ive been shooting since i was 5 and im 32 now and i thought i knowledgeable, i found franks channel on youtube and realized i dont know shit. Ive been watching all the videos and will be subscribing to the online teaching tool. You always have know it alls but theres rarely a guy who can demonstrate his skill and not just talk shit. Im excited at this wealth of knowledge ive stumbled upon and look forward to learning more

There are three types of people out there...
The ones who know what they are doing - pay attention to them.
The ones who don't know what they are doing - help them learn to know.
And the most DANGEROUS ones are those who THINK they know what they are doing - avoid them at all costs.

I think I'm a solid number 2 (didn't intend the pun, but I'll take it):LOL:

I like learning and want to know more about rifles and scopes and everything used to shoot better , as well as all the opinions I can get in hopes I can spend my limited money smarter . the sport needs a lot of new blood to keep it alive without it it dies and that would be bad . I would like to thank frank and all those that make this site and video's possible as it is a great place to pick up idea's and learn about shooting . You all know a lot more about your guns than I do. On my own I could feel lost in all the names and brands . I also like to thank others all of them that take the time to put up video's with content with guns on the or in them whether It's just a funny video or reviews of products I may or may not be able to see . Its nice to see so many people out there who appear to care or care about being involved regardless of what others may think I appreciate all the positive publicity shooting can get especially while so many others are trying to destroy it .

Right an all respects, and I also agree with The German, "GBPSE".

I approach this from the other end, not seeking absolute perfection, but trying to find what benefit, if any, can be coaxed out of what the newer shooters can afford while starting on their way up the ladder.

I believe there's a place in the shooting sports for the starter rifle.

There's a lot that can be learned with a factory rifle and tier 2 optics; skills that can be learned before they are needed in order to justify the spendy-er purchases. If we all had to come up with the big bucks in order to enter these sports or start learning our skill sets, there'd be a whole lot fewer of us upon which to base our competitive programs.

When those skills are well and truly up and running, the same rifle can be upgraded to an intermediate status, according to frugal principles; and the tier 2 optic can be reallocated to something with a lesser status than the 'Money Shot' implement(s).

In my humble opinion, every bit of Frank's wisdom is the goal we are aiming for. My goal is to help pour the platform onto which the first steps are taken.

Humbly submitted for all our review.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulezoo
I learned that there were only FIVE Quigley Ford scopes in Frank's precision rifle 2 class in AK. And the rest were POS's. ?

One lesson I learned years ago is the more one learns, the more one realizes he doesn't know.