• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Don't underestimate the impact of stress!

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
A little history on my struggles with fitness. I used to be a hardcore lifter and martial artist. When I graduated high school I had a 28 inch waist and a 56 inch chest. I measured 72 inches around my shoulders and had 30 inch thighs and 18 1/2 inch biceps. At 5'9" I weighed 195 pounds with 5% bodyfat and this was all natural. I was blessed with great genes and worked hard for what I had.

I remained in pretty good shape until I broke my back twice in a year when I was 24. I became totally sedentary, put on 50 pounds, and lost any semblance of muscle tone. Chronic pain and deep muscle spasms prevented me from lifting, and depression kept me from caring.

Over the years, I have continued to gain weight, regardless of my dietary habits or my level of activity. I plateued at 285 pounds (although thankfully my frame is big enough that almost nobody believes I even went 250) . For the last four years I have sat at that level of morbid obesity whether I ate 1000, 2000, 3000, or 6000 calories a day.
mad.gif
During this time, I was pretty stressed, between my job, my surroundings, and my declining health (arthritis in about half my joints, fibromyalgia, torn rotator cuff, etc.).

Eight weeks ago, I asked for a demotion at work so that I could move into a position with a fixed schedule and have time for my wife, mother, and hobbies. I've lost 20 pounds. I haven't changed my eating habits. I haven't exercised more. I have simply reduced my stress levels.

My goal now is to combine my more relaxed lifestyle with some moderate resistance training. If I can keep from injuring myself, I feel like I may be able to accelerate the shedding of pounds and that in turn should help with my other issues. I've accepted that a 41 year old in terrible physical condition is unlikely to ever regain the kind of power, speed, and flexibility he enjoyed at 18, but I pray he can at least manage to fit into a pair of 32 inch jeans (and not cause others to instantly projectile vomite when going shirtless) at some point before croaking.
grin.gif

Re: Don't underestimate the impact of stress!

Stick to it and you will reach your goal. Have as litte stress as possible, that makes life a lot better. Hang in there and good luck.

Along the same lines, anti-depressants influence your reaction to "stress", as do benzodiazapines. At one point the, then hands down, leader in sports nutrition released a supplement to increase the general function of your neurotransmitters. One of the ingredients was a natural SSRI (anti-depressant), for good reason.

Can yoga, zen, learning to confront death help too? It's all the same man. Preventing a negative hormonal reaction to a stressfull environment is what's key. The actual environment is irrellevant, but the response matters. Some people can deal with unimaginable stress every day and some are stuck in their house having agoraphobic panic attacks. A $100 a month on a class or a medication can have a broader impact than just upping your bench or decreasing your waist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BugSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Preventing a negative hormonal reaction to a stressfull environment is what's key. The actual environment is irrellevant, but the response matters. Some people can deal with unimaginable stress every day and some are stuck in their house having agoraphobic panic attacks. A $100 a month on a class or a medication can have a broader impact than just upping your bench or decreasing your waist. </div></div>

Amen to that. Unfortunately for me, I'm a Typa A all the way...everything bothers me!
blush.gif
I <span style="font-style: italic">am</span> working on it and the short-term results have been a pleasant surprise, which makes it easier to relax, which should yield even better results, which should make it easier to relax, which should yield yet better results...wait...I'm seeing a trend here...

Stress: Ruins your life, too.

I've been having trouble at work lately, it's a very fast-paced environment and I'm not keeping up any more. It's not physical, it's mental, and a week ago my coworker and my boss seperately told me that I'm not able to do my job the way I used to. I mentioned it to a friend that night and he said that I am repeating myself frequently also. I was very sick for nearly 5 months this spring (missed the Oregon Sniper Shoot, dammit) and fear I may have fried something cerebral. Shoulda stayed home a week and gotten over it, but we don't have sick days.
Went to the doctor last week and he's thinking possible sleep apnea, but is more concerned about job stress. I work 10-12 hours a day, it's noisy, it's very very busy, we don't get breaks and never sit down. I've been in it 'for the money' but last week realized it's not worth it any more, maybe never was. I won't be able to replace the income, but compared to people that only work 40 hours a week I've put in a full career at 53. Current economy won't allow retirement yet either.
SO: I'm pulling the plug shortly. I'm selling a a NightForce and a Leupold to pay off my last credit card, might even have to sell the KTM 990 too.

Moral of the story- Money ain't everything. I'm sad that it took me this long to figure it out. I've got no wife or family, that could be a result of my job or my childhood, which had some early trauma. I'll never know, but can't help the feeling that the extra 20+ hours a week I've put in over the last 20 years may have contributed.

To anybody else in my situation, but younger: Get out now. Spend time with family while you can. Build one if you don't have one. My neighbor works 40 hours a week, doesn't have much money, but he's home every afternoon with the wife and kids. What's that worth? How's his quality of life compared to mine, a lot more income but few friends and no family?

1911fan

EDIT: After posting that I was reading a magazine, which had an excerpt from "Stress Less: The New Science That Shows Women How to Rejuvenate the Body and Mind". Here it is:
"Repeated stress frazzles us. It makes us snap at our partners and kids- even growl at the dog. It keeps us awake at night and clouds our professional judgement. We've known for years that it puts us at greater risk for any number of diseases. What we didn't know until now was that it actually physically ages us- allthe way down to the DNA in our cells... Chronic stress literally gnaws on our DNA- it's tips, or 'telomeres', to be precise- speeding up the rate at which our cells age by an alarming ten years or more."

Re: Stress: Ruins your life, too.

Stress is a major problem.
Most all weight lifters use pure L-Glutimine 2 to 4 times a day to help combat stress related problems.
It may help.

I might be nuts, but I think I'm going to accept a job offer that pays about 30-35% less than I make now.... and offers little or no stress, involves something I like to do, and 20 hour less per week.
Maybe I'm not nuts.

1911fan

1911fan, that sounds like a winner... jump on it before its gone.

Noah, what part of WY are you in? Just curious.

The first part of your story reminds me of what happened to me after I hurt my back in 2008 (disc injury), though on a smaller scale than your situation. When you're not moving (especially due to pain), it is so easy for everything in life (including weight) to pile up isn't it?

I was 52 when I retired from a high-pay, high stress corporate job. I could think of better ways to spend my time than sitting in front of a computer 13 or 14 hours a day.

One's priorities are reflected in what one does. It can be useful to spend some time thinking about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One's priorities are reflected in what one does. It can be useful to spend some time thinking about that.</div></div>Especially since life doesn't come with a money-back guarantee.

A friend of mine, a well-known attorney who loves his job, recently had a heart attack while performing a deposition. He had a quadruple bypass that night. He was 61 years old. Thing is, he's five foot seven, one hundred and sixty pounds and a very fit league hockey player.

Five weeks weeks after the surgery I watched him make an argument at the court of appeals. He called me to ask if I was coming and told me he wouldn't miss it for the world. In the courtroom, when he got up to the podium to speak, one of the panel judges said: "Before you begin, I just want to say for the record, First, it's good to see you back; and Second, you're nuts."

He won the case.

Has stress shortened his life? Maybe. But he loves what he does. Which, for some people, is what matters most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might be nuts, but I think I'm going to accept a job offer that pays about 30-35% less than I make now.... and offers little or no stress, involves something I like to do, and 20 hour less per week.
Maybe I'm not nuts.

1911fan </div></div>
yeah I am in the same boat as you are.

I'm 25 and work standard 40hr weeks with a very predictable schedule and little stress. Although I have a great job that pays me well, I realize that I have to work my way up over the years.

Before graduating from college, I worked 6 years at a "big box" retail store. Open on Christmas, Thanksgiving, the works. It had good opportunity for me to move up to management (equaling higher pay) very quickly. I even contemplated not finishing college.

Luckily, I came to my senses after having missed all 6 Christmas' in a row due to my job. I finished my degree and took that path and never looked back.

Sometimes you pay later on for the "get rich quick" jobs.

This is a good thread!

Good for you Noah and 1911. You are surely over the worst and have a tonne of support here. It sounds like you've both got it figured better than the rest of us who haven't the balls to admit it.

I quit my 40 hr. a week job 12 years ago and went out on my own. I am a 46 year old painting contractor. My life is much less sressful working for myself than it ever was working for others. I get to do things my way and can schedule the job to allow me to get the details just so. I still have stress trying to make people happy and this economy has made keeping the roof over our heads much harder, but I would not give it up for the 9 to 5. I know things are better at home when my wife finnaly fessed up that she was ready to leave me. Getting myself all worked up trying to get other peoples jobs done on time while they went on vacation after vacation was just not worth it. If your going to bust your ass do it for the people who matter most in your life, and folks your employer really dont give a shit about you.

Get back to the dojo, even if slow at first.

Being laid off has been a blessing in disguise - I'vel ost 10lbs, down to 165...zero fat, all muscle.

I'm looking at a job, local LE techs upport handling the laptops in the cars and fire trucks. But it's county and they are kind of funny about laying off, a 50% pay cut would pay less after child support than unemployment does....