• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Don't understand, Chassis on my .204 Tikka

texasrimfirenut

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2020
East Texas
Gentlemen,

I am a bit of a novice at this. Much more of a rimfire guy.

I would like to put my Tikka .204 into a chassis. I mainly use this gun for varmint hunting but enjoy shooting it on the bench as well.

I was looking at the Orynx chassis and it seems it would fit but I don't understand the magazine. It says I need an AICS magazine. I have searched for AICS magazine for .204 caliber and find nothing. Do they exist? Also would there be any other parts needed to convert this to AICS if I am able to find a magazine for it?

Thanks for any help and sorry for my ignorance.

You may need to tweek the feed lips a bit due to the slightly longer case length and shoulder angle.
You may want to call MDT and talk to them about it first, some mags feed cases with different geometries better than others.

Reactions: texasrimfirenut
Thanks gentlemen. I will give them a call just to double check.

Do I need any other parts or is it just the magazine?

Okay, I am really going to show my ignorance here. Go ahead and giggle, lol, as I am a humorous guy but is my Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor a short or long action?

Hey at least I knew the .204 was short action, lol.

It’s a short action. All Tikkas are long actions technically and just have different magazines and bolt stops.

So if I get a chassis for the Tikka I need to still get the short action one?

Thanks for the help!
No problem! You should get the short action model because the mag wells will be different sizes. I’m quite certain the bolt stop will prevent the bolt from picking up rounds from long action magazines

Okay, I am really going to show my ignorance here. Go ahead and giggle, lol, as I am a humorous guy but is my Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor a short or long action?

Hey at least I knew the .204 was short action, lol.
The 6.5 creed requires a bolt a .473” diameter bolt face.

The 204 ruger is a .384” diameter bolt face.

Though the action length is the same short action (and tikkas are actually all long action with only the factory mags and the bolt stop as the only distinction) your bolt will not be compatible with the 204 ruger cartridge.