• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft doomsday preppers

pistolpacknpete

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2012
was watching doomsday preppers and thought it was kind of interesting what some people do to survive if shit hits the fan. just wondering if anyone here is "prepping"

Re: doomsday preppers

6 or 7 years ago we went through an ice storm here that dropped a 100 foot oak tree on my house and knocked power out throughout the region for several days.

While not a "doomsday" prepper. The fact that my family and I had practiced what to do if something bad happened (fire, tornado etc.) and had things like light sticks and first aid equipment handy (we also have at least a week's worth of food and water, a generator and lots of "roughing it" camping gear) made the situation less scary and easier to deal with.

Those people are pretty extreme.. I like to keep some extra gear on hand but not anywhere near their level.

Those who don't prepare for the unknown/unexpected, are known as Sheep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmur817</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those people are pretty extreme.. I like to keep some extra gear on hand but not anywhere near their level. </div></div>

Same here, and living in South Louisiana hurricanes will make you prepare.

I guess you can say I'm some sort of prepper.

During the fire season I keep my camping/horse trailer stocked up. Every now and then fires come down this canyon and we are told to evacuate. So I load up the horses and head for the Fair Grounds in town.

We get quite a cummunity set up of evacuatees and have a good time waiting for the smoke to clear.

Course if we don't have to evacuate I'm all ready to go fishing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those who don't prepare for the unknown/unexpected, are known as Sheep.

</div></div>

Whut?

"We" will always have Walmart, Starbucks, Taco Bell, and the Seven Eleven.....right?

Surely you jest.............

+1 on what Tactical said.

for most 'prepping' is just how they have always lived.

i think most rural folks tend to have been born with the 'prepper' mindset and only since 'prepping' has spread to suburban and urban folks has the practice of being self dependent came into a distinct category known as 'prepping.'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Whut?

"We" will always have Walmart, Starbucks, Taco Bell, and the Seven Eleven.....right?

Surely you jest............. </div></div>
You may be correct, because they always seem to come up with cardboard and a sharpie from somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poorboyshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If u have kids u will always be a prepper,maybe not on there scale but i wont see my kids go hungry </div></div>

^^This. I never bought into it until I had kids. I'm not nearly as advanced as some of these people but I've done a little prep'n of my own.

I think this show is stupid as hell. Not only does it shine a distasteful light on people who were naive enough to volunteer for it but it also makes those who prep look like idiots thereby forcing them to keep their prepping on the 'down-low'.

I hope I'm not the only person that could not stop laughing for the 5 minutes I watched this garbage, there was a guy with a box of glass and some knives that looked like they came from the mordor home shopping network collection, and a guy who shot his own pinky off with his blinged out 22 while they were recording the show. Also, I think the same guy was really excited because he invented "the ultimate survival tool" which was basically a shovel, or a really big e-tool. Only thing I thought when I watched that show was wow I bet it would be easy to take these guys' food.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on what Tactical said.

for most 'prepping' is just how they have always lived.

i think most rural folks tend to have been born with the 'prepper' mindset and only since 'prepping' has spread to suburban and urban folks has the practice of being self dependent came into a distinct category known as 'prepping.' </div></div>

Yep, I was a prepper WAY before prepping was cool......country born, country raised, country still.

As a kid, mom would put up hundreds of quarts of beans, tomatoes, corn, squash, beets, carrots, pickles, potatoes, pork, beef, and venison....that pressure canner would run day and night for months. I still have it, and use it....with many of the same quart jars that fed us 40 years ago.

It's just how we got by back then, and we were more the better for it. Winter meant needing a full woodshed by October 1st at the latest, which was to the tune of about 30 heaping pickup loads give or take, which we went to the woods up on the mountain and cut/hauled/split it ourselves....we never bought a stick of firewood from anyone, and we didn't burn much fuel oil either. Still go by that method now. Free heat aside from a little saw gas and sweat.

If something was broke, we fixed it....there wasn't any taking something somewhere for repair, or God forbid buy a new one. This one is just fine, still, we just gotta fix it. If we did have to buy something the closest thing we had to Walmart was the Mongomery Wards catalog that came in the mail, four times a year....if we wanted something we wrote a check, sent an order form in the mail....and a couple weeks later the stuff would come....in the mail.

Anything we were forced to buy in town because we couldn't make it or Wards didn't carry it, mom and dad would buy in bulk, just to get the better price. This whole prepping thing has been done for generations and it was just called Everyday Life. My kids won't grow up being immune to knowing how to kill it and grow it, and get by with little or nothing. I think the whole Hollywood interest in this stuff via "reality TV" has taking things over the cliff with the nut jobs they find, but it's definately a reflection on these interesting times we are living in.

Again, one with a family, I'll be damned if my kids will ever suffer for my ignorance or laziness, especially considering where we are geographically... Nebraska has now officially had a tornado in every month of the year. Some guys might wanna check out WhenSHTF.com, been a member there for a while and they have some awesome contributors and articles on things like solar and wind power, food storage, and medical tips all the way to homemade squirrel cage fans and faraday cages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those who don't prepare for the unknown/unexpected, are known as Sheep.

</div></div>

That term has been beaten to the ground so badly it ha no meaning anymore.

I can understand having a plan, a supply of food and water with other supplies. In fact all aspects of prepping (another word that is quickly getting worn out) have their uses, and you are foolish to dismiss its importance. There is no way you should be able to rely on services that you can provide for yourself. Fix your own car, sew your own pants, cook your own food....ect. I wouldnt chastize someone for not doing it, thats a personal choice, but I am not going to be inviting those who fail to prepare to share my food.

The part that makes me shake my head, the reasons that drive the people in this show. It from "probably isn't gonna happen" to "Holy fuck, what are you smoking?" A NY fireman concerned about Yellowstone erupting, the poles shifting, 2012 stuff, I mean really? I could see floods, perhaps worse economic conditions, hell I think the odds of seeing the Chinese or N. Koreans wash up on our beaches is more probable. You really need to go way outside the box to come up with some sort of E.L.E.

Hey it comes to this.

I live in Earth Quake Country and have lived through many Quakes, Big Assed Fires and other disasters.

One thing is plain

You have to protect and save yourself.

You may have a month to feed and house yourself after something bad.

When things get tough and free cheese stops some folks will go looking for others cheese to eat. You will have to defend your cheese.

I dont understand why it makes sense to go on that show and advertise to all that know you that you are prepaired in the event others are not. Doesnt that make you and instant target for victimization in the even others do not have the same life saving necessities? If I were making preparations, I would keep it to myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Girl4Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont understand why it makes sense to go on that show and advertise to all that know you that you are prepaired in the event others are not. Doesnt that make you and instant target for victimization in the even others do not have the same life saving necessities? If I were making preparations, I would keep it to myself. </div></div>

That is because you are smarter than those folks. Besides as pointed out a few of them have a few bricks missing.

Now the guy who teaches survival got a huge amount of free press and will busy for many years to come, so I understand why he did it but agree best to be quiet about what, when and where

I watch the show for potential ideas. I dont think the Gov is out to get me or anything extreme I just think shit goes wrong and best to be ready

did you guys see the one episode with the short fat dude who is scared of an "EMP"? I couldn't believe it! I told my wife, "this dude is afraid of a fucking EMP?! He's so fat and out of shape, he needs to be afraid of walking too fast, fuck an EMP!" The same with the lard ass "gourmet" cook lady. The funniest part about that were the dipshits taking self-defense tips from her...that's who I'd be learning Ass-Kicking 101 from! Seriously, you can't make this shit up!

Sometimes I question who the "zombies" really are...

I think it's funny how these preppers work so hard trying to make their stuff as discrete as possible, only to go on the show and tell everyone what they have and where they are located.

I am not a doomsday prepper and it isn't a bad idea for the "what if" scenario but I don't think it's a good idea for those people to publicly announce all their information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those who don't prepare for the unknown/unexpected, are known as Sheep.

</div></div> That term has been beaten to the ground so badly it ha no meaning anymore. </div></div>
Until you say, "Don't show up expecting a open house like the rest of the sheep" to folks you have known for many, many, years. The amount of people that think they can mooch w/o a proven set of basic life sustaining skills, or a set of stores, grows every day.
The vast majority think if it all goes to shit they will be taken care of by others,... they don't have a clue as to how <span style="font-weight: bold">Correct</span> they are.

I was taught as I grew up to never wait or rely on others to do anything I could learn to do for myself, that has payed off very well.
Last year during the tornadoes many received a wake up call, but as soon as the power was back on, an skys cleared, they went back to their old ways.
The same folks that begged for help, an said never again, seem to have money again for all the toys, but never spent a cent on/for the next event.

Sheep do, what sheep do, always have, always will, but the heart breaking part,... Children paying for stupid they have/had no control over.

If you've never seen this classic Twilight Zone episode, "The Shelter," it's available on Youtube and is worth watching. A little dated. But the dynamics are very real.

First rule? Don't tell anyone. The Prepper show has people blabbing all the time. And their so-called "experts" often say "involve neighbors and friends in your planning."

Yeah, right, there's always (at least) one sociopath among them who will rape pillage and plunder despite your best plans. Plan for them too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shelter_(The_Twilight_Zone)

Tactical has many good points.

3 years ago (think about it). I started a hard look at things. Began conversations with my wife. She agreed and together we grab a few things here and there. Have a mobile water filtration system plenty of mountain house (10 lb cans). You just never know.

Paranoid? mebby lil. Ready for the unexpected. Yup.

So what if people know we are prepared for an emergency. I'd only worry about that if I was in a very developed area.

Out here I can see you inbound from a long way out. No worries for my family.

No society has ever survived what the US is going through. Ever. Far back as the Romans...

Just keep it to yourself little by little and you'd be amazed how well prepared you become.

jus sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: worldhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not prepping…..I am preparing to rob the idiots on the "preppers" show if and when $hit hits the fan </div></div>

And that statement is exactly what the immediate problem will be, too many idiots thinking that well screw law and order and civilization, I stocked up on guns and ammo & bad ass attitude and all this tactical gear and I'll just go get everything I need for my family by force.

Then you go out on your plans to rob steal and kill to get what you need and find out unfortunately way too many others have the same idea, so now you are fighting with a bunch of others to try to pillage the same stuff.

Then in addition you discount the fact the people who actually prepared for this with goods to sustain themselves may also have thought a bit about your plans and may have a few surprises for you along the way. Your tacticool "Battle Rifle" won't help you much when half your leg is torn off by a bear trap circa 500 B.C. technology.

It's one of my pet peeves about people preparing for bad times, it seems too many are just itching to turn into crazy looting outlaws and act like savages that got guns.

Not to mention they rarely have a good plan to get places if roads are not passible and gas is not available at the local filling station.

I expect that if and when the bad times come, a lot of tactical wanabees will find themselves dead well short of their intended looting and plundering targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: worldhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not prepping…..I am preparing to rob the idiots on the "preppers" show if and when $hit hits the fan </div></div>

Really? I hope you end up with an extra eyeball in the process.

You all need to lighten up and take a deep breath. Having a sense of humor will take you a long way. As far as your reference to a tacticool rifle, I am unsure if it is aimed at me or the idiots on the show.

Anyway, W54 since you know so much about me and my tacticool "battle rifle" I will have no problem walking into your bear trap circa 500 B.C technology. As a matter of fact, I may do a cool ninja roll into it - I learned how to do this watching "Act of Valor".

W54, on to a more serious note, I want to help prepare you for the looting the masses. Click on the below link and imagine you, the prepper, are one of the mammals on the receiving end of this mob of tacticool heathens. I hope you have plenty of bear traps, circa 500 B.C technology. Please do not take this lightly, this is a serious case study - AAR to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkN6C1ur1t8

Cheers,

C-

You all need to lighten up and take a deep breath. Having a sense of humor will take you a long way. As far as your reference to a tacticool rifle, I am unsure if it is aimed at me or the idiots on the show.

Anyway, W54 since you know so much about me and my tacticool "battle rifle" I will have no problem walking into your bear trap circa 500 B.C technology. As a matter of fact, I may do a cool ninja roll into it - I learned how to do this watching "Act of Valor".

W54, on to a more serious note, I want to help prepare you for the looting the masses. Click on the below link and imagine you, the prepper, are one of the mammals on the receiving end of this mob of tacticool heathens. I hope you have plenty of bear traps, circa 500 B.C technology. Please do not take this lightly, this is a serious case study - AAR to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkN6C1ur1t8

Cheers,

So that appears to be a hunting documentary showing that 5000+ year old hunting methods still work very well when you take a whole tribe or two out to hunt down large game, much as ancient primatives used to do with Mammoths and other such game?

Being chased by a tribe or two through brush country = low survival rate.

Being setup in a well defended refuge with lots of traps that don't require you to man them, planned defenses & intelligent people = high survival rate up to a certain point.

If you read enough threads you will see over and over people saying (hopefully just joking and making fun, but you never know) similar things about getting what they need by force.

What would you prep for if you ARE in Alaska.?
Earthquakes
140 inches of Snow
90day growing season.
Volcanoes
Sub Zero temperatures.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcsparky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you prep for if you ARE in Alaska.?
Earthquakes
140 inches of Snow
90day growing season.
Volcanoes
Sub Zero temperatures.? </div></div>

Vegetables and heat.
Too much protein and no vegetables is a bad thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for fun. Feedback appreciated.

Don't think "bug out," think "root right in."

http://www.scribd.com/norm_balog/d/77847015-Zombie-Attack-Plan </div></div>

Staying put is the plan.. unless you are in a area that's got to many idiots around ya.

I've watched the show, surprised at how dumb some of them really are.
Prepping is not dumb, their mentality is... some.
I can understand having extra commodities needed to survive but to completely nearly cut yourself off from society is downright stupid. If shit does hit the fan (Jericho style, watch the series) then you have to be out and about and learn to adapt until bigger help comes along. I hardly doubt shit will be so bad we are not going to overcome as a whole.
Some of those 'preppers' are saving up their water and food to last for a year or so, so what happens after they run out? Do they think they are going to go out to the local Walmart and restock once again? Gotta learn to adapt and do it quick to survive. Gotta get things, by barter or force, you choose. Those people are going to stay in their holes for however long and then when they finally come out, they are going to be so out of the loop, they are not going to survive.
If shit does hit the fan to that point, I fear for us that have young kids, especially me with 2 baby girls but believe me I won't let them suffer nor will I let them be tormented by others.
Just gotta learn to survive in our new enviroments.

I was living in AK when Y2K rolled around. I worked with some pretty high up IT individuals at the University who had reassured me that nothing was really going to happen so we hadn't really done any major prepping. But I do have to admit that I was awake at midnight watching the lights across the city as the clock ticked over since it was -45 outside. I was very aware of the fact that if the worst did happen things would get real bad, real quick at those temps.

The wife and I do some basic prepping, mostly with bug-out in mind for disasters and such. I would not go on TV and show the world my preps without having a lot of ammo to fight of that audience when it did get bad.

Charlie

The thing is, if anyone knows you are prepping you are a target...

y2k.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you prep for if you ARE in Alaska.?</div></div>

Been there, done that.

First two years I lived in Alaska was a small 12 X 18 cabin 3 miles north of Healy. No electricity or running water. Got laid off in the winter.

I fed my family, for the most part with a Savage 24 D 22/410 over/under.

Ptargamin and Show Shoe Hairs, supplemented with small trout. Contary to what many believe, you can pretty much find open, fast moving water at sub zero temps.

Also my father gave me a Bow and arrow fleshing materials. I can't hit the ground with a bow, but I made a few arrows I sold for enough to buy flour and salt.

I also moved to Alaska with a supply of powder and bullets, sold a few reloads.

It's not about big guns, the 22/410 was a life saver.

I'll see if I can find a picture of my cabin and scan it.

As far as now, I live 10 miles from town, I'm not going anywhere except in the fire conditions I mentioned in an earlier post.

Now as to "veggies"; Yeap you need them, probably more in the winter then the summer (I'm not a nutritist so don't take my word on that).

While in the AK NG I spent several years as the XO (St Lawrence Island) and CO (Shishmaref} Eskimo NG Companies.

I spent a lot of time going out with these guys in their hunting and food gathering.

Just about any animal you kill eats veggies, and the contents of their stomack containes these veggies. Boil the contents up with your fish or chunks of rabbits and you take care of your veggie's in the winter problem.

People look and plains or froozen tundra and see nothing, but look closer, its a vertual grocery store.

When people think of doomsday survial they often think of needing big guns, big animals and conventional food.

If I was to have to live in such conditions, I'd take the sub zero temps over a warmer climent any time.

I always keep enough on hand for two weeks it should take to get power restored if we got a direct hit from a hurricane. What I like about the show is that no matter how far out the person's reason is, they'll generally say involve your neighbors, community.

In other words, network, talk about it with others. Which might be a good idea if some sheepdogs could convince all the sheeple to NOT count on the gubment to come save them, like after Katrina. Of course, the Feds should have expected some of what they got. If you allow people to "warehouse" themselves while waiting on a check all the time, do you think they won't be looking for that check the day after disaster?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just about any animal you kill eats veggies, and the contents of their stomack containes these veggies. Boil the contents up with your fish or chunks of rabbits and you take care of your veggie's in the winter problem. </div></div>

It's going to have to get real bad before you catch me doing that. Very good idea, I didn't even think of doing that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcsparky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you prep for if you ARE in Alaska.?
Earthquakes
140 inches of Snow
90day growing season.
Volcanoes
Sub Zero temperatures.? </div></div>

Firewood, and lots of it.
Veggies - you may only get 90 days but that's 90 days of 22hr sunlight - lentils (Beans and the sort) grow EXTREMELY well up there, some veggies do not....and you'd need to can food for that.

You can hunt rabbit up there, I went hunting every weekend and we had rabbit 2-3 days a week (Shake-n-bake! Yum!).....Arctic Snowshoe hare's are HUGE...

Not to mention Ptarmigan, grouse, moose, deer, elk, caribou..salmon...trout, grayling (Trout) and Burbout - YUM!!!!!! you can get 30 a day on those legally I believe or use 30 hooks, I forget, they are a river bottom fish that taste like imitation crab meat.

Alaska is definitely the place to be to survive, if you have the elevation to get away from possible tsnumai's and volcano's.

My wife and I watch that show...mostly to laugh at the crazy people. But there are good points, many that it brings up conversation about what we would do and how we would do it if needed.

I have been "prepping" since I was a little kid. I grew up in the country doing what country kids do. My wife grew up in town and when we started dating she didnt know people did the type of things that were just daily chores for my brother and I. Hunting, fishing, trapping, processing game animals, cutting wood, back country camping, daily/month things for me growing up. My wife is coming around since she does all the shopping, getting extra supplies to stock pile when she finds a sale is normal now.

</div></div>
when you figure out any recipes for these "sheep" to get them to not taste like "sheep" i would be much obliged.

i was planning on just eating HUFU but why not go for the real thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oosickness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those who don't prepare for the unknown/unexpected, are known as Sheep.

</div></div>
when you figure out any recipes for these "sheep" to get them to not taste like "sheep" i would be much obliged.
</div></div>

In the past some tribes in Africa referred to humans as 'long pig' because of the similarity in taste/texture/color/etc.. So prep is on par with any run of the mill pork chop.

Actually, in gumbo if you per-bake a white ass, then add Louisiana hot sauce, it's more like lamb that has been ed-boned an sauteed. Depending somewhat on the amount of hot sauce used it's about 35 calories an 1 gram of fat, per serving. Add heart an liver to your liking, with a touch of re-fried brain,... grab a leaded bud, or cola of your choice, kick back an enjoy swamp people. Other tasty delights abound, Yum-Yum. This I have listed in my #7 Soy-lent book as, Tight'y White'y Gumbo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey it comes to this.

I live in Earth Quake Country and have lived through many Quakes, Big Assed Fires and other disasters.

One thing is plain

You have to protect and save yourself.

You may have a month to feed and house yourself after something bad.

When things get tough and free cheese stops some folks will go looking for others cheese to eat. You will have to defend your cheese.</div></div>

+1 I agree 100%. I grew up in L.A. and we had quake drills at school twice a year. Not having provisions and a plan is exposing yourself to risk. There are 10 million people in the L.A. area. I'm willing to guess the vast majority do not have their shit together. If the "Big One" hits things will get very interesting here.

I suspect the show has an agenda to make preppers look like extremists.

Knowing folks are always trying to improve their readiness, especially those who understand blizzards, tornadoes, floods, hurricanes.......

I am a novice but trying to be ready to care for the family if needed and teach them some self-reliance as a recent hurrican should have taught us how well the feds can handle things when the chips are down.