• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Door breeching

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
im not playing Rambo or super swat i just wanted to see how many have used a shotgun in a simulated door breaching

im looking at getting a 870 and possibly getting doing a 14.5 SBS, what is the purpose of these breaching barrels as opposed to a normal shotgun barrel with the appropriate ammo for blowing out locks at close range?

this is curiosity more than anything for me as im trying to reason what these are used for

http://www.ironridgeguns.com/ss/ss.htm

Re: Door breeching

ive used a standard mossberg 500 to breech locks and hinges in the real world. i am pretty sure all it had was the standard barrel, but it did the job quite well. the only downfall i know of (never happened to me but to two guys i know) was that on separate occasions, they would get hit by a ricochet from the shotty. i dont know why, but it may have been due to heavy duty steel or just bad luck

Im not a door kicker. But..... The young guns
at my dept. have special barrels on their 870s
with an attachment that looks like a compensator.
I believe it directs the blast in a safe direction.
FWIW

We use standard Rem barrels cut down to around 10" for portability. No problems with them in the standard configuration, the devices in the link you posted would allow the user to "dig in" to the target surface rather than just holding the muzzle a few inches from the surface. I can see the potential benefit but it's not a requirement.

I am prety sure they use a special choke tube adapter that has threads for the inside of the barrel and then for the breacher to attach too. A company named Royal XXX made these for benelli's for several years looks like a knock off of those.

Be on the safe side and find a standoff device for it....it looks like the compensator being spoke of above. Its designed to keepthe barrel from being shoved against the object being fired upon and causing that big "uh-oh" when pulling te trigger. You can make a cheap homemade standoff with tape and a popsicle stick....it will work with any shotgun.

B.

All it does is give a set distance off the barrel so when you do a figure eight,the lead does not fly back to the shooter.

They also make doing a breach much faster. I have seen doors take more than 2 shots per lock before. Due to the operators lack of hitting the lock.

John

Short barrels help portability, that is all. If you are using frangibles, most any barrel will do. You will get a little backsplatter, particularly with a wood door on a metal frame whether you have a standoff device or not. I found I liked the standoff device mostly for the teeth that let you set it in the door. Without them, you can slip down as you put forward pressure on the gun. Tends to send shots below the lock. My initial ballistic breaching training we did with a regular duty shotgun and hattan (frangible) rounds. No problems at all. Now, I have not done much breaching with tac buck or non frangibles.....just during training as I am not our breacher. I have seen active shooter classes teach ballistic breaching with a patrol shotgun, so the use is spreading. The key is positioning and shot direction.

FWIW, some assembly required, batteries not included, not all people qualify for this rate, your mileage may vary, not valid in NY,CA,NJ.....etc

Sean

I don't know if it works but I like this one a buddy emailed me
smile.gif

Viewtopic-JustgotmyNewDoorbreacher-.jpg

in my limited experience,
make sure ur using frangible ammo or special breaching rounds.
Trust me, you don't want to shoot at a door and then have a piece of buckshot lodged into your leg or someplace worse.

When shooting a metal door, shoot straight into the bolts. If shooting at a wooden door, shoot angled into the frame to minimize over penetration. Remember, your shooting at the bolts and not the damn lock itself. (dont ask)

and remember...

once the door is breached you have rear security....
AND THAT DOES NOT MEAN TO WANG CHUNG YOUR ASS TO THE BACK OF THE HOUSE!!!... Dont ask!