• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dope card help for dope's........no seriously..........

rookie101

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2013
klamath falls oregon
I shot my first long range match today. It was six hundred yards at the longest. It was lots of fun and i did about how i expected. Not great, not terrible. The course of fire went something like this:

Cold bore shot @ 50 yds. 1 1/2 inch circle.
Know your limits challenge: 1 1/2 circle, 1 inch circle, 3/4 inch circle, 1/2 inch circle. Each circle represented points. largest, 5, next 10, next smallest 15, Etc. One miss eliminated all points from this string. No failure to engage, only failure to neutralize, heavily penalized (sorry terminology from pistol shooting, not sure if it's the same).
Gravy: Shoot the letters that make up gravy in about a fourteen point font in a grid of letters about ten letters by five. Five shots don't remember time. 2 points per letter, penalized two points for wrong letter. letter's about 1/2 inch apart.
300 yard turkey: 30 seconds to shoot an eight inch plate at three hundred, rifle supported, rear elbow unsupported, off a homemade saddle, or a rope suspended from the rafters.
600 yard string. 1. ipsc steel silhouette, 2. eight inch plate. 3. eight inch plate 4. ipsc steel silhouette. Course of fire targets 1,2,3,4,3,2,1,2,3,4 for a ten round string, two minutes.

Here is the question: I zero my rifle at two hundred yards. According to the dope sheet at fifty yards I should be about 1.8 moa low (dope sheet provided by the fella' I bought the rifle from, has proved accurate). R.O. says to aim about 1 inch high, which I try at cold bore shot. Missed 1 1/2 cold bore by about 1/64" 12 o'clock. Did very well on the rest of the 50 yards by holding dead on with no turret adjustments. Is my dope card wrong?

As LL said in the posts that caused the creation of stupid marksmanship questions, I think I just answered myself. Need to verify my own dope, don't I? It was perfect for everything else, in case you're wondering. I missed the turkey and had five out of ten at 600 which was a null score. Still a lot of fun. Spelled "gra"

Need to verify my own dope, don't I?

yes. I personally never trust someone else dope card. The best way for me is to just shoot my rifle, learn and know what my rifle does, and make my own. You can make one very easy using JBM software and then laminate it yourself if you want. works flawless.

Congrats on your first match! I have never shot in any type of match myself, but I met a Forum member from here at my local range yesterday just by chance and he shoots all kinds of matched. After telling me about all of the things they do I'm thinking I may have to try one.