• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dope inputs ahead of hunt

V

Vandy321

I no longer live where I hunt. I carry a weather meter on hunts and use that data for real time inputs into my ballistic app, specifically DA/Pressure.

I also typically print out a paper dope card and tape it based off the current/expected conditions.

Question is, for planning ahead without actual data (only expected temps and known elevation) what do I use for DA/Pressure? I could default to 2992, but high pressure is forecasted for later in the week. Temps 4-30F, elev 7500-8500.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Also, 4dof is not leading for me on airplane mode or no cell service...I'm looking at strelok or AB instead as I don't have cell coverage on the hunt. Do either of those work offline?

Reactions: 338dude
I’ll go ahead and state the obvious and please realize I’m in same situation as you and pretty much have to travel to hunt.

The best thing you can do is HUNT harder and get as close as you can before you pull the trigger. I’ve found that under 400 yards, the differences in temp, pressure, and altitude do not make enough difference to place your shot outside the kill zone on big game as long as you have a accurate rifle, a steady enough shooting position, and good shooting skills. Over 400 yards and yes, you need to start considering accurate up to date atmospheric conditions and be confident the data your app spits out is correct.

I would use a app that works with no cell coverage and I would want to have tested that app to make certain it’s data is accurate when conditions change.

Personally, I just make sure I’m under 400 yards and I don’t worry about it. I would guess 75% of what I’ve shot over the years has been 100 yards or less, even when I lived and hunted in Idaho.

Good luck on your hunt!!

I’ll go ahead and state the obvious and please realize I’m in same situation as you and pretty much have to travel to hunt.

The best thing you can do is HUNT harder and get as close as you can before you pull the trigger. I’ve found that under 400 yards, the differences in temp, pressure, and altitude do not make enough difference to place your shot outside the kill zone on big game as long as you have a accurate rifle, a steady enough shooting position, and good shooting skills. Over 400 yards and yes, you need to start considering accurate up to date atmospheric conditions and be confident the data your app spits out is correct.

I would use a app that works with no cell coverage and I would want to have tested that app to make certain it’s data is accurate when conditions change.

Personally, I just make sure I’m under 400 yards and I don’t worry about it. I would guess 75% of what I’ve shot over the years has been 100 yards or less, even when I lived and hunted in Idaho.

Good luck on your hunt!!
Agree, don't strive for longer shots, but sometimes that's all that presents. 515 last year, herd got spooked out of some timber by hunters and was on a slow walk/stop/walk pace, sometimes you have to take what you can.

I'd like to run the best dope I can prior to leaving and hope to just lean on the paper chart ony stock, highs of 25 deg next week and snow, would prefer not to he screwing with my phone last minute.

May just use known elevation and expected daytime baro

Zero at 100 yards and then train to be "100 yard hunter"...
I have many photos of deer grazing at my place with old wounds, bullet tracks and missing hoof's...
Give it some thought.

Reactions: brianf
Zero at 100 yards and then train to be "100 yard hunter"...
I have many photos of deer grazing at my place with old wounds, bullet tracks and missing hoof's...
Give it some thought

Lots of empty freezers if you only hunt 100 yards and in out west...speaking from experience as a bowhunter as well. Getting inside of 100 yards on old bulls post run isnt always gonna happen.

Not sure what that has to do with the original question, but thanks for taking the time to virtue signal on your self imposed max range?

Lots of empty freezers if you only hunt 100 yards and in out west...speaking from experience as a bowhunter as well. Getting inside of 100 yards on old bulls post run isnt always gonna happen.

Not sure what that has to do with the original question, but thanks for taking the time to virtue signal on your self imposed max range?
Be sure and post a photo of your trophy.

Be sure and post a photo of your trophy.
Be sure to post a pic of you feeder and ground blind👍

And good luck promoting hunting only 100 yards and in on a forum full of long range shooters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to post a pic of you feeder and ground blind👍

And good luck promoting hunting only 100 yards and in on a forum full of long range shooters.
I don't have a ground blind. I grow corn for my deer. As you can see, been a while since I needed a feeder. The elk are up on that mountain in the back ground. When the corn is done, I hand feed them apples. They seem to be happy here. Lot of work for an elk... Unless you hire a guide to do the heavy lifting and processing.
1667863093547.jpeg
IMG_7640.JPG

1667863276073.jpeg

I don't have a ground blind. I grow corn for my deer. As you can see, been a while since I needed a feeder. The elk are up on that mountain in the back ground. When the corn is done, I hand feed them apples. They seem to be happy here. Lot of work for an elk... Unless you hire a guide to do the heavy lifting and processing.
View attachment 7993773View attachment 7993774
View attachment 7993775
My elk comes out in quartered in my pack with every year, along with the single man tent and all my gear. The hard work and adventure is the fun part, the freezer full of meat is the bonus.

Born and raised in the PNW, I know it well.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
DA combines barometric pressure and altitude into one handy number. Just run out a dope chart for reasonable DA values. You should be able to get several hundred yards X 5 or 6 DA values on a 3x5 card. Tape that to your stock or put it in a wrist coach. You won’t need super high granularity in either yardage or DA.

Reactions: Vandy321