• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Dope on Glass

greenbr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2011
Afghanistan
Hey to all those in cyber land I guess this question is more for the LEO or S.W.A.T. shooters I’ve never collected any DOPE shooting thru glass so wondering what projectile is better for shooting thur glass and if angle of windshield means different aim point for point of impact and soforth just wanna hear your thoughts and experiences on the matter…..

Re: Dope on Glass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLGator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if angle of windshield means different aim point for point of impact </div></div>

it does , but im no expert, my understanding is the bullet will move in the opposite direction of the glass. ( perpendicular to the angle of the glass i guess)

Unless your target is standing within a few inches of the glass, there will usually be a deflection of the bullet as it goes through the glass. This of course all depends on the angle of fire into the glass, the thickness & design of the glass & design of the bullet.

Most LEO's uses a Bonded bullet designed to keep the lead core from separating from the jacket....or using a totally solid copper bullet...There are too many variables to give you "sure-fire" DOPE on shooting through glass.....

Saw just this on Shooting Gallery TV the show from Wed night on outdoor channel was about an LE/MIL symbolism in Reno NV. "One Inch Too A Hundred Yards" were if to shoot out the windshield as it's is laminated glass a hollow point bullet would be needed to penetrate the windshield were the side windows are safety glass and will shatter

Hornady makes some TAP loadings specifically for shooting through glass. I have zero experience with this myself. Would love to play with it though.

At one time (not sure if it's changed since then either) a lot of LE dept's were using the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet for shooting through glass, for reasons that mgd45 stated above.