• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dope & Results @ 200, 300, & 400 yds-Fed Am Eagle

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Had a perfect day today, very little wind, 70 deg. F, & sunny!

Ammo is Federal American Eagle 40 gr. solid, Averages 1248 fps in my gun, an Anschutz 64 MPR. $1.59 a box! Shoots consistent .3-.5" 50 yard groups, twice as big as Wolf ME but 1/4 the price.

Groups at 100 yards on out seem to be the same as Wolf, as I think environmental conditions seem to overshadow the accuracy advantage.

The dreaded SUBSONIC TRANSITION from HV ammo seems to be a myth, at least in my gun and this ammo. A true BR shooter would probably see a difference.

I cut my front base down and bedded both to gain about 35 MOA, I want to be able to dial to 500 yards!!

All dope is in SMOA, ie, INCHES @ 100 yards

Everything shot off bipod and rear beanbag on my bench...
DSC03421.jpg

My range, the 400 yard stuff is barely visible, this pic is at 3x zoom............
DSC03419.jpg

200 yards.........
DSC03426.jpg

300 yards is a 6 inch square piece of steel, hit it a bunch. My boy shot it a lot.
DSC03424-1.jpg

400 yard 10 shot group, measures 4" wide X 12" tall, can be seen on the left side of this 16" x 20" steel, bullet is running around 730 fps....
DSC03425.jpg

Dope......
DSC03422.jpg

Hope to go to 500 yards soon, I'll have to go to another range, though, mine is tapped out @ 400!

Re: Dope & Results @ 200, 300, & 400 yds-Fed Am Eagle

It's cool, @ 400 you have time to work the bolt and almost get back on target before you hear the "ding"!

HB

That vertical 12 inch group at 400 is interesting. With basically no wind it would appear that the vertical stringing is a function of ammunition velocity consistency from shell to shell.

Marc,

I´d say that you are right about that, the low BC of the 22 slug and the low and some what inconsistent Vo is the culprit in that spread.

Still that is some good shooting, Hellbender

/Chris

is this the bulk pack of american eagle stuff?

I hate it when I only have room in my backyard for a 400yd range
smirk.gif

nice shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is this the bulk pack of american eagle stuff? </div></div>

Yep, I also got great results with it in my custom Quad. It beat most of the match ammo I was testing at the same time... including Federal 711B.

can you guys tell me if this is copper plated or lead ammo?

hoping i can pick some up to test in my MK II this weekend and if itll run in my conversions too thatd be awesome.

I ran some remington subsonic to 200 day couple weeks ago and groupings were about 8 inches or so. But its proven to be pretty inconsistent even at 100.

Lead. These are part# AE5022

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you guys tell me if this is copper plated or lead ammo?

hoping i can pick some up to test in my MK II this weekend and if itll run in my conversions too thatd be awesome.

I ran some remington subsonic to 200 day couple weeks ago and groupings were about 8 inches or so. But its proven to be pretty inconsistent even at 100. </div></div>

As stated, it is 40 gr. lead in 50 round boxes, look at some of my other posts over the last couple of weeks and you can find more shooting details at closer ranges and more specs on this ammo and comparisons to Wolf ME.

I bought it to blast in my AR22, and it ends up shooting unbelievably well for $1.59 a box ammo! I bought 20,000 rounds!
HB

Great info. Thanks for sharing. That's impressive at 400 yards. Longest for my 22LR is a 300 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that bench made of white oak or white pine? Just curiority.... </div></div>

It's CCA treated white pine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marc,

I´d say that you are right about that, the low BC of the 22 slug and the low and some what inconsistent Vo is the culprit in that spread.

Still that is some good shooting, Hellbender

/Chris </div></div>

I agree with you, the velocity spread is around 40-45 fps or so, but 9 of those shots are only about 2.75" vertical.

I shot an almost identical group with this ammo 2 days later. A lucky 5 shot may be a fluke, but 2 each 10 shot groups on different days is not.

HB

That's interesting, I have MISERABLE results with AE stuff from all of my 22's from 25-100 yards. 1" groups @ 25 from a bolt action that I've shot 1" at 100y from Federal cheapo bulk ammo on the same day, within 5 mins of each other.

The remaining 900 rounds I fed through my 22/45 plinking steel plates at 25 yards, mostly hitting what I was aiming at. I'm curious how our results are so very different.

Nice post...I also shoot American Eagle 40gr hp and I love it !!!

I practice with mine out to 400 yards on clay pigeons and its a pleasure to watch the vapor trail and see it all happen in the scope
mine is a remington 541-T
long range .22's are very good practice....any wind and its amazing how far even a little breeze will change your impact

is ae still puting 40 shells instead of 50 the little boxes ? i know they used to ,it pissed me off so much i swore never to buy anymore

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you guys ever tryed the 40 grain copper stuff that they make? </div></div>

Yes, 1 time.

Nice work, I keep mine on 100y zero and use CCI Target standard velocity tho...

Great post, good job shooting too.

I got very similar 400 yard data. 56 min up from my 100 yard zero which is about 5.5MOA up from the 50 yard so 61.5MOA at 400 yards

Savage Mark II BTVS .22LR, Bushnell 6500 elite 2.5-16 mil.

Here is a quick video for 400 yards just playing with some Winchester T22. The American Eagle AE5022 stuff is much more consistent at 100 yards than this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHI4C9BIdj8

Great report. I sometime do better groups with HV rounds than I do with subsonics at 200 yds. But my rifle has a 27 inch barrel. The remington 513T. I just purchased a kidd heavy barrel for another project I am building and was wondering what kind of stock that is. I would like an anshutz style or mcmillian but have a hard time finding one that is ambidextrous or for us little lonely south paws. Again great job and thanks for sharing.

Imurhuckleberry-It's the factory Anschutz MPR stock that I've added on a cheek and forend piece, flush cups, etc. Look up some of my old posts and you can see the additions.

I like your name BTW, he really played that part well!

This is incredible. Have you calculated bullet energy at 400? I imagine it's barely enough to "ring" the steel. Do the bullet just smash flat and fall straight down?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteKnight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is incredible. Have you calculated bullet energy at 400? I imagine it's barely enough to "ring" the steel. Do the bullet just smash flat and fall straight down? </div></div>

It's running about 730 FPS (calculated, I'm not brave enough risk my chronograph @ 400 yds!!)

I didn't really look for the bullets. But you can easily hear the hits.