• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Do's and Don'ts when squading with "Pro" level shooters?

Senor_Barney

Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Northern California
    I'll be traveling to my first out-of-state Pro Series match this month. Squadding is pretty full and what's left have a good deal of top-level "Pros" left. I'm talking current Top-10 or shooters that are consistently placing at Pro series matches. For context, my best PRS Pro series finish was 70%....so it's honestly a bit intimidating.

So here's my question: What do I need to know about squadding with these Pro? Any advice, unwritten rules, or best practices?

- Be ready when it's my turn: don't dick around for another 2-3 min loading mags and getting dope. Know the COF

- Be helpful: Spot, Shag brass, share equipment is needed

- Be responsible with questions: Read the room and know when to ask...somepeople have a rhythm...don't throw them off

- Be friendly

I have yet to meet an asshole yet while shooting...and likely Pros are totally cool...but I know these guys are competing for wins and prestige whereas I'm still competing to improve/get experience/have fun. I would hate to be "that guy" that Effs up something for someone else.

Last edited:
    Dude just go shoot and have fun. All
    Of the “pros” I have met have been awesome and willing to help.

I think just being a good squad mate and not trying to beat them off goes a long way lol.

My advice is when you’re coming up to shoot and your third in line go ahead to start getting everything ready. As soon as your done shooting reset, reload mags, and get back to being a good squad mate.

Above all just watch them and the small techniques they use.

I highly recommend bringing gifts for any "pro" you squad with. A box of Berger Hybrids is a great way to break the ice. The higher the pro ranked in the previous season the higher price the gift should be. If they are from Oklahoma you might consider home decorations that look good in a trailer house.

honestly is the best policy as they say, so call misses when they are shooting. It’s also good to test the other spotters by yelling “re-engage” every 2-3 impacts so you can tell if they’re giving them free points or not.

They are generally no different than the rest of the guys that shoot matches save for maybe a couple of them. Don’t be up their butts about stuff, be ready, attentive, etc. all the things you mentioned and you’ll be fine.

Above all else, shoot your own match. Listen to advice, watch what they do, but don’t just mimic them because they’re “pro” or cleaned a stage.

Reactions: kthomas
    fetchimage.jpeg

There are Pro's?

Don't you mean "Pro's".....?

Reactions: hellzna
    A gift bag with a gift of at least $100 each to start the day. Then of course the ceremonial buying and serving of lunch for them. Remembering to not turn your back when backing away after service. Do not look them in the eye when talking and call them my lord or lady. Should be fine with that.

Oh boy. That got out of hand quickly.
    I posted this as a serious legit question, but I forgot...it's Hide.....:p haha

If you didn't get it from the joking, there is no difference than shooting with anyone you shoot with. "Pros" aren't anything special and if they think they are then they are probably an asshole to begin with. ;) Be safe.

Pretty much every PRS 2-day has volunteers RO’ing/Spotting/Scoring, so it’s not like anything you do is going to be impactful on someone else’s match performance.

If a “pro’s” excuse for doing bad at a 2-day match is “there was a new guy on my squad”, that should tell you everything you need to know.

You need to do the same on the "pro" squad or the newbie squad.
    Be prepared and ready.
    Help move things along, score, spot, snag brass, etc if needed.
    Be safe!

If you REALLY want to see how good they are turn their turrets a full rotation and don’t tell them. Watch them make an awesome correction on a second shot…..

Lmao in my shooting group there is probably 8 impact, foundation builds, multiple them have the same optics on them as well. With that being said I have seen people
    Pick guns up make turret adjustments and it was the wrong rifle lol. It has been some interesting matches!

If you REALLY want to see how good they are turn their turrets a full rotation and don’t tell them. Watch them make an awesome correction on a second shot…..

Lmao in my shooting group there is probably 8 impact, foundation builds, multiple them have the same optics on them as well. With that being said I have seen people
    Pick guns up make turret adjustments and it was the wrong rifle lol. It has been some interesting matches!
    That has happened to me before. Had a shooter I had never met before come tell me he accidentally dialed my turrets thinking it was his rifle but wanted to let me know he had reset them to zero. Guess I didn’t have enough stickers on my rifle to set myself apart

Show up ready to “whoop their ass”, fuck those guys! This is your match and your squad. It’s only a matter of time before you are on top of that podium.

Treat them like shit so they know you aren't fanboing. Need to establish dominance early. I suggest pissing on a legg or railing one of their wives before the first stage.

Also, asking them "I thought you were a good shooter?" after they bomb a stage is a go to.

The truth is, when you realize the PRO you are gushing over is some loser who works at jiffy lube or in a cube writing TPS reports during the day, you care less about what their name is and actually care if they are a cool/good squadmate. Some are, some aren't.

I have yet to meet an asshole yet while shooting...and likely Pros are totally cool...but I know these guys are competing for wins and prestige whereas I'm still competing to improve/get experience/have fun. I would hate to be "that guy" that Effs up something for someone else.

If its anything like USPSA shooting you're going to realize that the 'pros' are a bunch of people that play grab ass on the range and are completely laid back and friendly and non stop shit talk each other.

Act normal and don't let it impact 'your' match, just because they're in contention for a title doesn't mean you need to somehow cater to them...don't let them live rent free in your head.

Reactions: Modoc
    It’s like shooting with random ass people. You don’t know them, they don’t know you. Just vibe man. But pay attention to what they do. May learn something from them.

Show up like the pro

Covered in stickers and sponsor logos everywhere

Talk to nobody. Or they’ll sniff you out immediately

Sign stuff for random kids like you’re Lebron James

Have those peasants fetching your brass and kissing your ass to learn the secrets

At the end of the day find something wrong with your setup to blame the poor shooting on. A vortex scope crapping the bed is a good and believable bet

they are hit or miss, I’ve been in and out of it for 14 years and the past 5 years I’ve had plenty of times they irritate the fuck out of me. Some are cool people and some are frankly annoying and literally do all of the things that don’t make a good squad mate. Don’t brass buddy, don’t lift a finger to take a turn RO’ing, time keeping or spotting for the score keeper. Some take an eternity to get off the firing line while jerking themselves off and aren’t ready to go when it’s their turn etc etc etc…. All examples of which I saw at Box canyon a couple weeks ago. And basically every two day match I have been to the past few years. So fuckem call them out for it if you want you’ll feel better about it actually.

Do: Talk to them. Ask for advice. Most are happy to share.
    Don't: Talk to them while they are writing down dope. If there is one time to not bother someone (not just "pros") its while writing down dope. I've seen many people, myself on both ends, cause wrong dope written down because of conversation.

This happened to me recently:

Them: “Do you know who that is?”

Me: “No.”

Then: “That’s Firstname Lastname!”

Me: “I still don’t know who that is.”

-Stan

Take a pack of donuts, and give them one before they shoot and say you're a fortune teller..

Also stand uncomfortably close when talking because you are both wearing hearing protection. Also ask for their load data, drop data and wind calls as you hand them said donut. Do it every stage, or at least once an hour.

they are hit or miss, I’ve been in and out of it for 14 years and the past 5 years I’ve had plenty of times they irritate the fuck out of me. Some are cool people and some are frankly annoying and literally do all of the things that don’t make a good squad mate. Don’t brass buddy, don’t lift a finger to take a turn RO’ing, time keeping or spotting for the score keeper. Some take an eternity to get off the firing line while jerking themselves off and aren’t ready to go when it’s their turn etc etc etc…. All examples of which I saw at Box canyon a couple weeks ago. And basically every two day match I have been to the past few years. So fuckem call them out for it if you want you’ll feel better about it actually.
    IME truly good pros are the nicest people you'll meet.

It's the ones that think they're good and want you to know it that are the asshats

YMMV

M

Just show up and have fun.

These people aren't "professionals" by any sense of the definition - they are plumbers, bankers, electricians, etc that happen to be good at this particular hobby. There isn't anything athletically special about them, you aren't shooting next to Michael Jordan. These are ordinary people who live ordinary lives and shoot on the weekends.

Use it as an opportunity to see how really good shooters shoot stages, but don't be tempted into trying to shoot stages using equipment or techniques you haven't really practiced before. Simple things feel free to employ, but don't make any dramatic changes in the middle of a match/stage.

Have fun and use it as a learning experience. Don't over think it.

IME truly good pros are the nicest people you'll meet.

It's the ones that think they're good and want you to know it that are the asshats

YMMV

M

I would say in my experience most are pretty good and very eager to help newer shooters. The MDT team is awesome for that. They were really good in helping a brand new shooter at the last match I attended, I was impressed.

I've had experiences with other pro shooters and teams in years past that were less than impressive and "professional". That was years ago though, and I've had a few years hiatus from the sport before shooting a match again early this year. The sport has changed a lot in that time, and I would like to think the "pros" have gotten better.

If most pro teams are like the MDT team, I think the sport is heading in the right direction. Of course there's always going to be a few bad apples, and the human condition is one that's flawed and imperfect.

they are hit or miss, I’ve been in and out of it for 14 years and the past 5 years I’ve had plenty of times they irritate the fuck out of me. Some are cool people and some are frankly annoying and literally do all of the things that don’t make a good squad mate.

I mean.... statistically speaking the distribution of asshole human beings applies to shooting sports just like it does everywhere else in our lives lol.

I used to race some pretty fast sailboats and it was always a blast fighting for position on the starting line with some random AC skipper (although that was usually the last time of the race that I wasn't reading boat names). Not many sports around where a rookie can have access to a super-experienced pro.

I would acquire a Quigley Ford Jersey, by whatever means possible, and wear it the entire time you are there. No need for pants or anything else the jersey will cover you just fine.

Make sure to go up and pick up a couple pieces of brass then get on a knee pretending like you are picking up more brass and ask them secretly what their wind call was when they bomb a stage. This shows respect.

Also grab their rifle and complement them on the color and weight.

Make sure to follow them back to their bag after they finish up and explain how you think they blew the stage and offer advice. Pro shooters are always learning!

Just have fun and ask them tons of questions. And no matter how they respond disagree and confirm your bias. People appreciate it when you don’t always agree or listen to them.

Ask tons of questions

Pro shooters rarely get the chance to recall everything they’ve learned throughout their shooting careers

So attempting to get 10 years worth of knowledge out of them between stages really helps them stay on top of the game

Better yet find a restaurant or bar they attend post match and recollect your entire match with them there