• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Dot Sight For G22?

steve_podleski

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2007
Looking for recommendations for a dot sight on a Glock 22 that replaces the rear sight for around $200. Is the Vortex Venon a decent sight?

I prefer Trijicon RMR's on a milled slide for full size pistols, but for this M&P22 with alloy slide, not enough slide top thickness to mill out and flush mount the red dot. So, used an Evolution Gun Works dovetail mount for Vortex Razor and it works nicely for backyard varmints. EVG has dovetail mounts for Glock that will adapt to Venom or Razor model.

Obviously, the dovetail mount option obviates using BUIS; however, modern red dots are pretty robust.

IMG_9196a copy.jpg
IMG_9177a copy.jpg
IMG_0072 copy.JPG

I'm going to try a SeeAllNite sight on a Glock.

It can mount right on the dovetail but I want to machine the slide top so the slide weight doesn't increase too much.

I can see the appeal of that combo -- it's inexpensive, it allows DIY installation with no permanent mods to the gun, and the mount is generic so other optics can potentially be swapped in -- but there might be some issues with it. I don't know anything about Glocks or that particular sight, but you may want to consider this list of general requirements for slide-mounted red-dot sights:

1. Must not interfere with proper cycling of the action. That Ultradot sight alone weighs four ounces, and the mount probably adds at least another half ounce. Compare that to an RMR at 1.2 ounces or a Vortex Razor at 1.4. As I said, I don't know anything about Glocks, but it would be worth looking into whether a 4.5-ounce increase in slide weight will still allow the pistol to cycle normally with the ammunition you plan to use.

2. Must be physically rugged. The Ultradot sight is over 3 inches long -- nearly twice as long as an RMR -- and most of its bulk is at the front end, cantilevered out over the slide on that mount. A lot of stress may be put on the dovetail, both by recoil and by any accidental impacts to the front of the sight/mount assembly. You might want to get some real-life reviews from people who've used the combo to see whether this was a problem.

3. Must hold zero. The length of the mount may cause a problem here, too, even if the sight itself can hold its zero (which you may also want to ask about from people who've used it, since some red-dot sights can't take the shock when they're slide-mounted).

4. Should be as close to the bore as possible. The mount/sight stackup looks pretty compact, but it still puts the dot higher over the bore than a flush-mounted sight would, and much higher than if the slide were milled and a lower-profile sight without a Picatinny mount were dropped in.

5. Nice if the design allows cowitnessed iron sights for backup (or to help acquire the dot). The Shooter Box mount replaces the rear iron sight, and the dot will be so high that the front blade won't be visible through the window. Reflex sights mounted in a milled slot don't have that problem.

If the Shooter Box / Ultradot combo doesn't have any of those issues, awesome -- the combined price is way lower than the cost of many others. But if you're like me, then no amount of cost savings will make you happy if what you bought doesn't work right.

Whether you go with this combo or some other solution, best of luck. Red dot sights can make a huge difference.

Oh, and one more thing to consider with a long sight like that Ultradot: If the window is mounted too close to the ejection port, some guns may eject brass into it, and/or the window can get fouled with carbon. The carbon doesn't matter too much on the front (muzzle) side of the window if you're shooting with both eyes open, but if it gets on the rear of the window it'll degrade the clarity of the dot.

Oh, and one more thing to consider with a long sight like that Ultradot: If the window is mounted too close to the ejection port, some guns may eject brass into it, and/or the window can get fouled with carbon. The carbon doesn't matter too much on the front (muzzle) side of the window if you're shooting with both eyes open, but if it gets on the rear of the window it'll degrade the clarity of the dot.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply! I agree I was worried about the catilevered mount design. I have the conventional ultradot red dot sight mounted on my M1911 bullseye slide and it works great and Ultradots are the most popular bullseye dot sight. I would hope the Pan UV would take the recoil. But I am still considering the Vortex Venom :) The Aimpoints cost too much for my budget :(