• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Double Tap 40 Super Brass

spradley

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2012
Leeds, Alabama
For those who load 40 Super what is your opinion on Double Tap brass for this caliber?

I prefer Starline which uses the small primer but Double Tap's 40 super brass uses large primers.

I've read this caliber has suffered from primer flow but I'm hoping that was early in its development with loads on the higher end of the spectrum.

Can the assumption be made that where you can use a small rifle primer in place of a small pistol primer to prevent flow you could use a large rifle primer in place of a large pistol primer?

opinions?

thanks,
Gary

In the small size, both rifle and pistol primers are the same height, however in the large size, the rifle primers are about .006" taller than the pistol primers. I did the load development work for Triton back in 1998. The pre-production cases all had large pistol primer pockets and primer flow was certainly a problem. For testing purposes, I started using large rifle primers and seated them hard in the pockets......probably not the best idea, but this was for R&D. That virtually eliminated the primer flow problems.

As far as powders go, I had the best luck with Power Pistol with light bullets and AA#7 with the heavier ones.

Tony

Last edited: