• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing double tapping AR??

ftchmup

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2008
Kenosha, WI
Just got it together and on testing, I get DTs. I am wondering if I am over gassing, too light/heavy spring, or trigger? I am going back Monday, just wanted to have all fixes in the bag so to speak,

Thanks Mike

Re: double tapping AR??

what kind of trigger?

If it has a lighter pull wieght, make sure you are not bumping the trigger. "Press and Hold" is the proper technique. I have experienced the same thing with a Jewell trigger with a light pull.

my take is you got the trigger and or hammer spring installed incorrectly....find an exploded view of the assembly and seat the springs correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">better watch behind you. a malfunctioning AR is now a federal offense. </div></div>

+1

+1, I had that happening to me and the trigger spring wasn't loaded up enough cus it was in wrong. check that and try again.

I would look at the trigger, if you installed a jewell, JP etc you might have done something wrong,

I still have not figured out how people manage to actually shoot rifles like this, if its mechanical you should have caught in when doing a function check.

Its a Timney and I needed to continue pressure. Thanks for the responses. Isnt going to the range function testing, since it is a one piece, the weapon functioned in the shop. Thanks again, Mike

This "issue" has been brought up before. The double tap has happened to me, and the rifle will pass a function check with out issue. I have also seen this happen with my Les Baer 45 while being shot by another person, not giving it a full squeeze to the rear.
The reply I posted above was in line with what others have posted here on the Hide in the past, Persons that have Distinguished Marksmen badges as an avatar, and are usually spot on. I have picked up some very good information from them that has worked for me.

I was not aware the an improperly installed spring would cause this to occur, but will make note of it and keep it in mind in the future.

For those unfamiliar with a function check on an AR type rifle it is performed as follows...

With an unloaded weapon with out a magazine in the mag well.
1. Pull charging handle to the rear, inspect chamber to ensure it is empty.
2. Release the charging handle allowing the bolt to go forward. (do not "ride" the charging handle forward.)
3.Place the weapon on "SAFE"
4.Pull the trigger, the hammer should not fall.
5.Rotate selector switch from "SAFE" to "SEMI" or "FIRE" depending on how it is marked.
6.Pull the trigger and hold it fully to the rear. Hammer should fall.
7.With the trigger depressed, pull the charging handle to the rear and release.
8.Now release the trigger, you should hear a click as you release the trigger.
9.Squeeze the trigger again. The hammer should fall.

If a Class III rifle...
(FULL AUTO)
10.Place selector to "AUTO"
11.Pull charging handle to the rear and release.
12.Squeeze trigger, and hold to the rear. Hammer should fall.
13.Pull back charging handle and release.
14.Release the trigger and pull it again, the hammer should not fall because it will have fallen when the bolt went forward.

Thats a post I can use and was not referring to your previous post at all. Again thanks for the useful info guys.

Mike

If it still doubles when you hold the trigger to the rear, split the upper and lower and check your disconnector and make sure the hammer is being caught by it when you hold the trigger to the rear.

I will side with it being a double tap or bump fire as the ak crowd calls it. Hang
on to the gun a little firmer and follow through on the trigger pull as stated. Nothing
to fear from atf if it's bump firing, you are in fact pulling the trigger twice. A true
auto two round burst is so fast it sounds like one round to most people, bump
firing is always noticed at the range and people only think it's auto.