• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Double taps with my LMT

Conrad101st

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
OK
I keep getting double taps with my LMT MWS. It's a stock trigger and the FCG is fine. It's got something to do with the way I'm controlling the weapon on the bench and the trigger pull. I'm really trying to absolutely squeeze the trigger and let it break clean. Thoughts?

Never happens on my ar15.

Make sure you are pinning the trigger to the rear with your finger when you squeeze the trigger- and all the way through recoil. If your touch is too light then the recoil of the rifle (much more violent than an AR15) can cause you to pull the trigger again. The mantra of "the break of the trigger should surprise you" doesn't always lend itself to good results with the large frame AR pattern rifles.

What hlee said re: holding the trigger back until the rifle has fully cycled. Once the rifle has cycled, release the trigger slowly and just enough to allow the trigger to reset so it is already "staged" and ready to fire upon squeezing the lighter, second stage. You shouldn't have any accidental discharges of your rifle if you can do the above UNLESS there IS something wrong with the FCG.

Yeh, that's what I figured - I'm not pulling the pistol grip too much to the rear and I guess I'm squeezing uber slow like on my bolt rigs. Need to play with it till I get it figured out. Was using my left hand to pull the weapon tight against my shoulder.
I'm not recoil sensitive either. Just my technique sucks apparently for a semi.

What hlee said re: holding the trigger back until the rifle has fully cycled. Once the rifle has cycled, release the trigger slowly and just enough to allow the trigger to reset so it is already "staged" and ready to fire upon squeezing the lighter, second stage. You shouldn't have any accidental discharges of your rifle if you can do the above UNLESS there IS something wrong with the FCG.
+1 on what ORD said. I seen a few bolt action shooters over the years have similar problems milking the trigger on a semi as they did on their bolt actions.

Last edited:
It's a bump fire caused by not having the stock all the way into your shoulder and a loose grip and light trigger finger. I can do it on demand. The fix is a solid but not tight grip with trigger hand, drive the rifle all the way through the shot, full trigger pull before letting trigger reset, rifle butt on your shoulder not out floating away. Nothing wrong with the rifle. It's your loft.

Well...that's not good if indeed it is a mechanical issue involving the carrier/hammer interplay. Not sure what exactly would cause that problem, especially given that various different triggers/hammers were used with the same results, but it'll certainly be interesting to see how this turns out. If the rifles were mine, they'd be headed back to LMT once more with the additional evidence of the mechanical failures experienced by numerous highly competent/qualified individuals who could all get the problem to repeat.

I think it was my technique verses a mechanical issue. My shots were stringing vertically also which apparently indicates a loose grip - which I freely admit to. I shoot bolt mainly and got in the habit on basically using bench rest technique. I barely touch the rifle and I spent all my mental focus on breaking the trigger ever so slowly and smoothly. I play judo and was quite used to getting slammed repeatedly in drills so I never really minded having a weapon slam into me verses pushing me back as unit. So it was slamming into me bouncing back against my finger which was lightly floating out here b/c I had minimal grip - in fact no grip. My thumb was outside the pistol grip.

Insayin, it's not a mechanical issue, it's your loft. If you or anybody on the planet earth can find the mechanical reason how a BCG would drag a trigger from a disconnect, please enlighten us. I could get my LMT to double tap with the factory trigger and now with a Geiselle SSA-E just by limp holding the rifle. Problem is solved by good technique.

Last edited:
All I'm certain of is that if I had a gun that could possibly be firing more than one round with a single pull of the trigger I would not be posting about it on the Internet. But that's me.

If something is dragging on the hammer hard enough to pull it loose from the disconnect, there should be some wear marks. With the hammer in the fired position get hold of it, and twist on it, see if there is any play there. Of course check the engagement surfaces as well. Do the LMTs have spring loaded firing pins?

^^^^^ka-bang^^^^ blue up the BCG and trigger and post a photo of where this alleged design flaw is manifesting itself. Cause for a full blow recall if it can be proven.

I see this all the time, it is not the gun. Guys have the same issue when they go to a trigger like the Geissele S3G, if you float the trigger it will fire a 2nd shot under recoil because you are in the sweet spot between firing and reset. If you are not getting a dead trigger after the 2nd shot, tighten it up and you will be good to go. "it" being you.

I keep getting double taps with my LMT MWS. It's a stock trigger and the FCG is fine. It's got something to do with the way I'm controlling the weapon on the bench and the trigger pull. I'm really trying to absolutely squeeze the trigger and let it break clean. Thoughts?

Never happens on my ar15.

I had a Geissele, that did this with an AR10. I increased the pressure needed by a few ounces and it has never happened since. I suspect it is like others are saying that it is a combo of a light trigger and not a firm enough grip. (bump fire)

--Dan