• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Doug from Camera Land's Day 1 SHOT Show Report

gr8fuldoug

Supporting Vendor
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2006
Old Bethpage NY
www.cameralandny.com
Camera-Land-728x90-120222.gif

5c4647d73d868775d61ec26b_logo300.png

SHOT_Vegas.jpg

Doug from Camera Land's Day 1 SHOT Show Report

SHOT Show Day 1 was a very busy day. I actually started yesterday with a Monday meeting with Kowa Optics. At this time Kowa is only revealing that we will see some new editions before the year is out. They have been on top of getting their new Alpha quality TSN-99 Series into us and they are extremely well reviewed.

A little out of the ordinary way for me to start SHOT Show this year, I met Rod of Astra Optix outside the main hall to discuss their HBX 1600B 10x42 Rangefinder Binocular. We spoke before Thanksgiving and Rod sent his HBX 1600B 10x42 Rangefinder Binocular into us to check out. It's a 10x42 1760 Yard LCD Laser Rangefinder Binocular. Nothing fancy, however, it does have Angle mode, Archery mode, Ballistic mode and Scan mode. It grabbed our interest because optically it was very pleasing and it's only $499.99. There's absolutely a place for a good optical quality 10x42 Rangefinding binocular that's only $499.99. It would great to meet with them and have a discussion and I believe we will be bringing these in. Stay tuned for more details.

I entered the show and headed over to a meeting with Athlon. Great to see my friend and rep Drake. After catching up he showed me the new HERAS SPR Riflescopes and their new Talos BTR Gen 2 Riflescopes . The Outdoor Wire was nice enough to post this Athlons Twenty-Four New Products Revealed article, which makes my writing easier. In my opinion Athlon is doing everything right to become a top optics brand. Every year Athlon refines and grows, without trying too much at once. They are impressive in the way they have developed as a company, listened to customer suggestions and refined their customer service.

Athlons new line of HERAS SPR Riflescopes pushes the envelope even further with features previously unheard of at this price point. The HERAS SPR offerings are incredibly versatile and cover a wide range of applications suitable to hunters, small-bore shooters, and air-gunners alike. This robust line is designed to handle the forward impulse of springer air guns, PCP and recoil from magnum centerfire rifles.

The Talos BTR Gen 2 Riflescopes
"It was hard to imagine a first focal plane rifle scope at under $400, but the first generation Talos BTR proved it could be done. The Talos BTR GEN2 builds on that reputation with improved turrets and the addition of a true precision zero stop. All while maintaining repeatable tracking and the affordable price! Fully Multi-Coated lenses and illuminated etched reticles enable the Talos BTR GEN2 to perform in a wide range of conditions."

Next I went to over to see Burris. To say I was blown away at what they showed me would be an understatement. I realize it's day 1 but I'm thinking the "Product of SHOT Show 2023" will be their newVeracity™ PH Riflescope 4-20x50mm. Featuring the new Burris PĒK (Programable Elevation Knob) System the Veracity PH takes speed and precision to the highest level. The Wind MOA was designed specifically for the Veracity PH and allows shooters to easily, dial to distance, compensate for wind, or quickly holdover.
Clean, simple FFP reticle with 1-MOA tick marks extending to 12 MOA on each side.
When crosshairs are set for zero at 100 yards each line on the lower vertical crosshair will be calibrated for 200, 300 and 400 yards respectively for the average big game caliber. Use the BurrisConnect app for an accurate reticle map for your prefered cartridge.
Progressively Thick Crosshairs (PTC) are very fine in the center and progressively thicker away from the center, for ultra-fast target engagement in low light at close ranges; effective at any magnification
Works seamlessly with the PĒK (Prgramable elevaltion knob) system and wind value in the Veracity PH heads up display. At $999.99 this scope is a winner. All these features in a standard designed riflescope (No odd bumps or whatnot in the design).

As if this introduction wouldn't have been enough next I checked out their new Signature LRF 10x42 Rangefiner Binocular (yes, LED with brightness control) 5 - 2600 yard range and priced below what I expected at only $999.99.

Just when I thought I couldn't be more impressed I was told about (They did not have one here) the Summer 2023 release of their coming Signature HD 15x56, Made in Japan binocular priced at only $799.99.

Burris, way to make Day 1 exciting, thank you.

As many of you know we went big halfway through last year with Revic Optics and Tripods. It was great meeting with them as I have been speaking with my rep for months and it was great to finally meet him. Their Tripods are excellent and so worth you taking a moment to investigate. We discussed their Acura Series Spotting Scopes with Reticle Eyepiece. My buddy said he really likes that the eyepiece is both MIL and MOS and not intrusive. The optical quality is superior to most. If you're not familiar with Revic Spotters you should be. Take a moment and check into them.

Next stop was at Pulsar to discuss what was exciting and new. I was not disappointed.

DXP50 - The world’s first multispectral hunting riflescope, the Thermion Duo combines the high-tech thermal imaging Pulsar is known for with the clarity and vividness of a full-color daytime optic.
Designed primarily for hunting, the Thermion Duo DXP50 has a detection range of 1800 yards. This highly versatile multispectral optic can defeat animal camouflage and fog on thermal mode and judge a prey’s trophy qualities in daylight with its full color mode. With its picture-in-picture feature, a hunter can simultaneously find an animal through dense fog or foliage with its 640x480 high-sensitivity thermal sensor while observing the area around it in full color 4k HD.
The Thermion Duo DXP50 boasts the wide range of practical features Pulsar products are known for, including one-shot freeze zeroing, 1024x768 photo and video recording with audio, Wi-Fi integration with the Stream Vision 2 app, and advanced image processing.

LRF XG50 which is the 1st thermal imaging riflescope with classic design and built in LRF. A standard 6ft tall object can be detected up to 2500 yards away in complete darkness. 5 individual shooting profiles and 50 zeroing distances.

Then I was shown the new LRF XL50 Thermal Rangefinder Binoculars. Holy Crap. This thing is amazing. Variable 2.5-20x magnification range, classic binocular design, built in photo and video recorder.

I was looking forward to my next meeting at Swarovski. I got to catch up with my buddies for a bit and then we discussed what's been going on with their new computer system and the issues with folks getting in contact. I was informed the best way to reach Swarovski is through your computer, not by calling.
To Request Service or Parts visit myservice.swarovski.com Remember to enter as much detail about your optic as possible to help them help you. Model, serial # who you are, your phone # and e-mail and they will get back with you. Please be patient while they settle into this upgraded computer system, which in the long run will make things better than ever.

Last years "Best of Show" IMO was the Meopta MeoSport R 3-15x50 RD SFP-4C Riflescope. Apparently many of you agree as we sold an insane amount of these scopes in the past year. There will be more additions later this year similar to this scope, but nothing to report on this quite yet. Stay tuned.
Meopta Introduced the MeoSight IV Red Dot Sight - This new red dot reflex sight is Meopta’s smallest, weighing just 1.2 ounces. Its ultra-low profile makes the MeoSight IV ideal for handguns. It can also be mounted to a primary riflescope for fast and accurate close-quarter target acquisition or mounted directly to an accessory rail.

Remember all week we are running a SHOT Show Week Sale so if it's not marked down already call, 516-217-1000, and we will hook you up.

If there is anything you're looking for please give us a call at 516-217-1000. It is always our pleasure to speak with you. Always give a call to discuss options and what would be best for your needs.

13,000 + steps later I arrived at the Gelato Shop and got a double scoop of Birthday Cake and ahhhhhh did that make my sore throat feel better.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. More tomorrow, Day 2. Have a great day & please follow us on Instagram at gr8fuldoug_ :)

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else that we can assist you with please let us know.

Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our web site @ www.cameralandny.com

As busy and time consuming as SHOT is, I simply appreciate a great write up for us chumps at home. I can see pics in the links if I want without him taking the time to both write up a summary and add in photos after a long day doing business.

There’s good reason Camera Land has been and continues to be one of the very best vendors on The Hide.

Thanks for the write up for those of us who couldnt make it.

It will be work, but Im up for it. Go ahead and front me one of these to review. :whistle: Ill take it out to the Game Refuge and get some night photos of the bison.

LRF XG50 which is the 1st thermal imaging riflescope with classic design and built in LRF. A standard 6ft tall object can be detected up to 2500 yards away in complete darkness. 5 individual shooting profiles and 50 zeroing distances.

Is it sad that my only take-away was you should have told Burris to kill moa and mill is the future?

I use a tape measure every day all day. And even I think it's dumb as hell to continue to use a variable standard based on 1/4 increments when we have a solid standard base 10 available to us (which can be split smaller, easily, for those very specific target scopes).

I was done buying moa 10 years ago. As soon as I see it's not available in mill I instantly lose interest.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
Interesting to see Athlon getting such a glowing review from you.

Did you happen to ask them if they are still shipping scope after scope with significant glass imperfections?

Out of 8 scopes they sent me, 6 had imperfections that lit up like Christmas trees when the illumination was turned on. The 7th had a mis-etched reticle and the turret graduations were mis aligned.

As soon as I see it's not available in mill I instantly lose interest.
Veracity™ PH Riflescope 4-20x50mm
"When crosshairs are set for zero at 100 yards each line on the lower vertical crosshair will be calibrated for 200, 300 and 400 yards respectively for the average big game caliber."
Yeah, well, Burris was probably planning on marketing it to the MOA-loving hunters....

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Interesting to see Athlon getting such a glowing review from you.

Did you happen to ask them if they are still shipping scope after scope with significant glass imperfections?

Out of 8 scopes they sent me, 6 had imperfections that lit up like Christmas trees when the illumination was turned on. The 7th had a mis-etched reticle and the turret graduations were mis aligned.
On more than one occasion, I've seen Doug go the extra mile to help someone and got himself involved in a situation where he, as a 3rd party, really had no obligation to do so. I'm guessing you bought your Athlon scopes from someone else.

Reactions: Doc68 and Sigma
On more than one occasion, I've seen Doug go the extra mile to help someone and got himself involved in a situation where he, as a 3rd party, really had no obligation to do so. I'm guessing you bought your Athlon scopes from someone else.

Of course. Should have made that clear. I just hate to see a company with such a poor CS standard get praise.

Of course. Should have made that clear. I just hate to see a company with such a poor CS standard get praise.
they sent you 8 scopes and you are complaining about customer service???????

that is a QC issue not a CS issue.

Reactions: Anb618
Yeah. Except when I specifically ask them to double check the replacements against that issue, which they admitted to me they know to be systemic, and it takes them 2 tries to still not get it right.

Biggest POS company I have ever personally experienced in the long range shooting space.

Are the Burris LRF binoculars Bluetooth enabled