• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Doughnut at shoulder/neck junction and long 6.5 Creedmoor bullets?

Ruger15151

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2020
For those of you that load Berger 140gr / 144gr Hybrid boat tails to magazine length, does anyone have any problems with "doughnuts" causing problems with neck tension? These bullets are long and by loading them to magazine length, the bullet has to be loaded so the bearing surface is well past the shoulder/neck junction.

Thank you in advance.

Usually doughnuts are an issue in higher power cartridges (like 338 Lapua) or wildcat cartridges where you’ve had to neck down brass.

So other than losing case capacity there isn't much of an issue with seating the bearing surface past the neck/shoulder junction with a 223, 6.5, or even a 308??

Correct. Doughnuts are a brass flow issue uncommon in smaller cartridges. Furthermore, if you were to get one the solution is simple. Send a mandrel through the neck and then neck turn your cases.

For those of you that load Berger 140gr / 144gr Hybrid boat tails to magazine length, does anyone have any problems with "doughnuts" causing problems with neck tension? These bullets are long and by loading them to magazine length, the bullet has to be loaded so the bearing surface is well past the shoulder/neck junction.

Thank you in advance.
Not 144 but I do load 140 hybrids w no issues.

I have .003 neck tension and use graphite neck lube.

I load 6.5 man bun to .010 from max mag length of MDT mags w the binder plate.

Not 144 but I do load 140 hybrids w no issues.

I have .003 neck tension and use graphite neck lube.

I load 6.5 man bun to .010 from max mag length of MDT mags w the binder plate.
How much freebore do you have and is the bearing surface below the shoulder neck junction when loading the 104s to mag length?