• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Douglas barrels any good?

Rlb40x

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
I ordered an stainless 18" 1-7 twist today, to finish my seekins precision type build. I figured I'd give it a shot since it was in stock and had a matching bolt. Has anybody had good results with one? It's going on a billet Irmt-3 billet upper, with an adjustable gas block, PRS stock, gueisley trigger,JP bolt carrier and the silent spring buffer, Steiner 4x14 and shot suppressed 99% of the time. It's been slow going,picking up parts here and there. Started with lower and scope about a year ago. Shot the lower with a colt 6940 upper just to check it out, and the trigger was great compared to the factory Colt. Going to load up some 77 match kings and hopefully try it out between Xmas and New Years. I know all barrels are different, but I was hoping someone has had some good results with Douglas. Merry Christmas everyone.

I am hardly an authority. Douglas used to be "THE" premium barrel maker years ago. For some reason there are many others that have become more popular? Then, I heard that a big match somewhere was won with a Douglas barrel, which apparently was a big surprise? I don't know if they make stainless but have been known for chrome moly for a long time? For what you are doing I don't think you will suffer much, if at all? BB

I have known the folks at Douglas barrels for MANY years now having grown up basically just over the hill from their shop. I have used many of their barrels over the years and would not hesitate one second to recommend them to anyone for one of the finest precision AR barrels available. I have gotten them straight from Douglas as well as from other highly regarded barrel magicians like CLE and they just plain SHOOT!

You won't be disappointed.

+1 on this . I have had a couple of rifles with Douglas barrels , never disappointing. Also +1 on CLE making a barrel.

Last edited:
+1 I have two MK12's (mod 1 and mod 0 ) both with Douglas barrels - both are very accurate. If I do everything right, both are sub moa at 100 - which makes me look better than I am.

Good barrels. There was a point in time when they were the ONLY game in town when it came to .20 caliber barrels, and one of the few that made .17 caliber barrels. And those barrels shot well, which says something (since the smaller the bore size, the more difficult it is to make due to the narrow/thin tooling).

You'll be happy with it, I'm sure...

You'll be very happy with your purchase. It will most likely shoot better than you can.

Good to hear. I know different barrel makers take turns, being the "hot barrel at the time". This one came from clr in Florida , so it was good to hear they do a good job on the finishing. Hope to have it together in the next week. Still have to work up a variety of loads and break it in. I'll prob start with H335,and H4895 that I have on hand. Thanks for the replies, this gives me some good confidence.

I have a hunting rifle with a Douglas barrel. It is one of the most consistent and accurate rifles I own, even compared to some match rifles.

Love the Douglas barrels they shot straight and accurate. If you call Douglas they recommend CLR. CLR also turns barrels for the military. Compass Lake is top notch rest assured you are getting a high quality barrel.

have 10,000 plus rounds through several 308 sniper rifles they flat out have shot well for many years and are still good enough they don't need replaced