• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Douglas barrels.

Re: Douglas barrels.

I recall reading they were 'soft'. I might be mistaken though.

My gunsmith says the stainless aren't the greatest, but likes their blued barrels.

I remember Barney Lawton telling me that if Douglas hand lapped their barrels, they would be one of the best.

I had an AR15 18" mid gas barrel made out of a Douglas barrel by Compass Lake Engineering and it was a great barrel. I said was because I sold the AR.
smile.gif
Sub-MOA results were the norm, and easy to clean.

I've used many Douglas barrels, once you give them a proper break in they are GTG.

I have 2, both shoot very well. They're not in the "popular clique" on this site, and I don't fully understand why. They're not a hand lapped barrel, however, the groups that they turn out on BR rifles speak for themselves. I don't agree either that Shilen's aren't excellent like I've seen written here as well.

I own several Shilen barrels as well, adn they all shoot.

my 243AI had a douglas barrel and i shot just as well as my Krieger....I am planning another Douglas barrel on my next ackley.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used many Douglas barrels, once you give them a proper break in they are GTG. </div></div>

They are not lapped, so break 'em in and you are gtg. I had a Rock Creek and had to break it in. Took about 60 rounds to get the fouling to stop, but it shot like a hammer. It is not just Douglas barrels that need a break in.

+1 for Douglass barrels. Both my .30-06 and .338WM(soon to be an Edge) have Douglass barrels and shoot easily sub half minute groups. I did lap both barrels and each cleans up quickly.

Another Douglass fan here. Have had at least 6. All stainless and nothing but good. Their prices dont make me cringe either.

I've got one of their stainless barrels on my .300 mag hunting rifle. Lightly worked over Ruger 77 I bought back in 2003. I really like it, easy to clean and accurate. I just recommended Douglas to my nephew due to performance, price(seem to be 10-15% less than competitors) and availability (midway stocks them).

I have a few Douglas barrels, and it seems everyone likes them.
My only complaint is that they are not lapped at the factory.
For not lapped, they are as good as barrels get, and expensive as barrels get that are not lapped.

I am not buying Douglas any more.

I have bought for my self and installed Krieger, Hart, Lilja, and Pac-Nor barrels that are lapped, but I am not buying them anymore, mostly because they are too expensive.

I now buy Lothar Walther Chrome Moly and Shilen Stainless, as the barrels that meet my standards at the minimum price.

I had an first or second year Ruger 77V in .220 swift that was an absolute 20 d. nail driver for 2 K rounds, Douglas made the barrel. I sold it to a guy in NM and its still driving nails! Im A+++ on Douglas

Does it count if I live on the same road as them? I'll be putting a Douglas barrel on my .308 when I burn the stock one out.

I was watching a gentlemen shooting a .223ai at the range with a douglas bbl. Boring, nearly the same hole every time.

I own two of em. And although i still havn't shot the second one.The #8 contour on my 300wizzum is a great performer!

I have a hunting rifle with a Douglas Blued Barrel. It shoots just fine for what I use it for. Not that I shoot it too often. The only time I shoot it at the range is to sight it in prior to a hunt, and I have only shot factory loaded hunting Ammo through it. I couldn't really comment on what groupings it gets.