• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Down side to 300wm?

blues2o

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I’m set on getting 30cal magnum as my next rifle. What are the pitfalls of reloading 300 win mag. Is there anything special to look for or special equipment I should look into.

Many folks don't like the belted case. Without a special collet die the case will bulge just above the belt with full-length sizing because most dies don't size all the way down. The collet die doesn't need to be used every time but it comes with a feature to drop check the cases to check for the bulge. Here's the link to the die: http://www.larrywillis.com

I have had several factory 300WM rifles over the years and the one thing I have noticed that makes the biggest difference in regards to brass and sizing is the chamber dimensions.
My savage 110FP has no issues with the case bulging in front of the belt but the the TC encore I had years ago was the complete opposite and the brass fired in that rifle was married to that rifle.

Downside is the belt. Not a deal breaker for me as I do have the collet die for sizing the belt area and it’s easy to use.
No other downfalls to me.

ammo cost , recoil , not every range will let you shoot there targets with magnum rounds so that could present it's own problem if you had no places to shoot it at . No idea on if its hard on equipment or not but It looks it , It also looks like a round I want in the future speaking of that I want every round I do not own yet and that list just keeps growing and a gun or so to shoot them from . From the little old 22 to the unrealistic 800 mm ha ha ha that would be so fun . if you get one good luck hope you have a lot of good luck with it which gun you thinking of to shoot it from ?

300 win mag is a fine case and is easy to reload for. Only real pitfalls are the OAL restrictions in magazines, especially with the heavier/longer bullets, and like everyone else mentions some people seem to have lots of issues with not being able to resize the web. I haven't experienced any issues with my web growing in any of my guns, so my collet die just sits in the box awaiting that fateful day.

My only issue with my Win Mag is recoil affect on all the many nuts and bolts in the gun, and behind it. Doesn't matter if I Loctite or not, the recoil of 50 to 100 rounds always loosens the same bedding bolt, sticks the AI folder stock's bolt to the point I have to tap the release button with my brass hammer to get it open, and of course reminds me of my archery-induced rotator cuff injury. Doesn't matter, the sight of the spinners flipping, the noise of the steel being hit by the 200 grain pills, makes me grin and load up more ammo.🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Thanks so far for the info. Im going to order a Bergara hmr pro next week. My hopes are to shoot around the 200 grain bullets. I have been reloading for around 5years with great results in 308,6.5,223. But a 300win mag is next on my bucket list, I have no real need for a magnum just always wanted one.

The biggest downside will be the eventual constant barrage of forum posts asking "Is the .300 Win Mag still relevant?" Yes, Virginia it is. It was relevant in 1963 and it will be still be relevant in 2063. Oh, and before you ask, the .30-06 is also still relevant.

Reactions: Bandit320
I have seen a few “is relevant “ threads I don’t get the question if you want to shoot it then it’s relevant. I thought about the 300prc but I have wanted a wing mag for so long. Just wasn’t sure if there was any major down sides to reloading.

I have seen a few “is relevant “ threads I don’t get the question if you want to shoot it then it’s relevant. I thought about the 300prc but I have wanted a wing mag for so long. Just wasn’t sure if there was any major down sides to reloading.

Sorry, I was being a little 'tongue in cheek', I haven't run in to any issues other than Lapua does not make brass for it. Other than that it's a great round to reload and shoot :)

The biggest downside will be the eventual constant barrage of forum posts asking "Is the .300 Win Mag still relevant?" Yes, Virginia it is. It was relevant in 1963 and it will be still be relevant in 2063. Oh, and before you ask, the .30-06 is also still relevant.

I was going to say, the biggest downside is that it's not a 300 PRC or 300 Norma so people will call it a fudd gun 😂

Reactions: powerspc
The belt is the source of its true power. The 300PRC looks like a steer in comparison, no balls hangin. :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: Oh yea the 30/06 is irrelevant, glocks are pieces of shit, and 40S&W is better than 9mm and 45ACP. Coke is better than Pepsi,pepperoni is better than sausage, dogs are better than cats, Chevy is better than ford, boxer and better than briefs. Prove me wrong. Definitely not trolling.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::poop:

Reactions: Bandit320
Coke is WAYYYYYY better than Pepsi..... wait, what was the question?